Tektite or rock?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tektite or just a smooth mushroom rock with hole on the flat side? There were no more rocks like it anywhere.
Found south of Newman in WA, not magnetic or glassy.Aboout the size of a 20 cent piece.

1443439192_imag0778.jpg
1443439256_imag0781.jpg

Either a fossilised mushroom or maybe(just maybe) of meteoric origin,...or just an ironstone type blob,..... or just a rock.
Still nice to have on display,...Maybe one day someone will point to it and say " Oh, you've got a such and such,.. where did you get that ? " :)

Stuffed olive? :D

I'd say you'd have some weathered banded iron. If it is the dark bit is hematite and will leave a reddish streak when scratched against a harder surface and the red bit is jasper.
Jon

Hi, i have also found an interesting rock approx 25km south of Newman. It was black with hrey craters when i first found it. Then i washed it and of course had.to.play with it and now.it goes from black to silver grey depending on the temp or whether i am holding ot or not. Under the microscope it has tiny gold blobs sitting in th craters,which some resemble vescules. Under the microscope.i dragged my fingernail over one and.uy appeared to pop and a silver grey substance exposed. It weighs about 24g 4.5 long 2.5 wide and depth is approx 1 cm. Hardness approx 7 and it emitted a strange smell when i wet it. Its rough to touch and glassy appearance it is covered in a black crust which NOW goes greyish green. I thought it.looked like an.ivory coast tektite but they landed in the ocean and Africa. Arthur hickman suggested that it could be an Australite and one had been found previously near Newman, this is the only post i could find. I will.att photo for your perusal. oh scratch test was white . Possible snowflake obsidian but i dont think so. Thanks

Latest posts