How to spot a fake Minelab GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
correct as i said above "Serial number and ask for original purchasers name. Minelab will ask the same."

been through this before several times, Soulfly3 bought the detector yesterday anyway :)

Hi,

I'm planing to buy a GP 3500 on the weekend. Do counterfeit 3500's exist?

The owner seems to be a honest retiree but they also purchased the unit second hand about 5 years back.

She has a very small test piece of gold, does this help?

Cheers,
Timmy :D

None that I've heard of. They really started in full swing in the GPX series but it still pays to be careful. With the GP I'd reckon stolen ones or machines with a fault are your biggest risks.
Testing it on small test piece would be ok but if you can, getting someone that knows the model to check it out properly would be even better.

GaryO said:
Yep its Fake. Even says it is made in China.
Should be withdrawn from Ebay as its a 100% counterfeit item.

This added today :eek:

On 02-Aug-15 at 08:33:38 AEST, seller added the following information:

This is a copy from china lab has found gold I had 8 months found 8 nuggets

His discription about says it all ...
Made by China lab ..

METAL DETECTOR GPX5000 made by china lab

I HAVE USED THIS HADE IT FOR 8 MONTHS AND FOUND GOLD IN ADELAIDE HILLS SO FAR 8 SMALL NUGGETS I WAS VERY SUPRISED THE I FOUND THEM

THIS GPX5000 WAS MADE IN CHINA IT DOES FIND GOLD GOOD PRICE FOR WHAT I PAID AND FOUND GOLD with it

IT HAS A MONO LOOP WITH BATTERY AND CAR CHARGER

On 02-Aug-15 at 08:33:38 AEST, seller added the following information:
This is a copy from china lab has found gold I had 8 months found 8 nuggets

Invaluable information, Really eye opening stuff. Just about to close a deal on a 5000 and did all the checks and has come up legit. Thanks for a great topic.

Latest posts