Yackandandah Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi can anyone tell me if there is any yellow still in Yackandandah creek Victoria? Is it fine or more coarse?
Any suggested area to highbank around Yackandandah Victoria?
Is it a good area for detecting nuggets?
Any help is gratefully appreciated as me and the missus are headed to beechworth soon and want a different area then Reedy creek.

Hmmmm,
The Yack creek above the Junction where you're allowed to prospect has sod all in it. It was heavily sluiced to bedrock, and before hydraulic sluicing is was regarded as uneconomic. No nuggets at all, although specimens have been found. All the gold was flake alluvial and flour like Reedy Creek. At the Junction there's a nice camping spot and you can prospect the Nine Mile Creek up to the Yack town water supply take off from there. Above that ant it's a no go. There are also lots of gullies and surfacings off the creeks that might be worth a look but don't mess around with the ground sluices - they're Heritage listed. There's also an area on Twist Creek, Yackandandah, open to prospecting.

HTH,
Parko

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone would have some info on the pride and stringer reef and kiln near yackandandah? Any info would be helpful, I've been to the rechabite, Kerry eagle, wallaby, homeward bound and a few others but I can't seem to find info on the pride and stringer :mad:

Yeah mate i did Google it, but it's saying its in pines, and from what I've heard it's not, I have a rough idea where the reef is! I'm just interested to see if anyone else has some info to help me out :)

It shouldn't be far off from the location, but I know some of them are incorrect. Getting onto the old maps will guide you. Have you checked the library's in the local history sections

Nah I haven't, we have a roof tops map and it shows a mine in the area, so I guess we will start there, I'm also intrested in finding the kiln, from what I've read it's in the pines down the hill

Massive gold workings occurred throughout this plantation area in the 19th Century. Workings occurred throughout Europa Gully, Nine Mile Creek, Back Creek (including headwaters), Clear Creek and Yackandandah Creek (almost to its headwaters). Plantations were initially established to 'settle' the gold mine tailings. It is highly likely that plantation logging could seriously 'stir up' these sediments leading to further water pollution. Reefs within the plantation included: Tin Tub, Albion, Bangle, Topaz, Stringer, Pride, Caledonia and l'Anson."Pines in the Stanley area were originally planted on degraded mining land by Forests Commission employees and sustenance workers - Sustenance camps near Stanley were established by unemployed men from Melbourne during the Depression in the 1930's. The plantations were worked by Italian interns during WW2 and following the war, by immigrants who came to Australia through nationalisation programs during the 1950's and 1960's."

AtomRat said:
Massive gold workings occurred throughout this plantation area in the 19th Century. Workings occurred throughout Europa Gully, Nine Mile Creek, Back Creek (including headwaters), Clear Creek and Yackandandah Creek (almost to its headwaters). Plantations were initially established to 'settle' the gold mine tailings. It is highly likely that plantation logging could seriously 'stir up' these sediments leading to further water pollution. Reefs within the plantation included: Tin Tub, Albion, Bangle, Topaz, Stringer, Pride, Caledonia and l'Anson."Pines in the Stanley area were originally planted on degraded mining land by Forests Commission employees and sustenance workers - Sustenance camps near Stanley were established by unemployed men from Melbourne during the Depression in the 1930's. The plantations were worked by Italian interns during WW2 and following the war, by immigrants who came to Australia through nationalisation programs during the 1950's and 1960's."
Nice write up AR. You could get a job writing up tourism or forestry blogs ;) :D

Hi guys heading off to beechworth stanley and yack for the weekend . And it will be great ?
Just wondering if anyone can share any info on what type of shafts i may be entering . I have all the gear and experience but only starting the prospecting/ mining side of it..
Also is it true that my victorian prospecting license covers 5 acres of claim rights

Also i find it weird that it will cost me roughly $10,000 to make a civil mining claim in victoria to have the legal right to minerals in that bit of earth for 10 acres
But i have paid $34 for 10 year victorian prospecting license to get the right to claim 5 acres . That means me and my wife can claim the same amount of land for $60 that a individual would cost $10,000 . ...
Why would anyone bother too make a claim ... jist make sure you pay $30 for a prospecting license
???????????????????

Chloe0305 said:
Hi guys heading off to beechworth stanley and yack for the weekend . And it will be great ?
Just wondering if anyone can share any info on what type of shafts i may be entering . I have all the gear and experience but only starting the prospecting/ mining side of it..

I suggest you dont prospect in historic mine shafts. For several reasons.

Also is it true that my victorian prospecting license covers 5 acres of claim rights

Nope. The Recreational Prospecting and Fossicking License only allows you the right to recreational prospecting and fossicking (and obliges you to fill/repair on the day you dig). You need a full Prospecting License to claim up to 5 hectares.

I've got some info (mine plans),but I don't really want to post it.

You don't want to go there unless you have permission.

It's also very dangerous like TheMed said.

Latest posts