Basalt, small gold and SPP

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out in the field today in the GT in search for the elusive gold stuff. The SPP ran extremely smooth all day cranked up to near full gain, much more so set in low conductivity. Ground balance only required the odd tweak to stay on the money, only very fine adjustments were needed.

The mineralisation read about 83 on the Deus (which also ran pretty good), so far just the usual goldfields junk, lead, wire, shotgun/.22 shells, axe wedges etc for the SPP.

Off to a different area tomorrow, hopefully with some colour. :)

1443258773_img_20150926_184259.jpg

1443258810_img_20150926_184116.jpg

Interesting test results Pete, Personally i wouldn't off set the GB that much. But Hey, if it works for you in that location and it seemed to still detect well then that's Good. You sure that lump of basalt didn't have something inside it? I heard you had the Guru with you on the day as well. ;)

Goldpick, Best of luck tomorrow, i hope you snag a bit. :)

Yeah...I find that the GB has to be set fairly high, for example, around 9 & 10. But it seems to me the same Goblin that has put all the .22 shells, wire, ring-pulls and bottle tops has done the same thing up here in Qld. Go figure.

Hi Roscoe, I had never notice basalt in the past so when I found the first bit due to the signal I GB'd it out, when I though I saw another piece I reduced the GB by half notch to confirm and sure enough the next dozen or so pieces confirmed I could identify basalt in that particular area.
The spot we were at is pretty hot ground and varies from shallow surfaced areas to old tailings that are quite deep within a few meters of each other, it's a great spot for getting to know the detectors capabilities, reading the ground and having to tweak the adjustments to suit. I'd rather GB the basalt out at the risk of losing slight depth than to be getting false signals every few meters in that spot, the guru pulled a couple of nice nuggets from there a while back and is confident there's more to be found so that's good enough for me.

Yep, PP, I used your sage advice and did the Frequency thing and the GB thing and it worked brilliantly; so thanks for that. It has proved invaluable.

I've lost contact with a poster (who's name has escaped me, my sincere apologies) from whom I'm buying some DVDs. Will someone refresh my memory or will the poster PM me please.

Had some more SPP fun today, albeit minus any gold. The detector ran smooth from the moment I arrived till early evening without any noticeable emi issues, though really need to spend a good week here to learn the area properly, and to try out all three coils (never removed the 7x11).

More junk today,wire, miniscule boot tacks, lead, etc, though the other guys didn't find much either, just a few small pieces on their 5000's/4500's.

Probably my best find came from detecting over a deeply surfaced area, with a collapsed wall of one of the holes exposing an intact clay smoking pipe.

Whilst I wasn't expecting miracles first trip, not a bad reintroduction to detecting on the goldfields. Looking forward to next trip, hopefully for a bit longer next time. :)

1443350531_img_20150927_194030.jpg

1443350559_img_20150927_185225.jpg

Well done GP, Seems like you got it working well, you just need to get it over the right spot and then you can find a nugget like the ones we have seen this past couple of weeks,

I must admit they are about the nicest PI machine to use with that threshold, and they do have a good bit of power to go down very deep when the target is there,

Good luck mate.

I've been endeavouring to get out every day now. I can't believe how hard it is. Ouch! I came back in today feeling like I'd been laying concrete. This is really making me focus on serious gold-bearing country and not just wishing and praying that I get into the right place.

I had to have two cold beers.

Thanks for posting Goldpick, I am sure that if you put the time in you will come up with a nugget or two with that SPP. As you get dialed into that machine you will start to get smaller and smaller targets.

That clay pipe is a beauty mate. :)

I am going out for a over nighter this weekend myself. Looking forward to get out there in the goldfields.

SunriseBoy said:
I've been endeavouring to get out every day now. I can't believe how hard it is. Ouch! I came back in today feeling like I'd been laying concrete. This is really making me focus on serious gold-bearing country and not just wishing and praying that I get into the right place.

Yep I get like that after only a few hours which is why I originally went with the Whites (lighter) and recently purchased the Pro Swing 45 harness to help but I haven't tried the harness yet.
Cold beers help lift the spirits and loosen the muscles with every break (2-3 hours) but I find it doesn't help much with the concentration as the day rolls on :lol:

ProspectorPete said:
SunriseBoy said:

Yep I get like that after only a few hours which is why I originally went with the Whites (lighter) and recently purchased the Pro Swing 45 harness to help but I haven't tried the harness yet.
Cold beers help lift the spirits and loosen the muscles with every break (2-3 hours) but I find it doesn't help much with the concentration as the day rolls on :lol:

The tone on the spp wasn't to my likening in the beginning so had to take short breaks after no more than 1 hour to prevent audio fatigue with headphones, but as I spent more time on the spp I found that switching into low (conductivity switch fitted) and advancing the ground balance a bee's hair from true ground balance (no more than a bees hair or you start to loose depth on small gold) I could wind the threshold back to nearly inaudible without any real loss in depth. Set up as described it is a deadly machine on very small targets if using a folded mono coil (even the bigger ones) and really only needs a tiny bit more threshold added if using the 12inch factory coil on deeper ground for .5+gram size targets.

If you haven't used a folded 8 mono coil on a whites tdi (7x11 is my favourite all rounder) then you haven't seen or heard how good the whites tdi's really are (without a folded mono I consider the spp Only marginally sensitive) I cannot recommend them highly enough as they really make the spp shine and push them right up very close to any machine on smaller shallow gold in very hot ground. 8)

Regards Daryl

Just read right through this thread again, pretty sure I read it a while back but now after using the SPP more & learning more about it I'm starting to understand how things work better.
I must say though that the help from other forum member here has been absolutely brilliant & this thread has some great info that I can now understand much better than I previously had before, all due too all the top blokes here being willing to take the time to help others.
So thankyou all its very much appreciated thats for sure.
Would be great to meet a few forum members & get out with the Whites detectors for a swing one day.

ozziii said:
Just read right through this thread again, pretty sure I read it a while back but now after using the SPP more & learning more about it I'm starting to understand how things work better.
I must say though that the help from other forum member here has been absolutely brilliant & this thread has some great info that I can now understand much better than I previously had before, all due too all the top blokes here being willing to take the time to help others.
So thankyou all its very much appreciated thats for sure.
Would be great to meet a few forum members & get out with the Whites detectors for a swing one day.

Well we all pick up on different little tricks and if we share them it gives us all something to try when we run out of our own Ideas, And A Problem shared is a problem halved, Aye.

Good luck,, John

Latest posts