Poll

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am currently within the Newcastle City/Lake Macquarie Council City limits and "every park" has signs amongst the do not do this and do not do that is the - NO GOLF ICON.

Yes golfing is similar being that it disrupts the grass/dirt but it - IS NOT - fossicking.

So I pose the question for the Poll.

Would you fossicking in a park that clearly shows/states that - No Golf

# YES YOU WOULD - reasons please.

# NO YOU WOULD NOT - reasons please.

I will trying to give a score/percentage after I have enough posts.

Thanks in advance.

CGS :)

P.S. I am sorry if this topic has been addressed before.

I always thought the no golfing in parks was because of the danger of high speed stray balls not because of the damage from a few wonky swings.

If you want to swing your detector around a park don't let a no golf sign stop you.

The Five Man Electrical Band summed it all up with:
And my sign said: "Anybody caught golfin' will be shot on sight."
So, a wanker jumped on my fence and-a yelled at my good self:
"Hey, what gives you the right? To put up a fence to keep me out and allow you detectorists in."
Well if God was here, He'd tell him to his face: "Man, you're some kind of sinner."
At least that's how I remember it. So, it looks like we even have the Almighty on our side :)
With that endorsement, I'd say: go for it!

BigWave said:
The Five Man Electrical Band summed it all up with:
And my sign said: "Anybody caught golfin' will be shot on sight."
So, a self lovin sort of guy jumped on my fence and-a yelled at my good self:
"Hey, what gives you the right? To put up a fence to keep me out and allow you detectorists in."
Well if God was here, He'd tell him to his face: "Man, you're some kind of sinner."
At least that's how I remember it. So, it looks like we even have the Almighty on our side :)
With that endorsement, I'd say: go for it!

With an endorsement like that I will have a poke around somewhere next week.

But tomorrow I am going to investigate a good cutting at a beach nearby hopefully finding some yellow stuff.

Thanks for that :)

Council laws up here all cover off on Disturbing/destroying/damaging soils and grasses. Thus Recovery is technically an illegal activity; regardless of Signage.

Many parks do not have signs stating " No Motorbikes" ( But am sure they are a NO NO every where), ours does have that on one of teh main signs; as too many rich kids with toys pushed the boundaries.

SO: Would you fossicking in a park that clearly shows/states that - No Golf

A: I would be happy to Swing a detector in many places.. But I may not attempt recovery of any items.

B: If it was a Fossicking Park/area out near a township and stated no Golf... I would be happy to pan and scratch around and Detect/recover.

C: Many places/parks in some council areas that have NO Signs but a few have been slapped with fines and others given marching orders

AngerManagement said:
Council laws up here all cover off on Disturbing/destroying/damaging soils and grasses. Thus Recovery is technically an illegal activity; regardless of Signage.

Many parks do not have signs stating " No Motorbikes" ( But am sure they are a NO NO every where), ours does have that on one of teh main signs; as too many rich kids with toys pushed the boundaries.

SO: Would you fossicking in a park that clearly shows/states that - No Golf

A: I would be happy to Swing a detector in many places.. But I may not attempt recovery of any items.

B: If it was a Fossicking Park/area out near a township and stated no Golf... I would be happy to pan and scratch around and Detect/recover.

C: Many places/parks in some council areas that have NO Signs but a few have been slapped with fines and others given marching orders

Thankyou :)

I remember when I was on the Gold Coast (Mermaid Beach) house sitting for 3.5 months (20 months ago) the local parks had no signs or very few that I can remember,anyway no one had looked at them and I cleaned up with my Teknetics Delta 4000 which I had just taken delivery. :p

It was a dream start for me to my new hobby,plus I found a nice 9ct white gold diamond (plastic?) ring weighing 3.6g on the beach in the dry sand.

This is the best and most informative post which I tend to remember from somewhere being - disturbing/destroying soil etc etc.

Anyway,I wonder what would/could be the fine if you received one in Newcastle/Lake Macquarie = $$$

Thanks to all contributors.

Poll Closed