starting up /remining a old mine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the stawell mine is still operating underground and unfortunately i am one of the residents against the proposed open cut. i a, 50m from the blast zone in a residential house that i own. i am also 100m from the main shopping precinct so the stawell situation is a tricky one. The gold is still down deep but the price of extraction makes the stuff under the residents more financially viable. :mad:

Average Joe said:
the stawell mine is still operating underground and unfortunately i am one of the residents against the proposed open cut. i a, 50m from the blast zone in a residential house that i own. i am also 100m from the main shopping precinct so the stawell situation is a tricky one. The gold is still down deep but the price of extraction makes the stuff under the residents more financially viable. :mad:

I didn't know they reopened. Last time I was there it was just about to go into CoM. I did a few contracts there when they were doing the drilling for the proposed new site, I don't blame you or anyone else for objecting to it blasting so close would shake your house to bits in weeks.

They've wound down there operation a lot, most of the contractors have moved north. They're blasting 150m from the surface at the moment directly under my house. If your ever in stawell again Wintersnake you can drop round to my place for a coffee at 5:30 and experience the blasts which are apparently "within limits" haha ;)

Average Joe said:
They've wound down there operation a lot, most of the contractors have moved north. They're blasting 150m from the surface at the moment directly under my house. If your ever in stawell again Wintersnake you can drop round to my place for a coffee at 5:30 and experience the blasts which are apparently "within limits" haha ;)

Heh heh, don't know what your complaining about you would have one of those throw you out of bed alarm clocks when the morning blast was set :D

Happy to call in one day haven't been out that way for a while now. Been spending my time dodging goats and roos out around cobar.

The new tenement system has made it considerably easier for small scale miners to register a claim and get stuck in. The Prospecting Claim in particular.
I am in the process of lodging two such applications at the moment. Both to rework historical mines. Yes there is still paperwork etc. but it can be done.
20 years ago there were a dozen small scale underground mines operating in my area. I worked in a few of them and knew most of the claimholders.
The reason they closed was not the government, rather the result of poor research into the grades of ore left in the mine.
The Mines Dept. in whatever guise they were back then had no choice but to tighten the laws of small claims.
Many many cases of people registering claims, paying small bonds, then going broke, leaving the department to foot the bill for rehabilitation. In particular the doze and detect claims in the Golden Triangle. These were a nightmare for the department.
In addition I know of a couple of serious exploration initiatives in the North East of Victoria as well. One company has a very good prospect which they will mine in the future, and another has re-opened the Morning Star gold mine at Woods Point.
Another reason for the lack of mining in Victoria is that most mining companies are looking at 1000 tonnes a day through a production plant. In Victoria I doubt there are many gold deposits that would be able to sustain this on even a short term basis.
Victoria is the domain of Small Scale Narrow Vein Mining where it is feasible to extract say 10 tonnes of ore a day. The big open pits they mine in W.A. simply are not economic for mining companies here.
I am trying to start a revival of small scale narrow vein mining here in the North East. There is gold still in the reefs underground. The difficulty is that the knowledge to mine them has been lost.
We have moved through a generation of detector operators which has been fantastic but in the process the link to real mining on a small scale is gone.
The danger once again is that people with little or no knowledge will register claims and then run out of money. How much would you need to start an underground show, even on the smallest scale?. I would say 50k. And you need to be prepared to lose it if it goes pear shaped.
Just my thoughts.

The doze and detect men of years gone by had no intention of rehabilitation.
More often than not the cost of rehabilitation far exceeded the penalty for not complying [ if they were prosecuted at all]
So they ran the gauntlet.

You are right Redfin re doze and detect. Bonds were as low as 2k and rarely more than 5k, so most took their chances and then left. Some would say it was worth losing 2k, others found little and went broke. The Mines Dept. then had to pay for the rehab. And as is common knowledge, you don't get much done for 2k.
I know of one claim near Tarnagulla, that was on private land, on a very rich lead, that yielded less than 2 ounces of gold. And the landowner got half. In this case at least, the land was rehabilitated by the claim holder. But it shows the hit and miss nature of doze and detect, that caught many out.

PaulFritz said:
Any updates on where you guys are at?

its left alone at the moment abandoned we don't have the finances to start it going the cost of timber to prop things up the cost of rock drills venation jack hammers reo props lights genie dust problem crushing costs carting etc. etc. etan

Hunting the yellow said:
PaulFritz said:
Any updates on where you guys are at?

its left alone at the moment abounded we don't have the finances to start it going the cost of timber to prop things up the cost of rock drills venation jack hammers reo props lights genie dust problem crushing costs carting etc. etc. etc.
Plus explosives, Friday night beers, pole dancers, :| :lol:

Hey been reading your good news,could use a dust extractor fan above ground on a genny with cheap plastic ducting going down to the work area,should help keep gases down as well

Hunting the yellow said:
silver said:
Lookin like a big job, and that's just so far.
Run the detector over what you've removed so far too,... just incase. ;)

done that already know whats inside ps silver I emailed you b cos your message inbox on here was full
Cant access that,
.. will have to free up pm space so you can try again. :D
Good to go now HTY. :D

Latest posts