What are the essentials when just starting out?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
I have just joined the local gem club. What are the essential bits and pieces you would recommend buying first. Have started my first cab.
Cheers Sheryl.

1456570171_img_20160227_211809.jpg

It depends on what you are interested in making Sheryl :)

Starting off with some cabbing is a great way to understand how diamond and other grits work, polishing etc. Some people don't move off it and find themselves happy enough to sit at a chair cabbing. The more you get into, the more costs will be involved, so getting used to what tools and machines at the gem club first will help you decide what you feel like trying to buy first for home.

Are you digging for gems as well? You will need the general gear such as pan, sieve, shovel etc for starters in that. I ask this as the first thing you need are rocks to cut and polish which you may be able to buy through the club or find your own out on the field to cut or cab, practice etc unless the club even may provide some freebies too

Most gem work can lead towards silversmithing and jewellery etc.. it really depends which direction you choose through the journey :)

Latest posts