Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sdc rules on them porous bits, the 14x9 evo in Fine Gold on a 5000 gives it a very good run for the money though.

A 12" evo will handle any ground that an 11" commander is happy in, it all comes down to your settings. No need to over-rev the Rx Gain with the new coils as they already are very sensitive. Drop the Rx Gain a few clicks and the emi goes away as well. Or if the ground can handle a higher Rx, go for it, but to tame the emi you may have to go Quiet audio and set the Stabilizer to suit.

I think at the moment the only non-spiral coils I'll be keeping in my arsenal is the 8" detech mono, and 18" green minelab super gold search.

i have the standard 11 DD that came with the 4500 and the 14 camo elite, i have found gold with the DD but not the elite, where i was and would bet my last dollar my settings were wrong but i could not get the elite to shut up, all depends on settings, ability, situation, environment etc, i am a big believer in what ever suits the situation at that time is the best

jamie said:
i have the standard 11 DD that came with the 4500 and the 14 camo elite, i have found gold with the DD but not the elite, where i was and would bet my last dollar my settings were wrong but i could not get the elite to shut up, all depends on settings, ability, situation, environment etc, i am a big believer in what ever suits the situation at that time is the best
I have heard the elite can get noisy for some reason that's why I'm ify on buying one

jamie said:

I had the same problem when I fitted a 15" Evo ................. howled like a biatch non stop no matter what. A learned friend on here suggested I do a factory reset on machine (Thanks Nenad) and hey presto ran quiet as a mouse no issue ...................... always learning

These new coils NF and coiltek can be a bit noisy if you try to use you previous settings ,I am using a new 4500 with NF 15 ,14X9 and a 12 all evo coils the only change I do is when using the 14x9 is change the audio to boost ,as other have said every one is different in what they class as quiet or noisy back your settings off and bring them up till you are happy with the threshold is stable ,I am using rx and stab at 9 and the deep targets I have dug this week a 10 gram musket ball at 16 inches with the 15 evo happy with the coil disappointed with the result

After every ones opinion. :)
I am 99.9 % convinced to get a 4500.
I don't mind spending my hard earn t on such a detector as I won't get out much to use it but,
When I do I would want one with a bit of power and versatility.
Very close tie with a 2300 but I would like to be able to change coils or stay on top of the
latest coils out.
A 5000 is not an option because I could not just see my self spending that amount.
So, To those who own one, What is your main wish it had.
The last new detector I bought was a GT1600 not counting an Aldi Special.

I bought a 4500 about 6months ago ..and I think it's awesome it's always finding gold ..you won't regret buying it ..before the 4500 I had a garrett atx never found anything with it except trash ..the first day I had my gpx4500 I found gold ...that's just my opinion good luck mate

Hi TJD.
I'm clearly in for the 4500. Mine's one of the older ones, but I still think it's a gun. We're now like old pals - both a little beat-up (some say the newer ones run quieter, but I've no experience). I've been alongside warbling SDCs, and yes they will pull the small stuff - look at Scrounger's finds, but I think that you'll soon get tired of that as you'll find fewer but bigger with the GPX (rewards less often - but bigger - probably depends on how deep you're prepared to dig). IMHO.
Will post my 4500 stats soon now that I've passed 100.

Tath with the buddy up specials available at the moment the 5000 within reach dollar wise? Went thru the same dilema for two weeks myself trying to justify the extra for a 5000 and ended up buying the 4500. Two weeks later what do you know out came the special combo packs :mad:
Wasn't a happy lad ................. but lets say minelab looked after me very well (Thats Minelab Head Office the Dealer didn't want to know about it) and now happy swinging a 5000. Currently in Clermont amongst the dirt dust and gold ;) and super happy with the machine and 15 Nugget finder combo but the blue baby still makes one smile. I'm going to produce shot gun cartridges when I get back :lol:
:)

Hi Tathradj
I too bought a 4500 about 6 months ago. Love it and find gold with it. BigWave also has one and finds far more gold than me. The point to this is that it is not just the machine that determines success. Over and above the machine result is reliant on research, ability to read the country, know where to detect and experience that makes the big difference. Good luck. Cheers Dignit :)

Agree with Bogger, as the %000 is a small step ahead, but in the heavily mineralised ground of most of the GT. the timing settings required of both are pretty equal (i.e.: Fine Gold on the 5000 gets pretty noisy).

HI Doug,

I was talking to Wal about this a few weeks ago, and he strongly supported the 4500 as the best value effective detector, especially with the benefit of some of the newer coils. Apparently the 5000 has a couple of extra timing settings that don't make a great deal of difference in practice.

However, as this is just hearsay evidence, take it as you will!

:)
DrDuck said:
HI Doug,

I was talking to Wal about this a few weeks ago, and he strongly supported the 4500 as the best value effective detector, especially with the benefit of some of the newer coils. Apparently the 5000 has a couple of extra timing settings that don't make a great deal of difference in practice.

However, as this is just hearsay evidence, take it as you will!

I would tend to agree 100 % .............. if I hadn't got the 5000 for what I had already paid for the 4500 I wouldn't have purchased the 5000 :)

Thanks for all your comments people. :) :)
Wal is the person who I asked as well for an opinion and he is right.
As for research and reading the ground, I am already used to that. :) :)
Many a time around Tuena I wished I had a detector. As I have said in another post, If the Parks proposal goes ahead,
There are quite a few area's that I know will produce good gold especially in my area.
And I will need a good detector.

Tathradj you will not be sorry with a 4500,i have had both 5000 and 4500 with the extra bells and whistles on the 5000 there is not that much between the 2 with the 4500 I can use normal audio and it run very smooth with a 5000 most have to run in quiet to get them running smooth .I am using a new 4500 regards john :)

i had spoken to Wal before about this same thing and he said that if he knew then what he did now he would of just stuck with the 4500 and not 'upgraded" to the 5000, i love my 4500, was lucky enough to find a 1.3gm nugget first time out with it

Doug if we can organize it you are more than welcome to have a wave about with my 4500 before spending the money if you like

Gday, going to try and hammer a potential spot systematicly, 1st with a 15 x 12 commander, see if there is anything big and deep, then with the 14 x 9 evo, to pick up the smalls (found a .5 grammer here last week.)
the area id a latarite cap/blow, the only one for a few kms, and is approximatley 100m long, but looks much bigger from google earth.
There is a small creek that parallels its length.
just wanted some tips for the 15 x 12 as it will be the 1st time ive used it, and not sure of the settings,

do these sound about right?
mono
G/B fixed
timing- enhance
Search-general
motion-slow
rx 9
audio-deep
stab-11
signal-19
target vol-8
response-normal

im guessing pretty much, as i won,t be able to play with it untill i get on site, tuesday. hope that these settings might get me some more depth than the 14 x 9, if not, am i better off just sticking with the 14 x 9 evo?

ta, dave.

Dave iv found the Normal Timing smashes Enhance for depth with the 15x12 mono crank up the Rx 12-13 and the bring down the stabilizer till she`s almost sweet Run Hot mate

cheers Dave

Latest posts