Minelab SD2000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also PhaseTech i just noticed you do training and accessories so i might be interested in a field training session for the Mrs and I if we can arrange something..

hi
i am looking at one to buy
dose anyone have one that they use
if so could you tell me what they are like
the good and bad points would be great
thanks

Hi all,
I have been offered a Sd2000 for $500 which for an older unit still seems like a good deal. I am going to the gents place tomorrow for a peek, I know these can be molded so what would be the things to look for or problems they get that o should also be looking for?
This will be my first detector and will use it in parks and on beaches as well as places like charters towers and Clermont areas.
Any advice on these units in any or all of these areas I will be using it would certainly be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi all, I have myself a un-modded Sd2000 with a 11" mono (commander I think) on it at the moment.
Is there any coils that would give me greater sensitivity without going to a tiny coil?
I am toying with getting it modded for better sensitivity later but looking at coils first.

Thank you
Mick

Hi Mick I think one of the new generation coils elite or evo would give you a lot of grief there is a new DD from detek that are getting good reports as far as getting the old sd modified the only thing that I would have done is a frequency switch regards john :)

I appreciate the input John, the frequency switch is what I was looking at maybe later but the toss up would be to spend money on this detector or upgrade to a 3000/3500 or the likes.
Any particular reason the newer generating coils would give me grief?

Cheets

Yes I think with the newer type coils [NF & ELITE] being a lot more sensitive you most likely would be on the ground balance all the time .What area do you live some dealer will let you try a coil for a day this would be the better way to go at least you will know how the detector will hand the ground with the latest's coils. Out of the 2 I would rather a 3500 the little green button is a big advantage ,I have fitted GB buttons to 3000 or a 4000 some are not far of the 3500 price I will put a post up on nf and elite on sd2000 regards john :)

Has anyone used or tried a elite or evo coil on a standard sd 2000 ,what state did you try it as the ground varies a lot from state to state.
What are your opinion on how the detector and coil worked together regards john :)

I have 1 MInelab SD2000 for sale , its in very good condition ,comes with battery but not used for 4 years
, has been handed down , comes with pick bases maps .

sheafy61 said:
I have 1 MInelab SD2000 for sale , its in very good condition ,comes with battery but not used for 4 years
, has been handed down , comes with pick bases maps .

Put it in the "For sale or swap" thread thats your best option to find a buyer. Minelab or otherwise best place to post a saleable item

Hi all,
New to this portion of the forum having been a pan and shovel man up till now.
Finally found what I thought was a great buy for an SD2000 and jumped in
It's with me now and it's had a hard life in WA, as a bonus it had already had the crystal mod performed - however the switch knob is busted off, just waiting on a replacement in post
I have opened it up and made sure the switch is selecting one of the stock, on board, frequencies and have been playing about outside to get a feel - I'm off grid and out bush so EMI isn't too big a deal
The detector seems to go into overdrive on most any target, I can ground balance but even a rusty nail an inch or two under sends the signal stuttering/machine gunning
Is this normal behaviour or is it indicative of an issue? If so does anyone know of likely culprits?
I will try to get a video of it misbehaving and upload tomorrow, thought I'd ask in case it was an easy pick for someone more knowledgable than I on the forum
Well this post got long quick so I'll sign off now- TIA

:D

Thanks, I've watched many a YouTube in the lead up to this and haven't heard one like this.
Feeling better to know it isn't completely out of the box strange

Latest posts