S.A Fossicking rules..Miners act 1971..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
fossicking means the gathering of minerals
(a) as a recreation; and
(b) without any intention to sell the minerals or to utilise them for a commercial or industrial purpose,
but does not include the gathering of minerals by any means involving disturbance of land or water by machinery or explosives;

Talked to 5 people at Pirsa, today..and they confirmed that this is The Regs governing fossicking in SA..What does it mean...1 can't sell our gold...2 cannot use water,machinery ,or explosives to disturb the (Land)..So we can dig with a shovel,dig with a pick ect..to disturb the Land..once it's in your bucket it is no longer land and becomes a bucket of sand ect and you can do with it what you want..Electric pumps running a sluice would not disturb the land..hence ok..The first person I talked to told me I couldn't dig deeper than 1 mtr..I asked where was that written in the mining act 1971..And it's not just bs..The act is very simply written, and quite short..Pirsa seemed more interested in if I was going to sell any of my finds..got to laugh..

Latest posts