WHITES GMT Goldmaster information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The GMT is better than the GB2 in "slightly" mineralised soils for a few reasons:

1. DD coil
2. SAT control
3. Lower freq - 48 kHz compared to 71
4. Auto Tracking

However, get into a bad hotrock area and they will both do your head in.

The GMT is also easier on the ears.

Well I ran a GMT for a few years and did do very well with it' yep the noises it make's sometimes will blow your head off' the coils false And even tho you can tell the Gold signal amoungst the hot rocks it will become very frustrating at times.

Phase tech' thanks for the little insight between the two as iv always contemplated getting a GB2.

Dollar wise new' I'd get the SPP.

I thought they fixed the coil falsing with the newer dd version. I fixed the coil falsing on my old concentric coil when I had a Goldmsaster V/sat. Made it much easier to ground balance, and generally quieter. I've heard the small elliptical is very good.

The small 4x6 is a good coil but the depth difference wasn't worth it as it took hours to cover a small area and the STD 10" still found the little buggers...
Coils still false due to such high gain levels' which is the only way to get any depth in mineralisation "high gain and SAT"

PhaseTech said:
I thought they fixed the coil falsing with the newer dd version. I fixed the coil falsing on my old concentric coil when I had a Goldmsaster V/sat. Made it much easier to ground balance, and generally quieter. I've heard the small elliptical is very good.

I just ordered my 2nd GMT, The first one NEVER had a falsing Problem although like all Higher frequency machines they don't like being run at Max Gain out in the Suburbs,
I was surprized to see that they pick up the Salt/Minerals in your hands. On bigger Nuggets the MXT is Deeper,

It's Very surprizing what Machines like the Eureka Gold and the GMT Goldmaster and the Gold Bug will pick up, A few years back there was a machine that Ran At 300mhz but I think that is a little over the Top.

John

Good info here

thanks for starting this topic Roscoe, Zuke some good pointers.

I prefer to use headphones with mine, figure it helps me concentrate more and block out background noise, I never find them too hot or uncomfortable, they're a pair of Sunrays.

I normally use Vsat up high and gain around 4, just seems right to me for some reason, though I'm open to suggestions.

Last few times out I've been running in fixed, using the small 6x4, which I'm slightly disappointed with, thinking next time out ill change to the supplied coil and go back to tracking.

I like the iron ID function, but notice the areas I detect around Dunolly (my fav haunt) seem to be low iron, I have to use this handy feature to find higher iron/ mineralised areas, which should help my chances.

I hope to be able to buy a ML 4000-4500 later in the year, I reckon the 2 would be a good combo. Like most things it all boils down to the mighty $.

I haven't found any gold yet, but it's hard to beat being in Gods great country, exploring and exercising in the fresh air. Not all rewards are monetary. My day will come, cover your ears when that happens!

D

Hi. All. Anyone found any big ones with the GMT??? Have always been interested but never managed to get one. I'm using a new T2 SE at the moment. Ronnie :)

Zuke_Lynzy said:
The small 4x6 is a good coil but the depth difference wasn't worth it as it took hours to cover a small area and the STD 10" still found the little buggers...
Coils still false due to such high gain levels' which is the only way to get any depth in mineralisation "high gain and SAT"

Hello Mate, My Last GMT didn't False and neither does my new one, But I have heard a couple of people had this issue, I wonder if there was a batch of dodgy coils??

John

NUMBER 5, AUDIO BOOST:- The best time to use this function is when you have a Target where the threshold rises and there is No zip zip Sound flick this Switch to Boost to Identify that you have a Good Target and Switch it Back to Normal ASAP, Because this Switch Boosts the Signal X4 and If you leave it running in Boost it will Chatter Like Crazy

John

I think you will find in hot soil running SAT high to cope and Gain as high as possible to try and get some depth you will notice short falsing signals caused by bumps of the coil' mainly sweeping low and snagging on rocks, we'll all the GMT's iv used did and this was only in recent years.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
I think you will find in hot soil running SAT high to cope and Gain as high as possible to try and get some depth you will notice short falsing signals caused by bumps of the coil' mainly sweeping low and snagging on rocks, we'll all the GMT's iv used did and this was only in recent years.

Wow, must be the ground aye, Like many have said vlfs do suffer in OZ

I have A Question for any of you GMT User's because I have been doing some testing, What I would Like to Know is what Ground Balance readings you have had and what mineral readings you have had also,

Any Input you have would be most welcome,

Thanks,,, John

I've had ground balance or 58 to 74 and from memory around 27 - 50 in mineral, and this was last Thursday and my settings were gain 7 and sat was 9 1/2 and on manual tune

this was in a small creek bed and on hill just next to hill side

I find the higher the sat speed the higher the
Readings

Bonacini said:
I've had ground balance or 58 to 74 and from memory around 27 - 50 in mineral, and this was last Thursday and my settings were gain 7 and sat was 9 1/2 and on manual tune

this was in a small creek bed and on hill just next to hill side

I find the higher the sat speed the higher the
Readings

Thanks for your Reply, I have noticed that the Higher you set your gain that you seem to get a Lower GB Reading,

I had Simulate High Magnetic Ground and I manage to pick up A 0.17 gm test piece at about 5 to 6 inches and a 0.02 Test piece at about 2, With the Gain at about 7.8 and the Sat at about 8.1

My GB readings were between 79 to 84 and my Mineral Readings were between 48 to 55.

So would you class YOUR Readings as Hot Ground or not,

Thanks Again Mate, john

Oh that's a good test on small pieces of gold, were the signals clear enough that you would definitely dig it? Yeah I class the readings I had as high, I also run the threshold almost quiet but have an amplifier with headphones cranked right up, just to deal with the hot ground lol dunno if this is right or not

Bonacini said:
Oh that's a good test on small pieces of gold, were the signals clear enough that you would definitely dig it? Yeah I class the readings I had as high, I also run the threshold almost quiet but have an amplifier with headphones cranked right up, just to deal with the hot ground lol dunno if this is right or not

Yeah they were the type of sound that would pull you up and then do A Quick scrape and see if it got Better, So I don't think with those settings I would miss much, 0.06 were a good 4 inches.

I would not use an Amp but that is A good Idea so I might give it a Try, Thanks For That, One thing I did notice was when I hit the Audio Boost Switch it just about Doubles the Distance on those Targets although it sounds like A Hornet on Crack because it multiplies the signal 4 Times, Using the Amp set up would be a smoother way of boosting the signal instead of using the Audio Boost,

So I guess my Test set up would be bordering on extreme Then??, Running the Sat @ 8.1 is not quite as smooth with the gain up around 8-ish but it worked ok.

I you are happy running the Amp Then I would keep going with it, Because it has to help, Many here swear by them so it has to be A Good thing,

Thanks again,,, John

4-VSAT setting

Just sitting here thinking about detecting with the GMT' (don't ask me why) Remembering a trip out to Tibooburra where both the wife and I detected 20 or so little nuggets (0.02-0.04g) within a few hours' now even tho a fast SAT speed will allow a higher gain and the unit will seem to run smoother' it will change the way target signals are heard, when you get a very small target or a deeper one' because the SAT speed is set so high it quickly settles the threshold meaning if you swing fast or are not concerntrating you will miss these tiny targets' actually all of them.

But' if you are sweeping smooth and steady what you actually get will be a quiet repeatable murmur but sometimes you will get an actual slight drop or blank in the threshold this is what many tiny nuggets recovered have been' these responses in the threshold must be short and repeatable from all angles.

Somewhere in the lower end of the SAT speeds things will start to change in relation to target response but' there's not many places in Australia other than tibooburra that will allow below x5 at full gain.

You will Only get a Zip Zip on closer targets or larger being 0.1gram within a 1" or so.

Just a thought that was worth posting to listen out for as I feel a lot of my luck with the GMT was because I dug up these strange responses that turned out to be deeper match head size bits.

Hi all ,Just a quick question. I will be receiving my new gmt in a few days and am wondering if i can use a bz booster as a volume control on the machine.
I have various sets of headphones which i use on my 5000 with the bz booster. All information appreciated. cheers ron..

Latest posts