Our access is being denied to Mt Crawford declared Fossicking Area..SA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our State gov has locked up one of our only and closest Fossicking areas in SA..This is an important resource for newbies and experienced people alike..Every where you go gates are locked and you are expected to climb over fences..And no car parking..Well I don't think this is good enough , and things will have to change..They want us to pay $5 for the privilege ..Forestry should get the hell out of there..and solely be for Fossicking..With basic facilities ..am wondering the best course of action..? Cheers

Need that button on here so we can get 5 000 signatures at the click of a button ( by mod approval and action through pm's and E-mails). :eek: ;)

That would be a great idea Silver, there is power in numbers, Australians haven't been very militant since the Eureka stockade ..So they think we will go away after a while..This is a case of Forrestry taking over and saying F you..Families should have access , camp there,not have to jump fences..Miners were there before forestry..They can piss off.

The way things are heading, soon we will only be able to prospect in our back yards, not in the font yard in case we offend some race colour or religion, or maybe even upset the south African trotting duck, the way I see it is it is our own fault, as being an Aussie the only thing we will fight for is our right to be apathetic, in some 3rd world countries, if the government does something people don't like, someone would blow them up, not suggesting we should do that or that Australia is not the best place in the world to live, but governments should be in fear of the people not the people in fear of the governments. Fear of being held accountable that is

Sorry for the rant but

Christos57 said:
The way things are heading, soon we will only be able to prospect in our back yards, not in the font yard in case we offend some race colour or religion, or maybe even upset the south African trotting duck, the way I see it is it is our own fault, as being an Aussie the only thing we will fight for is our right to be apathetic, in some 3rd world countries, if the government does something people don't like, someone would blow them up, not suggesting we should do that or that Australia is not the best place in the world to live, but governments should be in fear of the people not the people in fear of the governments. Fear of being held accountable that is

Sorry for the rant but
Thats not a rant
Its what most of us thinking . :)

On just reading this post I was compelled to ring the Mount Crawford Forestry's Dept, to enquire ...

I was told that there has been no closures except on fire band days ... so I asked about closed gates .. advised that the road gates are closed to the public to stop illegal dumping and car burnings plus undesirable driving off road.

I asked.. .do people have to climb the gates / fences to gain entry? ... No. there are access points where you can walk in, even ride a house or mountain bike.

$5 a day or $10 a week still applies to go fossicking.

Cheers Peter.

Find out who the local mwmbwr is and start complaining straight away. :eek:

Hi Pete, it's these roads and gates That should be open..I think they would be gazetted public roads ,they have road names and on the map..Outside there is no where to park, and you have to leave your car miles away..burning cars and shite is not our problem..we should not be punished because of it..Most places I have wanted to go I've had to climb over gates, these roads are locked up ,and you have to climb the fence..We have a lot of gear and would prefer to be close to my car..as we all would..It is run by our gov for us they should be doing a better job of it ..When I asked about the road closures I was told it was because of forestry machinery using them, to which I replied , you could put signs up saying the road is being used by logging trucks like they do in NSW..So I don't know what the real issue is..They don't own it they just manage it for us after all ..They have no right to lock those gates..

Dreamwalking said:
On just reading this post I was compelled to ring the Mount Crawford Forestry's Dept, to enquire ...

I was told that there has been no closures except on fire band days ... so I asked about closed gates .. advised that the road gates are closed to the public to stop illegal dumping and car burnings plus undesirable driving off road.

I asked.. .do people have to climb the gates / fences to gain entry? ... No. there are access points where you can walk in, even ride a house or mountain bike.

$5 a day or $10 a week still applies to go fossicking.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter

I thought it strange because back in the 80's I was a logger for the SA Forestry and even then they would close gates, for similar reasons even if we were working in the general area, but I suppose it was OK for us because we all had keys...

My point is, locking the gates is not new

Bazz

The problem I have is that it's a declared Fossicking area..we are not just fossicking in any state forest..This is our area set aside for us not just the lucky ones with keys..

Yeah Baldy,
That is a very good point, I wasn't into hunting the yella back then, but I suspect that it wasn't a declared fossicking area........

I suppose it's another case of some slob sitting their big fat chair on their big fat bum (oops! can you bum??? ;) ) making decisions that they have no idea about......

Welcome to government

Bazz

I will show them the error ,of their ways..Never Trust Your Government.

Baldy, I've been down to Mt Crawford during the week and there are gates locked so that Forestry can work in an area. I don't have any hassles with that. Hell, I wouldn't want to come across a 22wheeler carrying logs when they are working. Havent been there on weekends for a while but on most weekends, I understand the mountain bikers use the trails to ride their bikes - hardly a lock out!
When I have been there I have always been able to get in, maybe not to where I'd like to have got, but been able to get in none-the-less. As far as the $5 goes, I gather its so forestry can know who's using the place in case of fires etc.

I will go there next week and put pressure on them about these locked gates , and if their not working ! I want to drive in .and I think if your not out by 4 you get locked in..I would like to see that..

Oh come on guys .. its not that hard to adapt to the conditions at Mt Crawford ... traded in my quad bike and now I think I am in front with no more fuel costs or punctures to repair and I am not going to use a pooper scooper either.!!

1454659169_mtcrawford.jpg

Baldy .. I think its time for me to spend more time proof reading so I don't have you all riding houses ...LOL

As a south Australian down here in Mt Gambier.....SA is so backwards its ridiculous. I have never even contemplated prospecting up there because it just seems too hard. Yes the distance is an issue but I would happily use my $17 for 10 year Vic miners right and access any of the free entry state forests over the border. Understandably you guys up in Adelaide are up against it. The way the SA government behaves is a disgrace and all their laws do is promote people to do the wrong thing...or should I say the 'illegal' thing.

another rant over :p

Crawford is backwards,I've spoke to people in there who have obtained a key from the head office,but when I've been in and asked for a key I've been told that they don't give out keys,I've even phone the head office in mount gambier and asked them,even said it could be a health and safety issue,fire,twisted ankle,snakes bites even,some of the spots in Crawford are so far in if you were bitten by a snake you would never make it back to your car,anyone who has a permit should be able to gain access,as they have all your details on the permit!!!

Latest posts