An accidental find???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
XIV was around home in Cairns this arvo, and we were talking about stories of gold finds that we have had or heard of personally.

I said that I had pictures on a HDD somewhere, that showed an absolute mass of gold, found deep underground.
Anyway. I hunted around, and found them!!
These photos didn't come from me, they were sent to me, from a mine where I once worked, when it was much shallower!!
Apparently, the drill cores where insane!!
Management went down straight away and rock bolted mesh across the seam!
Anyway, enjoy a couple of pix!!
1449140023_work_012.jpg

1449140023_work_013.jpg

1449140023_work_017.jpg

Thanks for that post..... I knew it, still some left for me!! (might need a new shovel or 4)

Obviously apart from the quartz, I am unsure what the host rock is. All the rock down there was black as, most with no visible gold.

Its got conchoidal fracture so its a silicate based host rock like obsidian or a basalt. Being black we would call it mafic. Has a slight marble look too though so it could possibly be near limestone too. Could be a slate or shale as well. Looks amazing though.. haha

casper said:
wonderful pics Simmo,

Are the pics public domain? cos with your approval I'd like to use one as wallpaper on my smart phone..

casper

They are now!!! No worries mate, go for it!

Wow.
Thanks for sharing.

Wouldn't it be nice to come along something like that on the leases.
Thanks for the beers and a chat.
Will have to catch up againg soon.

Simmo said:
Obviously apart from the quartz, I am unsure what the host rock is. All the rock down there was black as, most with no visible gold.
Where was it Simmo? Regional geology might id the host rock.
Jon

It looks to me to just be gold in a dark translucent quartz, in the first image you can see the streak of light dissipates the darkness as light moves into the specimen between each bit of embodied gold. ... but a nice pic ... would prefer to be taking the gold and not the pic.