Our access is being denied to Mt Crawford declared Fossicking Area..SA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok here is a course of action to persue ..what if it was a danger to have these roads closed off in the case of a fire ..if these are public roads ? They are named roads..on a map..isn't it a public danger to have them locked..

I don't know ,a lot of them are named roads,whether they are public or not will have to investigate..can be public roads going through private property even..I think if it is marked on a map as a road and it's being locked ,blocking someone's exit in a fire .should be addressed ..They can unlock them every day, nothing them..

I asked.. .do people have to climb the gates / fences to gain entry? ... No. there are access points where you can walk in, even ride a house or mountain bike.....So really we are being discriminated against...houses/horses and mountain bikes are modes of transport, just the same as our car..we are locked out and they are not..we are the one paying the fee ..free for them......................................................Yesterday 04:37 pm
Baldy, I've been down to Mt Crawford during the week and there are gates locked so that Forestry can work in an area. I don't have any hassles with that. Hell, I wouldn't want to come across a 22wheeler carrying logs when they are working. Havent been there on weekends for a while but on most weekends, I understand the mountain bikers use the trails to ride their bikes - hardly a lock out!
When I have been there I have always been able to get in, maybe not to where I'd like to have got, but been able to get in none-the-less. As far as the $5 goes, I gather its so forestry can know who's using the place in case of fires etc.....Forestry are not working in those areas they are locked all the time..22 wheelers they should post signs logging trucks using this road..common practice elsewhere ..mountain bikers use the trails (hardly a lock out) no not for them..(forestry wanting to know who,s using the place in case of a fire)..what a bout horse people ...bike people ..Discrimination ..

Spoke to one of the guys at Mt Crawford this morning,he was very helpful..I think after speaking to him the problem is the ability to lock up at 4 pm and go home..They feel they to keep the idiots out after hrs..but said we weren't the idiots..other people..They don't want to chase us to make sure we're out..anyway 4 pm lock out so Bs anyway..So it's really about going home time..

Baldy ... I cant say that I disagree with you in that they have made it harder for less abled people, more so the elderly in that the gate closures are having them walk a greater distance to fossicking spots.
Years back I recall when anyone could drive through the area and see trailer loads of dumped rubbish, now it is closed. I think we all know that anytime a change occurs it is generally the resolve of a discussion by the those that had to deal with a problem, In our case the Woods and Forestry's Dept, very likely one or more of the decision makers would have suggested .. "lets close it to public and we will never have a problem" .. luckily it is still open to the public but with restrictions, which appear to be aimed at what they considered was causing their problem, vehicles entering and unloading rubbish or dumping and setting fire to stolen cars in a commercially grown pine forests.

I think we are also lucky that we are not yet going down the path of change as seen in Vic .. www.change.org/p/victorian-enviroment-minister-lisa-neville-victorian-premier-daniel-andrews-say-no-to-the-proposed-great-forest-national-park?recruiter=106073105&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-reason_msg.

In the event you want to challenge their gate ruling be tactful and avoid stepping on toes because we are now in a time of budget cuts and each government department is looking for income, I would rather have a walk than face a sign that reads ... KEEP OUT or TRESSPASSES WILL BE PROSECUTED <<< these signs raise revenue and cost less to enforce than does a $5 day access fee per person and the monitoring of those people.

Peter.

Thank you for your time, I would like to discuss with you the possibility of unlocking the gates blocking vehicle access to the roads within the Designated fossicking area of Mt Crawford..Many people that I have spoked with have expressed the same concern .Hoping this letter can start some conversation on this matter..Yours sincerely ..copy of email sent to forestry..

Hi Graham

The gates surrounding the Fossicking area are closed for a reason as you will find most SA forest areas are gated shut, fenced or have barriers. The forests of the Mount Lofty ranges are primarily sustainable commercial forests and offer some additional value for recreation. Vehicle entry to these areas, are by law of the Forestry Act 2013, restricted to authorised operational personnel, contractors and event organisers (on application) who may require authorised vehicle access.

As with most forest areas, the fossicking area has in the past been highly impacted by unauthorised vehicle entry before having gates and barriers installed in about 2010. Although there is still some impact by those few who make it difficult for responsible forest users, the damage and associated impacts have reduce to some degree by regulating access.

In the past few years ForestrySA has trailed the use of a combination lock installed into the chain at one of the access gates into this area specifically for fossickers. Over this trial period the combo lock was incorrectly used, not locked into the chain correctly, abused damaged at the expense of replacing it frequently. The combination number was also starting to fall into the wrong hands by word of mouth and therefore defeating its purpose for being there in the first place. It was subsequently removed as it was becoming difficult and costly to administer.

So, the answer to your request is: I cannot in the near future see the regulations for vehicular access to be relaxed. Fossickers, as required by other recreational forest users, need to park vehicles as close as possible to the forest area they wish to enter and access by foot from that point.

Regards

Bruno Turrini
MT CRAWFORD RANGER
FORESTRYSA
Phone: (08) 8521 1701
Fax: (08) 8521 1799
Mobile: 0408 824 281
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.forestrysa.com.au

Good that they got back to you...

Bad that there will be no access, time to find a new spot?

A few bad eggs will spoil it for everyone... :(

Thank you for your reply, after reading the forestry act 2013, I cannot see any thing giving the authority to chain off roads in the fossicking area in daylight hours. If it is written there would you be able to quote the passage.Thank you...copy of email sent in reply...

Go easy fellas. They may only want half an excuse to keep us out altogether. And given its really the only half reasonable place to go in SA that's not private property, we best be thankful for what we have. It aint perfect, but it is what it is. And the only alternative is to get in the car and drive to the Golden Triangle or the "wild west".

Daz, we are very lucky in South Australia,and were not a convict state, and we are able to stand up for our rights..and they will not be able to do anything , they do not have the legislation to do..I believe they have acted in their own interests and are not looking after Fossickers..Lets see if they have the legislation to back it up..which one is you in the photo..

Not right but I think they've got it covered in the Act & Regulations?
SA Forestry Act 1950
21Regulations
The Governor may make such regulations as are contemplated by, or necessary or expedient for the purposes of, this Act. Without limiting the generality of subsection (1), the regulations may (a) provide for the control, management and protection of forest reserves and all other property belonging to, or under the control or management of, the Corporation; (b) prohibit or regulate access to, use of or conduct on land belonging to, or under the control or management of, the Corporation;

SA Forestry Regulations 2013
Part 2Entrance to reserves or parts of reserves
6Prohibition of entrance by notice
A person must not, without lawful authority, enter or remain in a forest reserve or part of a forest reserve contrary to the terms of notices erected with the approval of the Corporation at the entrances to that reserve or that part of the reserve. Maximum penalty: $750. Expiation fee: $105.

24Compliance with notices and signs
A person must not, without lawful authority, contravene or fail to comply with a direction by the Corporation regulating or prohibiting (a) the driving or parking of a vehicle in a forest reserve or part of a forest reserve;

Are there any signs up?

Don't know why they can't use permit system out of the regulations though? Maybe issue keys & permit with drivers license & a key bond/deposit of $50 or something.
26Display of certain permits in vehicles
(1) If a permit authorises the driver or passengers of a motor vehicle (other than a motor bike) (a) to enter or remain in a forest reserve; or
(b) to drive the vehicle in a forest reserve; or
(c) to camp overnight in a forest reserve,
a person to whom the permit applies must, when acting pursuant to the permit in a forest reserve, ensure that the permit is displayed in the vehicle in accordance with this regulation while the vehicle is in the reserve. Maximum penalty: $750. Expiation fee: $105.

Hi Mbasko, surley any notices to stop access would have to be in relation to safety ..ie working in the area or any unsafe situations..and that all....and there are no signs..you can drive through the non native forest ..pines..but most roads are gated and locked for no reason but to keep cars out so that they are able the quickly check that ever one has left by 4 pm so that they can knock off..and lock the front gates..I thought act 2013 said access was available 1 hr after sunrise and an hr before sunset.. (Vehicle entry to these areas, are by law of the Forestry Act 2013, restricted to authorised operational personnel, contractors and event organisers (on application) who may require authorised vehicle access.).......10Use of vehicles
(1) A person must not, without lawful authority, drive or ride a vehicle in a forest reserve. Maximum penalty: $750.
Expiation fee: $105.
(2) Subregulation (1) does not apply to a person who drives or rides a vehicle in a forest reserve other than a native forest reserve
(a) on an established road or track (other than a road or track or part of a road or track that has been closed off by a sign or barrier erected with the approval of the Corporation); or
(b) within 5 metres either side of such a road or track for the purpose only of parking or turning the vehicle.
(3) A person must not leave a vehicle in a position that obstructs other vehicles from entering, leaving or proceeding along a road or track in a forest reserve.
Maximum penalty: $750.
Expiation fee: $105.
(4) A warden may remove, or cause to be removed, a vehicle left in contravention of subregulation (3) and the Corporation may recover the reasonable costs of removal from the owner of the vehicle as a debt due to the Corporation..................................""""It's a forest reserve not a native forest reserve...""""No where does it say access is only for workers,and events..

Maybe 10,(2)..(a) on an established road or track (other than a road or track or part of a road or track that has been closed off by a sign or barrier erected with the approval of the Corporation); May cook our goose..we will see.

Baldy said:
Maybe 10,(2)..(a) on an established road or track (other than a road or track or part of a road or track that has been closed off by a sign or barrier erected with the approval of the Corporation); May cook our goose..we will see.
Reading that again, I believe it is about temp closure of a road for safety's reasons and not permanent closures like they are doing..waiting for their reply..

Latest posts