good or bad

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am just starting out in the Lapidary side of things. I came across these lapidary machines which a fella is sell for a couple of hundred dollars. Not knowing anything about them, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice if these machines would be a good starting point. I know they are a bit on the rough side but I was planning on fixing them up. There is also a smaller cutting bench with a smaller cutting wheel on it as well, that I did not get a photo of. Sorry for the poor photos.... :8
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jason.

1453782926_lap4.jpg

1453782954_lap5.jpg

1453782976_lap_1.jpg

1453782998_lap2.jpg

1453783036_lap3.jpg

For a couple of hundred dollars for both the weight feed saw & combination grinding unit you'd be mad not to buy them

Thanks Dughug. I don't know too much about these machines so I much just grab them anyway. They need a bit of work but they run and I suppose thats the main thing. Got to start somewhere I guess.

Jason.

The saw vice looks like a good design for holding odd-shaped rocks - the bicycle chain would conform to the rocks shape as you tightened it down

Looks like a slab saw and a little grinder / cabochon and polish wheel machines. How much are they?

It should also comfortable slip up n down the rails ( with a weight on the end of the wire ) with ease once you loosen the set nut.

The most important thing with the slab saw is to make sure the blade runs true. ( mostly for your safety )

They should work still..pretty hardcore thing. The motors can fail eventually and easily replaced

I got the two saws and the grinder for $400. Not too sure about how much they should be worth but I thought it was a fair price.

Good buying.

With a little TLC you'll soon be cutting cabochons. Post some 'photo's of the restoration and your first pieces of stones cut on the machines. Well done you'll get a bit of fun restoring the machines before you start playing with your rocks!

Thanks everine for your advice. They all need a small bit of tlc but cost wise it should mainly be new cutting wheels and grinding wheels. Not a bad project for the next couple of months.

I have bought recently exactly the same grinder and the same saw.
The grinder is way bigger than it looks on the pictures, and it is bloody heavy.

I have just started the restauration of the saw - fully dissassembled, I started painting the parts in contact with the cutting oil.

We attended the APLA meeting in Capel last night. The guest speaker was from Rockingham Lapidary Club. He said they use kerosine for cutting lubricant/coolant. Water just causes everything to rust and the kero has enough oil content to keep it all working nicely.

I agree GP. The grinder is huge. I stripped the saw down last night. I was actually shocked that there was no rusted bolts or that. The slide bar was not seized up and everything seemed to be in pretty good nick for the age of the machine and not having been used for nearly 10 years.

Hey there Willo, looks like a pretty sweet deal you got there. Did you get to see any of it running?

Yeah it all ran.. needs new cutting blades and a bit of tlc but all in all they were in pretty good condition for their age.

Moneybox said:
We attended the APLA meeting in Capel last night. The guest speaker was from Rockingham Lapidary Club. He said they use kerosine for cutting lubricant/coolant. Water just causes everything to rust and the kero has enough oil content to keep it all working nicely.
Kerosene mist mixed with motors which spark and pole on startup and wind down...not a good idea. I highly reccomend using only the correct reccomended coolant for cutters or even vegetable oil.

If you have polishing pads on any machines, the kero mist will eat them away in minutes. The gem club was using kero next to the Cabking machine...we had to buy 3 new discs for $300 odd bux to repair the damage. Only use kero if you have no alternative imo

Water does make the tools rust so you will need a lubricant to keep it clean yes like an oil

If using Kerosene, diesel or an oil based lubricant when you've finished cutting your rocks drop them into a bowl of kitty litter (clay/kaolin based) which will soon absorb the coolant.

Jason,

nice restoration mate, you've recouped/doubled your money on this machine alone.

You've got many hours of cutting ahead of you.

Well done

Sure have... can't wait to get the new blade and new grinding stones for the grinder...

Latest posts