Spring Dolly-Pot

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roscoe

Ross
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a spring dolly in action or has seen some old pictures of one? From reading it sounds like a good device for one man operation. Maybe with modern materials i may be able to make it better?

I have a few stones to crush and wont something faster than a hand dolly, but keeping away from motorized equipment. :)

Hey roscoe, A spring dolly was a simply a largish pot with the dolly (stamp) attached to an overhanging branch or springy sapling so that the effort of lifting the dolly on the up stroke was aided by the spring in the sapling or branch. Not really a mobile proposition.

I was just wondering Jethro if instead of using a sapling we could replace with a coil spring or car spring? I was thinking more on the line of a hand operated battery. :)

Probably be hard to get the six to eight inches of lift required with a car spring , also steel spring would be too rigid and soak up to much energy on the downstroke.
There is a link somewhere on the forum to a hand operated jawcrusher on Utube Made in the USA The clip is a bit long winded but it will give you the idea.

Doesn't have to be mobile, i will crush rocks at my home. The problem i have is most of the stone varies in size and i would like something that is less fussy with the size of stone it can handle with out it costing to much. I can gather the stone at home and crush it in my own time, so just a long as it does the job it doesn't have to be that efficient. :)

I suggest you look up leaf spring drop hammers for some ideas. Especially the ones which use a car tyre.

I was searching my books at home but I guess I was thinking this
1456009098_dolly_mill.jpeg

Great stuff there Atomrat thanks for that video, that home made stamp is a beauty. I am sure that design could be converted to a rock crusher. :)

G'day Atom rat & Roscoe, I once made a ally can crusher out of a push bike frame, Turned upside down pedal one side, heavy weight the other side inside about a 4" pipe as a guide connected to crank via suitable length of flat bar. You get the idea.

Happy building & Sluicing,

jethro said:
Hey roscoe, A spring dolly was a simply a largish pot with the dolly (stamp) attached to an overhanging branch or springy sapling so that the effort of lifting the dolly on the up stroke was aided by the spring in the sapling or branch. Not really a mobile proposition.

Like a heavy duty willoughby? A longer arm might even make the crushing on the down stroke easier.

Bought some 150mm 6" pipe x 300 long, got an old truck rear axle, just fits inside, will have to square up and smooth the face. Will weld some 6mm plate on the bottom, leaves about 4mm clearance on sides. axle is about 600mm long , got heaps of weight, may be to much. Thinking of setting it up with a electric motor and a cam set up like the old stamps, big S shape. Have the to separate, clamp together so can be used by hand too.
Cheers LL