You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Mandissa
09 January 2016 08:11 pm

Hmmm , I keep driving past quarts in sides of roads in local area , new road works that scrape the batters , ect ect , been prob exposed for years so I always thought if there was gold in it , it would be picked at ect. ,,,, , yet I took a random small sample and crushed it for fun !!!! 2 small specs , So. , is there gold exposed and we just ignore it and think the old timers got it all ! , Just makes me wonder each time I drive past exposed Quartz in sides of road in old gold areas , After the bushfires we had a lot of land slips and they exposed quarts , Could they have undiscovered gold smile

2 users like this post: stoyve, RM Outback

stoyve
09 January 2016 08:23 pm

Great question Mandissa,
I think a few might expand their horizons in that area, but remember that it's not legal to dig up the roads and verges, I believe that in Victoria that means right up to the fence lines on the sides of roads in most cases.
Cheers Steve

"Closed mouth gathers no feet"

2 users like this post: silver, AngerManagement

silver
09 January 2016 08:30 pm

I don't think we are supposed to mine into the road cuttings at all. smile

What a great day ! ,... " I'll see you in the field ".

Mandissa
09 January 2016 08:44 pm

silver wrote:

I don't think we are supposed to mine into the road cuttings at all. smile

I know we not , but when it's not a main road and it's always falling into road as well , I'm sure I can pick up a bit , I'm not actually digging . And I did say I picked up a small bit smile .

But I'm sure everybody has seen a dozer on a private property expose quarts building a shed / house / dam ect and wonder if ,,,

Red robin gold reef was discovered as late as 1940 in the upper west Kiewa river and its
First test crush produced over 120 ounces of gold , . It took the person 30 years to find the reef from very small specs , yet the reef was rich , red robin is still being worked today .

So. , What have we missed

4 users like this post: Bjay, stoyve, Smoky bandit, silver

silver
09 January 2016 08:48 pm

If you look at both sides of the road and read which way the seam runs, you could contact the landowner over the fence and heve a play on the other side of the hill to the road. wink

1 user likes this post: stoyve

Al78
12 January 2016 12:43 am

Here is some free gold if you can be bothered getting it out, VERY VERY hard rock and only small specs that I can see. Its a cut on Toodyay Rd on the West side 250 meters before Berry Rd turnoff.

eijskx.jpg

Westaus
12 January 2016 02:30 am

Thanks AI78 for sharing, shame though it is on a live tenement cry

Still may take a drive for education purposes only...

AtomRat
12 January 2016 09:04 am

silver wrote:

If you look at both sides of the road and read which way the seam runs, you could contact the landowner over the fence and heve a play on the other side of the hill to the road. wink

But you can follow what's in the road cutting to where you can dig it, ie quartz vein. smile

Wisdom is knowing how little you know

silver
12 January 2016 09:09 am

AtomRat wrote:
silver wrote:

But you can follow what's in the road cutting to where you can dig it, ie quartz vein. smile

All is possible id recon. big_smile wink wink

1 user likes this post: AtomRat

Mandissa
16 January 2016 10:19 pm

Al78 wrote:

Here is some free gold if you can be bothered getting it out, VERY VERY hard rock and only small specs that I can see. Its a cut on Toodyay Rd on the West side 250 meters before Berry Rd turnoff.

http://i64.tinypic.com/eijskx.jpg

Great example of what I meant

tailormarc
27 March 2017 04:32 pm

Al78 wrote:

http://i64.tinypic.com/eijskx.jpg

Im not far from there! Might take a look this weekend

Phoenix76
27 March 2017 06:38 pm

It's a very interesting topic. I believe that you can fossick, if that's the right description, along the sides of the road and cuttings. But you are NOT allowed to dig or otherwise interfere with the road edges.

The other interesting thing is, when they do roads, especially unsealed ones out in the bush, they get their base from wherever it is available. By that I mean, they get it from their depots, but the depots can get it from anywhere. You often find lots of quartz in road building, and just like Mandissa, never know what you will find. Also a good chance of picking up some good gemstone samples as well.

Cheers
Bill

1 user likes this post: tailormarc

GypsyGoldAu
27 March 2017 08:29 pm

Phoenix76 wrote:

The other interesting thing is, when they do roads, especially unsealed ones out in the bush, they get their base from wherever it is available. By that I mean, they get it from their depots, but the depots can get it from anywhere. Y

Castlemaine has a number of roads laid down in the last 5 yrs and the 'fill' has come from old mine tailings....just never know where the gold will find you eh?....

GGA Mobile Electroplating (Mil. Std_865d Certified) Industrial & Decorative.
glasses http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/gy … aryborough

2 users like this post: Phoenix76, Chewy

20xwater
27 March 2017 08:43 pm

road gravels that come from eg a quarry near the golbourn river I know of have fine colour in them.

GypsyGoldAu
27 March 2017 08:55 pm

Town wouldn't begin with an 'S' would it?... lol

1 user likes this post: 20xwater

Tassie Daz
27 March 2017 09:06 pm

I don't know if what I'm about to share is right or not but when I was over in the GT last year and I was detecting along a road side, I was told that if the local sheriff came along he could confiscate my gear for detecting along the roadside ie the gutter. At the time I'd just got my new 4500 and I wasn't all that keen on loosing it, so I was very careful........but still did it. Gold is gold after all.

Garret ATX, Garrett Pro-pointer, Garrett AT Pro, Unused (as yet) home made Highbanker, and a true believer! Trying to Learn to SEE, not just LOOK

2 users like this post: Chewy, silver

Chewy
27 March 2017 09:14 pm

Tassie Daz wrote:

I don't know if what I'm about to share is right or not but when I was over in the GT last year and I was detecting along a road side, I was told that if the local sheriff came along he could confiscate my gear for detecting along the roadside ie the gutter. At the time I'd just got my new 4500 and I wasn't all that keen on loosing it, so I was very careful........but still did it. Gold is gold after all.

thumbsup thumbsup lol devil True that Taz. Gold is gold.

Last edited by Chewy (27 March 2017 09:14 pm)

Here gold gold gold gold.

kemjak57
27 March 2017 09:29 pm

Last year a couple of blokes that work for me were on their way to Cooktown. They saw a lad in a cutting trying to manhandle a huge boulder that had dislodged itself and rolled down into the road verge. They stopped and gave him a hand to load it into his trailer and he told them he had picked up other rocks from the cutting and dollied them and he had recovered just under an ounce of gold from them. You never know where you will find the stuff yikes

True friends are like gold, precious and hard to find. Treasure them when you have them.

1 user likes this post: The Green Wanderer

DrDuck
27 March 2017 11:25 pm

I don't remember if it was on this forum or another one, but some years ago there was a story of some grader drivers who struck it rich in Queensland during a routine job.

1 user likes this post: silver

kemjak57
28 March 2017 08:19 am

DrDuck wrote:

I don't remember if it was on this forum or another one, but some years ago there was a story of some grader drivers who struck it rich in Queensland during a routine job.

I think that was in Weipa.

True friends are like gold, precious and hard to find. Treasure them when you have them.

GypsyGoldAu
28 March 2017 09:51 am

big_smile big_smile big_smile Plumbers and roadcrew did well around Dunolly over the years too... wink

1 user likes this post: scottlucky

silver
28 March 2017 09:51 am

kemjak57 wrote:
DrDuck wrote:

I think that was in Weipa.

Yeah, yeah, it was nowhere down south at all ! hmm

tailormarc
28 March 2017 11:41 am

Phoenix76 wrote:

It's a very interesting topic. I believe that you can fossick, if that's the right description, along the sides of the road and cuttings. But you are NOT allowed to dig or otherwise interfere with the road edges.

The other interesting thing is, when they do roads, especially unsealed ones out in the bush, they get their base from wherever it is available. By that I mean, they get it from their depots, but the depots can get it from anywhere. You often find lots of quartz in road building, and just like Mandissa, never know what you will find. Also a good chance of picking up some good gemstone samples as well.

Cheers
Bill

Funny you should say tht. There is a location just north of New norcia (batty bog road) where they layed down alot of road base. All around there are terminated crystals, banded iron, other interesting rocks. I contacted the shire and they said they get it from local farmers.

Hunting the yellow
28 March 2017 10:26 pm

Mandissa wrote:

Hmmm , I keep driving past quarts in sides of roads in local area , new road works that scrape the batters , ect ect , been prob exposed for years so I always thought if there was gold in it , it would be picked at ect. ,,,, , yet I took a random small sample and crushed it for fun !!!! 2 small specs , So. , is there gold exposed and we just ignore it and think the old timers got it all ! , Just makes me wonder each time I drive past exposed Quartz in sides of road in old gold areas , After the bushfires we had a lot of land slips and they exposed quarts , Could they have undiscovered gold smile

a lot of gold was found when they we're building the roads around the golden triangle sadly most of it is now under that sticky black stuff hahaha but yes its a good idea to check road cuttings and railway cuttings but watch for trains. ohh but just don't check airports hahaha.

Last edited by Hunting the yellow (28 March 2017 10:27 pm)

1 user likes this post: Tathradj

LC76
28 March 2017 10:40 pm

Hunting the yellow wrote:

a lot of gold was found when they we're building the roads around the golden triangle sadly most of it is now under that sticky black stuff hahaha but yes its a good idea to check road cuttings and railway cuttings but watch for trains. ohh but just don't check airports hahaha.

Careful with that type of advice HTY
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/sto … r-collide/

1 user likes this post: Tathradj
Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site