Upper King River

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thought i'd post a couple of pics of my son flyfishing the Upper King River around Pineapple Flat to the north of Mt Stirling in VIc high country.
We spent just about all last week 4wdriving and fishing up around that area and i reckon if anybody's looking for a quick trip to do some dry fly fishing before the weather turns totally south they could do a lot worse.
one of the pics is my son hooked up and the other is him fishing a deepish pool that we extracted a big rainbow out of last season.
1460359650_img_4259.jpg
1460359678_img_4389.jpg

Thanks great photos Scrounger. I've got a couple of young fella's getting into fly fishing, usually head into Howqua 4 Mile Hut. Wouldn't mind having a crack at the Upper King, did you land any keepers.
Rob

Didn't fish as much as usual RM, spent more time exploring in the 4wds. The biggest up in the upper reaches around Pineapple Flat and Kings Hut are usually around 350mm, although sometimes you crack a better fish in the small water. Down closer to Lake William Hovell there are some thumpers at times. Biggest i've seen would have gone around 7 pounds and biggest i've caught would be around 4.5-5 pounds.
It's more remote in the King than the Howqua and the fishing is usually a lot better with less crowds.

Latest posts