Fossicking Permit NSW??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WickedWaz said:
Got my permit yesterday, easy as. Thanks to this thread and of course Dubbo Forestry. :D

I took a screen shot of my permit , then shrank it down to the size of a business card including only the important details like my name , permit number , start / finish dates , region , class etc etc and laminated it so it fits easily in my wallet.

stuffed if i want to carry around an A4 size bit of paper and not likely to leave it at home this way.

( or scan a copy and keep it on your phone ) :D

I was out prospecting last month when an old bloke ask if I had a miners right?
I took one look at him, then continued to test pan. He told me that the Ranger comes down here.
I said to him there is only two people in the entire state of Victoria that have the authority to ask me for my miners right. You and the Ranger aren't in that small group.
I pulled back the tarp on my trailer to show him I'm not new to prospecting!
His eyes lit up and he cracked a smile. He said " I guess that you would have a miners right then.
We became good friends and shared many a campfire story over the next few nights.
Yes he was trying to put the wind up me.
The old fella's aren't that scary.
Just have your right close by.
By the way Old Mate was the first person to ask me for my miners right in 15 yrs
Cheers Ryan

PaulFritz said:
I have read the links provided and still a little confused.
Does anyone know if you need a permit to prospect in Victoria, or does the miners right cover this for state forests/creeks?

Your miners right covers you for state forests, crks etc in Vic.

DD

Received my Forestry Permit today.
Many thanks to the Lady's at Forestry Corp. Dubbo, and to all on here for ALL the information supplied.
And "HeadsUp" going to copy what you have done to, great idea.

Many thanks
Gary :cool:

Gary,
Did you get a permit for the whole state? 2 weeks ago I tried the Wauchope and Dubbo offices and could only get a permit for a single zone!!
Regards

Richard

Rastys 1964 said:
Gary,
Did you get a permit for the whole state? 2 weeks ago I tried the Wauchope and Dubbo offices and could only get a permit for a single zone!!
Regards

Richard
Hi Richard,
Yes permit is ALL FORESTS IN NSW
Contact this lady she was very helpful.

Tereene Hill
Senior Business Support Officer | Western Region
Forestry Corporation of NSW | ABN 43 141 857 613
T: 02 6841 4211 | F: 02 6884 4771
Cnr Monash & Chelmsford Streets | Dubbo NSW 2830
PO Box 865 | Dubbo NSW 2830

The Lady that normally do's the permits is on leave but I am sure Tereene will help you. :)

Thanks guys for all the helpful info. I'll be arranging my NSW Forestry Permit later today :lol:

in Queensland a fossicking permit costs $43 a year (single)..family permits are available at extra cost and covers whole of state but....state forests and national parks are a no go..GPA's general permission areas around Clermont are covered but..you need fossickers kit (maps and a sticker for your vehicle ) for $80 odd a year..no camping allowed on gpa's ..of course private land is accessable if you can get permission from landholders ..

I've applied for my NSW permit today. Completed the paperwork, scanned it, called Tereene and I received my permit emailed to me within 1 hour. Fantastic service. Thanks for the info which enabled me to do this.

just noticed on the North Queensland Miners Den site under Articles/Fossiking permits that a permit is not required to look for coins/relics as they are not minerals..

Don't know how you would go there especially if its a forest that is known for gold?
I think you would still need State Forests permission to use a metal detector & dig etc. & $22/year isn't much to pay for the privilege/cover your ass anyway. Less than 43c/week.

Here is part of a handy list of info here put together by Nugget: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=319
Australian Metal Detecting Guidelines

1. Do not detect on private property "unless" you have prior permission from the land owner.
2. National Parks are completely off limits. Fines apply and they can be quite heavy. (My Edit: this isn't just to fossicking it is metal detecting in general)
3. Most State Forests require a permit to fossick / detect, they can also be covered under a state specific permit such as VIC Miners Right.
4. Heritage listed properties and buildings can be protected under a number of different Heritage Acts, relics should not be disturbed or removed from these sites unless you are authorised to do so.

I was wondering what the rules and regulations say about fossicking in State Conservation Areas? I have the permit for NSW State Forests but not sure if that encompasses conservation areas too?

Fossicking is not permitted in the following areas in State forests:
flora or timber reserves;
areas zoned Forest Management Zone 1; and
any areas held under lease under the Crown Lands (Continued Tenures) Act, without the
consent of the landholder.

shivan said:
Fossicking is not permitted in the following areas in State forests:
flora or timber reserves;
areas zoned Forest Management Zone 1; and
any areas held under lease under the Crown Lands (Continued Tenures) Act, without the
consent of the landholder.

Thanks for this information Shivan. Do you know by any chance off the top of your head whether any of these exclusions relate to any of the Crookwell reserves between Tuena and Crookwell?? Or am I permitted to enter these reserves to sluice and detect.

HeadsUp said:
WickedWaz said:
Got my permit yesterday, easy as. Thanks to this thread and of course Dubbo Forestry. :D

I took a screen shot of my permit , then shrank it down to the size of a business card including only the important details like my name , permit number , start / finish dates , region , class etc etc and laminated it so it fits easily in my wallet.

stuffed if i want to carry around an A4 size bit of paper and not likely to leave it at home this way.

( or scan a copy and keep it on your phone ) :D
not a bad idea, I put my permit number into the phone book on my phone, that way should it be required I can always give them a permit number

Just remember guys, a landholder verbally agreeing to you accessing his land IS NOT accepted by authorities, PLEASE remember to have WRITTEN PERMISSION!

That's a great step forward for the department, finally coming into line with all the other Govt Depts. Good to hear :D

Latest posts