Quartz, but which type

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not too sure if the subject tidal is correct, but in the attached picture of quartz you may see some clearer looking rock. To the naked eye it is very clear (like glass) and appears to have a crystal look about it. The picture makes it look opaque, but in natural light it is very clear.

Just wondering, is it still a form of quartz and if so what causes it to be so much clearer than the rest of the lump.

PS. Little Miss 12 YO is convinced that it is diamonds :lol:, I think I will just let her believe that too as she make a great companion and if she thinks its diamonds, who am I to disagree with her ;)

1375428295_002.jpg

Hunting the yellow said:
m8 that yellow stuff looks very much like gold :D :eek:

the quartz is Smokey quartz with a few crystals :) ;)

Yellow stuff looks whiter in natural light, more like some form of calcium build up, I could only wish it was the real deal 8.(

Hi Arwon,

Looks to be just simply clear Quartz (possibly eroded crystals) attached to ordinary white Quartz. Possibly just from an area that formed a vug of crystals at a different temperature to the rest of the Quartz formation, also depends on where the inclusions, faults and, or, separation planes occurred in the matrix while hardening from a liquid state.

I picked up a similar looking Quartz crystal specimen (with all the crystals still intact) that was broken away from a larger, plain white Quartz reef down at Wellington while wandering about in the hills.

Hunting the yellow said:
m8 that yellow stuff looks very much like gold big_smile yikes

the quartz is Smokey quartz with a few crystals smile wink

Right with you there HTY. If it is gold, it's a very impressive specimen! :eek:

Kindest regards,
Shauno.