5000D Coinmaster

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im using my uncles first detector that he bought 40 odd years ago, coinmaster 5000D yep its old as dirt but still great fun.

can get a signal of a nugget too but have to run it very unstable and noisy so cant use it for that.

old as dirt, 40 years hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

(I know where youre coming from, just when I was 18 I thought 30 was old.....and 20 years was a life time, lol)

Got my first detector in 1979 .... Whites Coinmaster 5000D ... still got it now.. in its box ...LOL ... found my first pennies with it but no gold when I took it to Tibooburra, even found coins at the beach with ease.... a couple of months back just for memories I took it for a swing for about 30 minutes before my wrist began to complain about the terrible handle....Things have changed, once found pennies now I find mobile phones instead...LOL ..It works great of tidal beaches, I trained up on finding gold on those tidal beaches looking for fishing sinkers....don't think I have ever had to buy a sinker since.
The guy in the shop where I bought it claimed it was the best gold finding detector on the market ... I guess I didn't use it right or he sold me a dud .... LOL ... the silly part about all this is that I saw one at a flea market a few years back (not working) I couldn't resist .. I bought it for $50 ... fixed it and ever since then it has just sat in the corner of the shed. One day when Antique Roadshow comes to town ...I'm going to make my fortune.

haha thats awesome still got it, i love mine too.

lol its not a dud, i played with mine and a 2 gram speci and the only way it would pick it up is if i run the detector sooo unstable it would drive ya nuts listening to it.

at least you dont have to buy sinkers anymore :) .

i'd probably buy another one too if i seen one lol.

My old man still swears by his.... It's amazing to think that such a sensitive piece of equipment made so long ago can still work perfectly!
Good quality stuff I guess.

I have been scanning the ads for a cheapish detector to start off with and have had a Coinmaster 5000D come up ,seems a descent price but is missing the battery (I assume battery pack) and charger.
My question is can these packs still be purchased or is there something I can make up to suit?
TIA

Andrew

It has the type clip inside for a normal 9v battery(which you can use),... or you can buy a AA battery pack(takes six batteries) from Jaycar that fits inside and does the job nicely for a few dollars(+ the cost of the batteries). :D

G/day John
Just something to have a bit of a play with, main use would be just poking around the popular creek and river picnic areas,
for lost coin ect also have some private access to a property up my way which had a old timber mill and logging many many years back.(unfortunately no one can actually tell me where abouts this was on the property)the logging areas are easy to pick out and there many snig tracks which run around the property.
Silver thank for your reply as I didn't want to purchase something then spend hours trying to sort out a power supply

Regards Andrew

Thanks Numpty,
Not actually sure what voltage it runs but as long as I know I can modify / buy battery carriers for it I don't mind .

Andrew

I was lucky enough to pick up a Coinmaster 5000D today , been looking around for something to have a play with,anyway one came up on Gumtree rang the bloke and he couldn't tell me if it worked or not.
Met him this morning and put some batteries in and it seemed to turn on straight away.
Now to have a play with the settings and see how it goes.
The only issue I have so far is the speaker seems to crackle and the loudness when this happens seems to increase.
When I get a bit more time I will check the connection to it and see if that improves things
Anyway can't complain too much as I only paid $35.00 for it
1454124727_image.jpg

Flat batteries can cause some issues like that mate. The terminals and solder joints can get dodgy as well being so old, but test batts first.
Test it at ur house, depending what street your on, you should find something. If you live on an 'ancient riverbed' as many houses there are, you may find very little in trinkets until you get onto dirt and clay.

Learn the slit and plug digging methods to make sure no one complains about 'rabit holes' and keeping it tidy / clean. Very important :)

Thanks AR and Silver had a bit more of a play yesterday arvo .
Think I have it sorted now ,just need to learn and understand more in regards to the settings ect. (refer post first finds)

Regards Andrew

Edited to ask the face of the coil is rather dirty which would be the bet way to clean it or should I leave as it is?

Latest posts