spatch & Son's treasure hunting expeditions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Turns out the Father in Law has a el-cheapo detector (GC-1026)??? he was happy for us to borrow for a bit.
After a bit of testing how different coins come up in the vegie patch (and finding a rusty old nail) we were off down the local park. After an hour or so all we had were a few ring pulls and bottle tops, so we packed up shop and went in search of big treasure at the local beach!
10-15mins of detecting and two Corona lids later, EUREKA! We hit the big time with our first coin - a 5c piece :p
Then, BANG, a dodgy el-cheapo metal child's ring... :lol: The young bloke was temporarily hooked.

Packed up about 20mins later as that was all we had time for this time around. The young bloke hung in there for the most part but got a bit sick of it toward the end when the wind picked up and it started getting a bit chilly for him.

Our adventures will continue, and we're 5c closer to our own detector! :)

Hahaha great work mate :D beach is great for the kids to entertain themselves while we 'work'.

Some parks are a bit dull, but great fir practice and show you how to use the detector without having to worry about mess ( same as beach )

Got any photos of the finds you both scored?

Sounds like you went very well though. Does that detector have any knobs like discriminator or DISC

Here you go...

The parks treasures - including 2 rocks & a chunk of bitumen the boy is adamant are 'precious',
' green limestone' I think he called them.
1448786500_park-1.jpg

The beach... I think some of the ring pulls were actually from the park, but I was impressed with the old CUB ring pull!
1448786620_beach-1.jpg

The GC-1026... came with instructions... but who reads them!
1448786699_gc-1026.jpg

Looks Star Treckish hey ! :eek:
But at least it's working fine,.... lotsa pull tabs and stuff in between the good finds,... so at least you are in between them some where. :D
It's still all good, and still worth money,... you just need heaps of it is all. :lol:

Day 2 - Mornington Beach - A heap of stubbie lids & ring pulls. Found $1 in the first hour, then nothing but junk for 3hrs. Amazed at how much glass you find on the beach!
I then moved up to the park where I found a Fijian 10c, a zipper, and a 2 ring pulls, one tucked in under a gnarly old tree root I swore would be an old coin. :(

Best bit was, bumping into a bloke I did my apprenticeship with that I hadn't seen in 10yrs.

Pics later

hide something to (find) now and then to to make sad days more interesting for your son.. :)
spatch said:
Turns out the Father in Law has a el-cheapo detector (GC-1026)??? he was happy for us to borrow for a bit.
After a bit of testing how different coins come up in the vegie patch (and finding a rusty old nail) we were off down the local park. After an hour or so all we had were a few ring pulls and bottle tops, so we packed up shop and went in search of big treasure at the local beach!
10-15mins of detecting and two Corona lids later, EUREKA! We hit the big time with our first coin - a 5c piece :p
Then, BANG, a dodgy el-cheapo metal child's ring... :lol: The young bloke was temporarily hooked.

Packed up about 20mins later as that was all we had time for this time around. The young bloke hung in there for the most part but got a bit sick of it toward the end when the wind picked up and it started getting a bit chilly for him.

Our adventures will continue, and we're 5c closer to our own detector! :)

Heres yesterdays haul.

The scrap after the first hr - had to dump it, the old Leeds can was getting annoying.

1448948925_beach-2-scrap-1.jpg

Found a few of these rusty old bolts

1448949253_beach-2-bolt.jpg

The rest of the days junk

1448949293_beach-2-scrap-2.jpg

1448949340_beach-2-loot.jpg

And all for $1 and a Fijian 10c!

The bottle tops weren't all a waste of time, actually learnt something from the Carlton Draught Trivia!
How much beer does a Pony hold?

The tealight candle base was getting me a tad excited!
It was at the base of the stairs where people would put bags down before trudging up the steep hill.

The boy lost his groove this arvo, so was replaced by my daughter.

Luckily, my 2nd hand X-Terra 705 had arrived, so I could swing it while mini-spatchette swung the F'nL's GC-1026.
Starting at the playground she soon found a plasticcy earring that has a few metal bits - so her first target was jewellery!
After she'd found a few ring pulls, a nail staple, and a tent peg, and I'd stumbled across 10c & an AMF arcade game token, we decided to hit the beach.
Using the X-Terra on the beach was proving tricky, but after some tweaking using a bottle top and the 10c as targets I soon had it beeping solidly on the coin & crackling on the bottle top. After no true targets, we were about to head back to the playground when I spotted a drain outlet and thought, "lets give that a go". Within seconds I'd found my first ever $2 coin, followed closely by another!
We then tried one last spot by one of the swings and BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, another $3.10 in the kitty and about 10 kids watching, so we snuck off.
mini-spatchette went for a swing herself (on the swings), while I swung the MD beneath a few seats on the grass area. Two more nice solid Beeps returned 2 more ring pulls, but this was good retrieval practice using the slice and flick technique with my small shovel & the previously found tent-peg!
Then we went off to Macca's for a Happy meal - $7.00 later we were down to 20c credit, but the Daddy/daughter time was invaluable!

spatch out.

1450692432_21122015-1.jpg

1450692432_21122015-2.jpg

Getting amongst it all now ! :D
Two detectors = double the money,....once school starts again you'll have your hands full Spatch(ha). :lol:

Good stuff and free macca's, better machines definitely have an advantage with less time digging junk once you learn them, just have to walk over the target :cool:

AtomRat said:
Now your talking mate :D ill come have a swing with you soon mate! Love beach detecting. Have you gone to waters edge yet or sticking to dry for now. Jewellery too..hah!

Pretty much just dry. This beach gets raked and it had just been done by the looks of things. Missed all the leftovers from the hot weather beachgoers...

I love seeing someone start out....puts a smile on my dial.
I'm not always liking or commenting but I watch all the shooter threads.
The truth is (and I love gold prospecting) there's something about coin shooting that is just so satisfying, every 5c puts a smile on my face and a jingle in the pocket.
I've loved starting over and watching others getting in the swing, and watching so many fantastic finds come out. It's awesome you've got the kids involved going outdoors and spending time, that right there is priceless. Hopefully they catch the bug too.

Certainly beats kids sitting behind an Xbox or Playstation all day. Fresh air, exercise, quality time, and the thrill of the hunt with a possible reward for your efforts - all sounds good to me. :)

Took the family down the beach yesterday for a swing, adip and a hit of cricket.
Didn't get a lot of swinging done but ventured down to the wet sand for the first real crack.
First find of the day was half a key. Later I found another half key... what are half keys doing at the beach?

Nothing of value or much interest but learnt a bit more.

The Ford wheel centre might make it to the Mancave BUT being a Holden man it won't get a good spot ;)

1451783367_02-01-2016.jpg

Thought I'd share this toolbag I got from Bunnings too. Used it yesterday and if was so handy. The pockets hold all the junk easily and surprisingly securely. The tool holder holds my Masters shovel really well, the pinpointer is handy at all times, and the screwdriver loops would suit a probe tool well. A little pricey at $29, but I like it. (I had two bunnings gift cards that covered it!)

1451783367_bag-1.jpg

1451783367_bag-2.jpg

Nice set of colorful caps going on spatch , you'll be able to carry plenty of finds in that bag too, be able to sort them as you go. :D
ford thing made me laugh. :lol: