Cleaning modern coins. Decimals.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ramjet said:
Ridge Runner said:
Checkout my post on this thread, This might help, ok.

John

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13321

Lemon juice and elctrickery can damage your coin.

That's why I said don't walk away and leave it cooking, once the cooking starts you can rub the dull staining off with just your thumb, or use a tooth brush, but once it starts to loosen up Jif/Cif and a tooth brush will get the worst off,,

If ever you find any copper coins that are heavily corroded don't clean them, I Once found the 2 most Valuable English pennies that had a letter code on each one and these Buggers were worth Thousands and as I was getting undressed to get in the bath to warm up coz it was minus 12c out side when I stopped detecting I knocked the 2 coins into the Bath and although the coins looked perfect but they were dark green with patina the hot water took that coating straight off in second and stuffed them, I kid you not they were worth MEGA Bucks and lost in seconds.

John

Ranex if you can find it. Not sure if they still sell it. It's a mild acid based stuff used for cleaning aluminium and other metals.
Usually found at Auto parts stores.

Alumabrite (think the spelling is correct) works as well.

Wear gloves with both of the above. Water will neautralise the acid.

I probably wouldnt use hydrochloric acid if the money is going back to the bank...everyone would have very itchy pocket regions..
Could damage the coins and also let off a few nasty gasses like chlorine

Quite honestly..I havnt tried it but Coca Cola should work fine on moderns having a high content of phosphoric acid ( alloy cleaner )

i use a rust treatment, has phosphoric acid in it, just pop them in for 2-3 minutes, brush and wash.

use some cloves though.

numpty said:
i use a rust treatment, has phosphoric acid in it, just pop them in for 2-3 minutes, brush and wash.

use some cloves though.

Sounds similar to Ranex and Alumabrite. :)

Another one someone told me about ages ago is Citric acid. Can get it at supermarkets cheaply and isn't toxic like other acids, but will take a bit longer. Haven't tried it, but worth a shot.

Wookiee said:
numpty said:

use some cloves though.

Sounds similar to Ranex and Alumabrite. :)

Another one someone told me about ages ago is Citric acid. Can get it at supermarkets cheaply and isn't toxic like other acids, but will take a bit longer. Haven't tried it, but worth a shot.
oranges and limes(citric acid) kill coppers,.... believe me, I know(ha). :eek: :D ;)

Hi Trev,

From what I read on your original post, I'd say use the same solution, if it works. I reckon the coins turned green again after cleaning because they still had some acid clinging to them (acetic acid from vinegar, and the green would probably be copper acetate). They might be more stable if you neutralised them in a dilute bicarb solution overnight.

When I've been cleaning nuggets in any acid, I neutralise them in bicarb for a couple of days, then soak them in tap water for another day or so to remove any residues. The same should apply to modern coins.

If you can afford a decent gem tumbler, by far the easiest way to clean bulk anounts of spendables minus the chemicals, mess and physical effort. Nothing worst than being left with used chemicals and acids and having no appropriate method of disposal available to you. Making your own rumbler is also another option, has been covered on some other topics. :)

After having quite a few stores and banks refuse the dirty coins I have been searching for an easy way to clean them as wire brush on each coin is very time consuming. Tried out the rock tumbler with the stainless shot media and presto. The goldies only require an hour or so but the 5, 10, 20 and 50's require a little longer maybe 2 to 3 hours but thats from barely readable to clean again.
1473468985_dsc00278.jpg
1473468998_dsc00252.jpg
1473469032_dsc00197.jpg

Yeah I don't have or use anything here in North Queensland that requires a coin operated machine. The only bank that has a coin counting machine is the Commonwealth Bank and I am not a customer.

That's a neat looking machine, any idea on how much they cost? I built my own quite a few years back, it can handle large containers, and I can use any electric motor on it. At the moment, it has a washing machine motor, way overkill, but can handle heavy loads easily. will put a pic up when I figure out how.

Mike.

Mike70 said:
That's a neat looking machine, any idea on how much they cost? I built my own quite a few years back, it can handle large containers, and I can use any electric motor on it. At the moment, it has a washing machine motor, way overkill, but can handle heavy loads easily. will put a pic up when I figure out how.

Mike.

Lortone Tumbler Jewelry Gem Stone Clean Rock Polishing
$199.00 - eBay.com.au free shipping

goldwright said:
Yeah I don't have or use anything here in North Queensland that requires a coin operated machine. The only bank that has a coin counting machine is the Commonwealth Bank and I am not a customer.

The commonwealth banks around here have 2 types of counting machines, the ones in the wall are no good and jam up easily, I know from an embarrasing experience :), the other type are more industrial looking units that are bolted to the floor, I've put some really crappy looking coins through the big ones and hardly get any rejects, it just gobbles them up. :D

Looks like the tumbler has done a great job on them mate.

Has any one tried CLR solution or chlorine to get rid or the corrosion on decimal copper nickel coins
I thought a soak and wash should do, just don't have either of them ATM to test with
I would expect CLR to work but thought chlorine would be the cheaper option 8)