DIY Crevice Sucker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope that you folk have familiarised yourself with the rules associated with dredging. Note sure whether is applies to hand dredging or even sniffer/snuffer bottles (I doubt it), but forewarned is forearmed.

I know a couple of you old timers are well aware of these discussions, but newbies may not be.

See topic - https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=73356#p73356

Rob

Yeah Pablo have got the go ahead from our Mines dept here in QLD, I can use a hand pump, so long as it's just operated by hand, all good. Best to call it a crevice sucker not a, "Hand Dredge'. The word 'Dredge'l is Taboo all over Australia.

Cheers

cecc said:
Yeah Pablo have got the go ahead from our Mines dept here in QLD, I can use a hand pump, so long as it's just operated by hand, all good. Best to call it a crevice sucker not a, "Hand Dredge'. The word 'Dredge'l is Taboo all over Australia.

Cheers

That is great news. I must admit that my Qld outings have been in FNQ, where water was extremely scarce, so have stuck to using a detector.

Rob

Ok here are some pics of my new crevice sucker, but I really designed it for gravel in the creek, later on can adapt the end for crevices, no probs.

UaS45A0.jpg

MofeFAB.jpg

ZSwxfIb.jpg

MGmrAyJ.jpg

Yeah understand Rob, whole different ball game aye, in the dry area's .

Hope you like my pics, as I said this was designed for the creek, in gravel patches, still have to put a bolt about an inch up from bottom piece to stop big rocks jamming it, here in QLD we have to be innovative due to our restrictions.

Oh Yobs, my Idea was also, when we get tired of shoveling, we can just sucker the gravel and put straight into the Banjo or Rocker, would love to do some gravel for ya mate into that Rocker.

Looks good Cecc...might need a handle on the lenght to turn it up so the gravel wont run back out when you lift it.
Im over due for a dig...been busy with the kids and catching up with chores around the house....
Spot x 2 will be a go next time you are up.
Moving is exhausting work mate hope you get done and dusted soon.

Yeah mate thinking about a handle, I have been practicing turning it quickly as I lift it, so material doesn't fall out. Yeah know what u mean, life get's busy aye?

Yeah spot x 2 will be good. Yeah mate getting quite tired now, but will soon be over.Thanks Yobs.

Syndyne said:
We are under the same rules and regulations here in N.S.W. That's why this type of hand pump works so effectively :)

Here's a basic layout of my new design. Just need to attach the main PVC section to a sturdy backpack. It can also be left on the ground in an upright position (to let gravity do the work). Our previous design was all used on the ground with the pump attached to a small separate stand. The pump itself is a Jabsco Manual Bilge Pump and they run around $130-ish. I'm still debating on whether or not to add a small base to the pump to kneel or stand on. Still some kinks to work out with this new design. Note: Just added the 30cm steel ruler for scale.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/378/1365566185_pump.jpg

Here's a before (left) and after (right) of a bedrock area done with our original first type of ground-based setup. One thing to note is that we reduced the 25mm suction hose at the tip to prevent blockages by using a small nozzle cut down to 12mm. You can go as small as needed to get into the cracks.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/378/1365566864_before_and_after.jpg

Cheers,
Shauno.

Just looking at the photo's and thought you could probibly put a hose on the pump outlet and recycle/wash the area where you are working. I am probibly to late with the idea but thought i'd mention it anyhow. Ken.

Latest posts