Finders keepers, losers weepers?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It happens all the time mate. A few months back i stopped and asked if these two blokes with their car (bonnet up) were ok. I said do you need me to ring a tow truck or RACQ. This was on a friday afternoon and all i wanted to do was get home and have a coldie, i had a busy week. Well they said "Have you got any diesel ?, we have run out of fuel." So i drive home, about 2 ks and siphon the diesel out of my car, go back and give them the fuel. They pour it into their car, prime it, start the ute and handed me back the jerry can, thanks mate and drove off.

Well i can tell you after that final episode, everyone now can go and get stuffed...Roscoe

Used to drive a cab. People leave all kinds of stuff behind.

Dozens of mobile phones, camera gear notebooks all made it back to the owners.

Most people don't give you anything for your troubles. Their just happy to see it.

Of course, plenty of people offering money to relieve you of the trouble of returning iPhones.

If I found a $20,000 diamond ring I would report it to the police station. But not a nugget.

Things that didn't go back to owners were G-strings, bras and drugs. Ended up in the trash.

Roscoe said:
It happens all the time mate. A few months back i stopped and asked if these two blokes with their car (bonnet up) were ok. I said do you need me to ring a tow truck or RACQ. This was on a friday afternoon and all i wanted to do was get home and have a coldie, i had a busy week. Well they said "Have you got any diesel ?, we have run out of fuel." So i drive home, about 2 ks and siphon the diesel out of my car, go back and give them the fuel. They pour it into their car, prime it, start the ute and handed me back the jerry can, thanks mate and drove off.

Well i can tell you after that final episode, everyone now can go and get stuffed...Roscoe

Roscoe, you did the right thing at that moment. Helped a fellow human in trouble.

You can't change how they reacted any more than you could not stop for the next person in trouble you see ;)

Ramjet said:
Roscoe said:

Roscoe, you did the right thing at that moment. Helped a fellow human in trouble.

You can't change how they reacted any more than you could not stop for the next person in trouble you see ;)

Karma is a bitch. It will pay them back. What they did is rude but karma will catch up with them and you will get it back too. Dont give up on humans just yet. :)

I would like to think Karma is a real thing out there. I had a young kid with his father the other day in my shop. The young fellow said to me that he found a $2.oo coin on the ground in my shop. I said to him you keep it mate and thanks for being honest your a good lad. I will and i always do reward someone some how for being honest. My wife is Thai and she looks at things differently than me, she says help people because you want to and expect nothing in return (or something like that).

Redmanti said:
Used to drive a cab. People leave all kinds of stuff behind.

Dozens of mobile phones, camera gear notebooks all made it back to the owners.

Most people don't give you anything for your troubles. Their just happy to see it.

Of course, plenty of people offering money to relieve you of the trouble of returning iPhones.

If I found a $20,000 diamond ring I would report it to the police station. But not a nugget.

Things that didn't go back to owners were G-strings, bras and drugs. Ended up in the trash.

LOL!

Roscoe said:
I would like to think Karma is a real thing out there. I had a young kid with his father the other day in my shop. The young fellow said to me that he found a $2.oo coin on the ground in my shop. I said to him you keep it mate and thanks for being honest your a good lad. I will and i always do reward someone some how for being honest. My wife is Thai and she looks at things differently than me, she says help people because you want to and expect nothing in return (or something like that).

I understand what you mean about karma. When something horrible happens to innocent people you wonder if karma does exist or if it's just an imaginary rule we humans made up to convince everyone they must do the right thing or else. "Boogeyman syndrome"

Roscoe said:

Hear Hear

recently I found a $300 GPS sports watch, I've tried gumtree and craig'slist and even the manufacturers website because it's all computerised and the unit number is part of the account system for cloud fitness data....

no reply, the last is annoying because it is very traceable.

You would think that the manufactures or importers would be able to trace the owner. The serial # would be recorded for warranty purposes.

I dont think they care too much, hence no reply. If the thing is so traceable then putting it back where you found it wouldn't hurt as it has GPS lol. If they want it back, they should triangulate it's location. Probably best to hand it over to a police station, that way you can't get stuffed around by that non-sense "theft by finding" law if they decide to trace it.

before the battery failed it also gave me the entered age and weight of the owner. I had all this data to confirm ownership. Might hand in it now I've tried the direct method.

It would of been much better if it had stored in it. BIG Nugget gully degrees, minutes, seconds. The golf ball patch degrees, minutes, seconds etc. I wonder if people would return that GPS back ASAP? I think i would hold onto that one for a wee longer myself...Roscoe

this is just my curiousity talking. but when detecting for coins in public places like parks, camp grounds, any usual place u can detect. if u do find coins is it finders keepers. or is there a process u have to follow before u can legally say its urs

There is a law called Theft by finding. Short version is if you have a reasonable chance of finding the owner, that is what you should do. Pretty hard to track down the owner of a $2 coin ;) It relates more to jewellery etc which can be identified. If you hand something into the police and it's not claimed in 90 days, it's yours. Make sure you get e receipt for any item handed in.

Here are a couple of related topics.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4395

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3272

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=882

Ramjet said:
There is a law called Theft by finding. Short version is if you have a reasonable chance of finding the owner, that is what you should do. Pretty hard to track down the owner of a $2 coin ;) It relates more to jewellery etc which can be identified. If you hand something into the police and it's not claimed in 90 days, it's yours. Make sure you get e receipt for any item handed in.

Here are a couple of related topics.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4395

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3272

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=882

but when it comes to coins its finders keepers

Latest posts