sampleing new ground to test for AU

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all well im going to be testing some new areas that aren't that well known for gold. mainly my focus will be to take lots of rock chip samples mainly from quartz veins looking for hi grade reef deposits I've already ordered 500 sample bags and are numbering now from 1 to 500 generally what I will do is go out take a rock chip sample along the outcropping reef or where it joins or splits into two. then if there's another reef running to opposite way to the one I've just sampled ill sample that separately as well. then i take a gps reading and save it to come back to if its worth while coming back then all my samples are weight them in kgs and crush them in my hammer mill for gold and other trace minerals like antimony pyrite etc. and pan the crushed up ore in different tubs if I find more than say 10 specks in the pan I go back and do more testing along the reef to find the richest part of it to dig/mine out by hand. if im getting less than 10 specks I don't bother going back basically what im looking for is hi grade payable ore if I find something that go's from 2 or 20 oz. to the ton I will get a prospecting claim or if the gold lasts and go's deep I will apply for a mining claim over the area providing its not on a crown reserve.

here's the 500 bags

Pretty similar to the way I do it but I dont need 500 sample bags as Im not sending off a job lot for assay. I just use the same 2 gallon plastic flower pots over and over. I just write myself a note about location and sample type ie mullock from existing workings or dyke outcrop etc with GPs reference and put the note in the pot with the sample then log it on a spreadsheet when i get home

Good luck with your endevours I hope you find another Red Robin reef. I think the easy part would be finding a workable deposit. The hard part will be convincing the DPI or whatever they are calling themselves this week, to grant you a permit to work.

Best of luck to you HTY, sounds like you have your work cut out for you mate.
Personally, I wouldn't be to quick to dismiss "less than 10 pieces in the pan" (gold) and other valuable minerals cAn tend to be formed in and hour glass shape, horizontally, and vertically, and go from a reasonably wide ore body to a narrow ore body in a mere few meters, so a sample from the surface that's showing a few specs in the pan might show real weight a few meters down, and can also be the opposite, I have also seen some "pinch out points" last for a good 20-30 meters (underground)
There was (still is) available a hand held core drill, I was looking into one quite awhile ago, from memory it is called The Shaw Drill but I can't be to sure, basically a mini handheld diamond drill rig, from the YouTube clip it looked awesome and there was a prospecting store in WA selling them running between $5-$6,500 from memory :cool:

dwt said:
Personally, I wouldn't be to quick to dismiss "less than 10 pieces in the pan" (gold) and other valuable minerals cAn tend to be formed in and hour glass shape, horizontally, and vertically, and go from a reasonably wide ore body to a narrow ore body in a mere few meters, so a sample from the surface that's showing a few specs in the pan might show real weight a few meters down, and can also be the opposite, I have also seen some "pinch out points" last for a good 20-30 meters (underground)
There was (still is) available a hand held core drill, I was looking into one quite awhile ago, from memory it is called The Shaw Drill but I can't be to sure, basically a mini handheld diamond drill rig, from the YouTube clip it looked awesome and there was a prospecting store in WA selling them running between $5-$6,500 from memory :cool:

Case in point is the little vein in the pic below. From about the same level as the tape measure it produced the gold in the pan in the second pic from around 2 kilos of quartz / ironstone & altered slate.
1452901125_modified_miner2.jpg

1452901355_p1030121.jpg

At this point I got a bit excited and arranged to have a second sample assayed but when I took the second 30kg sample from about knee height and tested portion of it just to make sure it contained almost no visible gold.

jethro said:
dwt said:

Case in point is the little vein in the pic below. From about the same level as the tape measure it produced the gold in the pan in the second pic from around 2 kilos of quartz / ironstone & altered slate.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1297/1452901125_modified_miner2.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1297/1452901355_p1030121.jpg

At this point I got a bit excited and arranged to have a second sample assayed but when I took the second 30kg sample from about knee height and tested portion of it just to make sure it contained almost no visible gold.

that's some nice colour :cool:

Excellent video guy's, Watching the vids makes me feel like dragging myself away from the computer and getting back out there exploring and sampling again.. The water is a WOW factor anyone downstream probably thought they were in the top end with flash flooding :lol: top job guys and a great effort hope you all do well.. GC

Ya not scared of a bit of diggin are you HTY, top effort. Did the sludge on the floor smell of sulfur? I know of a mine up were I poke around that could do with the same treatment. I helped the last MRC holders pull out their rail just before it was closed off in the mid 90s and they said that there was still payable stone in the floor of the drive below the stopes if someone was tough enough to live on the side of a mountain and sink a winze below adit level. Looks like you might be the man.

jethro said:
Ya not scared of a bit of diggin are you HTY, top effort. Did the sludge on the floor smell of sulfur? I know of a mine up were I poke around that could do with the same treatment. I helped the last MRC holders pull out their rail just before it was closed off in the mid 90s and they said that there was still payable stone in the floor of the drive below the stopes if someone was tough enough to live on the side of a mountain and sink a winze below adit level. Looks like you might be the man.

yeah a bit of sulphur and mainly rotting wood when I was digging it out this is payable too me but in the video I have to get past a second cave in in order to get to the reef on the other side. I could work it via shaft but its a lot cheaper and easier and safer to work it via the adit. I know what's on the other side I just have to bog all the dirt out at the end to get to it.

That's some great work right there!

But you should have built a bloody sluice in that channel before you broke the dam! :)

Now you're just going to have to go and pan that bleeding creek :)

Just stirring - awesome work!