Seisia fishing trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Somehow I managed to fit in a quick fishing trip with some of the lads just before the end of the year. It was one of those trips you talk about on a Monday and have it booked and flying out by the following week. I still cant work out how all the stars lined up so quickly, but they did.
So packed the rods and a suitcase and of to the airport with Seisia as our destination. Not an easy flight in that respect. First stop was Cairns then onto a Dash-8 plane to Horn Island then to Weipa and then to Bamaga and then a short car ride to Seisia. We met up with our host called Bulli from the Seisia bait and tackle shop who co-ordinated the accommodation, boat hire and transport for us. The guy is an absolute legend. For such a remote destination this guy is the go-to guy for everything. Cant praise him enough. The only regret I have is not taking more photos of the place [too busy pulling in fishlol]
View from the boat ramp
1450266266_seisiaview.jpg

Seisia Wharf
1450266293_seisiawharf.jpg

Some of the spinning gear
1450266417_rods.jpg

That wharf is amazing. We fished it in the evenings after a full days fishing on the boat just for something relaxing to do. There were all sorts of critters taken by us and the locals on that wharf, from sharks to spaniards and tackle being busted up at every second or third cast.
Fishing from the boat just got better. From acrobatic queenies and black tip reef sharks to blue fin tuna and barracuda
Black Spot Travelly
1450267003_blackspottravelli.jpg

Blue Fin Tuna
1450267064_bluefin_tuna.jpg

Barracuda
1450267103_barracuda.jpg
1450267114_barracudateeth.jpg

And my favourite....A little something fish with a mouth bigger than its body and razor sharp teeth all round
1450267243_little_fish.jpg

The following day we decided that seeing the Tip of this great land was a must but before we head up we headed to Fruit Bat Falls on the other side of the Jardine River for a quick swim [minus the crocks and the sharks so we put away the rods, jumped in the car and started driving towards the Jardine
1450267343_jardinecrossing.jpg
1450267366_jardineferry.jpg

Ok so we got lost somewhere between 50kms past the river and 150kms into the Telegraph Road.
1450267498_losttroopy.jpg

I dont care how you spell it out but that is one punishing road both on the car and on the passengers. After passing Captain Billys Landing and a few kms out of Archers Roadhouse we unanimously agreed that we were lost. So we flagged down a motorbike rider for directions, made a u-turn and headed in the right direction
Destination Fruit Bat Falls..finally ..and bloody worth every damn corrugation
1450267537_fruitbatfallssign.jpg
1450267570_fruitbatfalls.jpg

Im going to have to continue this a bit later with some pics from the Tip. Hope you guys enjoyed the pics so far

Gday Chris, what are great time you blokes had out there, and some rippa catches mate! Can I ask what the little toothy one is? Only barracuda I've caught was about 40 of the little guys aroubd 50cm swarming around cowes pier, so I nabbed yhem up for bait which never got used..I was probably 14 then. I know bugger all about fishing and wish I had some input. I'd love to get out on a boat one day and experience it all

It looks like you had perfect time, weather and scenery, and captured it all wonderfully. Such an eventful day. Any gemstones at the falls? ;) Thank you very much for sharing

Great report mate. I did a lone 3 month road/fishing trip up there one year and would happily do double that if i ever get the chance, there is so much to see and do. Rugged but beautiful country and lots of local 'characters' that are becoming a dying breed down here in the south.

AtomRat said:
Gday Chris, what are great time you blokes had out there, and some rippa catches mate! Can I ask what the little toothy one is? Only barracuda I've caught was about 40 of the little guys aroubd 50cm swarming around cowes pier, so I nabbed yhem up for bait which never got used..I was probably 14 then. I know bugger all about fishing and wish I had some input. I'd love to get out on a boat one day and experience it all

It looks like you had perfect time, weather and scenery, and captured it all wonderfully. Such an eventful day. Any gemstones at the falls? ;) Thank you very much for sharing

Hi AtomRat
The big toothy critter in the pic is a barracuda Im thinking your referring to a fish called a Barracoota. Smaller but just as toothy as its bigger cousin. I do remember some of the boys picking them up down South off Willianstown many moons ago.
Cheers
ChrisM

Great write up Chris,
Looks like you and ya mates had a ball. Its beautiful country up north with some crazy fishing. Nice photos of some good fish. Those Treva's go hard.

Continuing on from that day after we left the falls we headed straight for the Tip of Australia for a few happy snaps. You just cant make a trip out that way and not go there. Absolutely amazing country guys its a must see place, again and again
1450352642_topendview.jpg

Four ugly mugs and an awsum backdrop
1450352727_topendsign.jpg

It was getting a bit late so we headed back to our accomodation for a few frothies and some tall tales. Looks like this little fella wanted to join in also
1450352936_greenfrog.jpg

One more day of fishing then back on the plane home
1450353038_lemonshark.jpg

This is one i havent seen before. Its either a butterfish, a Batfish or a buggered if I know fish. Still looked kind of interesting though
1450353196_butterfish.jpg

Thats the trip in a nutshell guys. And yes there are murmurs of a return trip next year. Hope you enjoyed it.... :) :)
Cheers
ChrisM