Clams and Mussles from Coober Pedy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1439138036_001.jpg

1439138045_002.jpg

1439138053_003.jpg

1439138062_004.jpg

1439138068_005.jpg

Martin said:
Thanks, all up I have about 200 clams and mussles from Coober Pedy.
WOW 8)
Are they all found by you?
Are any of them opalised?
You couldnt find that many by chance ... Do you target a specific area ?
Im not after specifics , just very curious

wow how you gunna cookem?
I know when the saucepan melts throw the clams away and eat the pan hehehehe. Sorry couldn't resist. I love the fossils as its like finding a nice sapphire and you are the only person that has ever touched it and it's 60,000 years old. Love it well done.
Mackka

Sandta said:
Are they all found by you?

Yes.

Sandta said:
Are any of them opalised?

None are. Quite a few on the top level were damaged, below the surface ones are fine.

Sandta said:
You couldnt find that many by chance ... Do you target a specific area ?

Yes, there's a certain area. Edge of Fourteen Mile Field. Not many quality ones left now... ;)

AtomRat said:
Are they delicate?

No, quite solid.

Hey Martin,

Nice fossils, my favourite is the one on pic4.

I was lucky to find a couple myself in Coober Pedy last FEB (incl. one opalised mussel), close to the place that you have mentioned.

Nothing better than searching for opal in the dry heat :)

Cheers, Tom

wow some awesome pieces, those long ones must be rare, 'not that i know anything about opals' but iv'e never seen the long thin one's like those in the rock :Y:

numpty said:
wow some awesome pieces, those long ones must be rare, 'not that i know anything about opals' but iv'e never seen the long thin one's like those in the rock :Y:

Google "opalised belemnites" and go sideways from there. They're fascinating.

Fossil_phile18 said:
numpty said:

Google "opalised belemnites" and go sideways from there. They're fascinating.

wow and wow, thanks very much for that, that 1st lot of rainbow ones are fantastic.

1534516956_rtbrain34-033.jpg

1534517023_chwx_dawwaavhzr.jpg

Latest posts