Whites TDI - Dead or Alive?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is Adding Taxes and then Adding them again And Another thing He is only getting the Batteries made in OZ because he makes more money, Because The Laws on Shipping have changed on the Shipping of these Batteries which is why I was Allowed to Order One and The Battery Contact have to be insulated to Avoid Sparking/Shorting out and they are Shipped from the US with a Closed Cell Foam/Plastic Shield covering the Battery Plug, As mine was Shipped with and Whites Confirmed the shipping Laws regarding the Batteries to me, So I know for a fact that the Laws regarding these Batteries have been Relaxed,

So why Is GS the Only company in the World to Suffer from such Price increases, Judging by his rude Answer I would say he is Lying,

OK Lets Start Again and give him the benefit of the Doubt, So why is the MXT 5-600 dollars dearer and it does not have a lithium battery, Nor dose the GMT or the V3i yet his prices are still over inflated in excess of 5 to 600 dollars, so what are his excuses for these machines costing an arm and a Leg

An $650 dollar price rise is BS that is a 25% price rise and the Only place in the Whole World it is happening is In His Shop.

Again I suggest that people buy from Over Seas and if they want me to help out I will.

SunriseBoy ask him why he has put the prices up on the MXT, and the GMT and the V3i, because they don't have Lithium Batteries, Lol

Cheers,

Just priced a tdi pro in the us, $2171 aust dollars, plus postage.
Don, t know how much postage and insurance would be. Also not sure how different oz pro is from standard pro.
I am very tempted to buy one though.

davent said:
Don, t know how much postage and insurance would be. Also not sure how different oz pro is from standard pro.

That's a Fantastic price that's Better aye, I think if you paid $150 dollars you will still be saving $1000.00, I'd say Go for it.

The only difference is the Stickers and the OZ pro has a Mono Coil where as mine Came with the Duel Field Mono so just buy an MJ coil which most folks do anyway and you are Set, other than that there is no Difference, Cool

J

Ridge Runner said:
davent said:

That's a Fantastic price that's Better aye, I think if you paid $150 dollars you will still be saving $1000.00, I'd say Go for it.

$150 for shipping, insurance PLUS the import duty on goods over $1000?

Seems like a very low estimate to me...

Plus another thing to bear in mind if buying a unit from overseas is warranty. Even if the dealer in the US honours the warranty if it's been sent to Australia, how much are you going to have to pay to ship it back to the U.S. if something goes wrong with it?

Nuggetbuster said:
Ridge Runner said:
davent said:

$150 for shipping, insurance PLUS the import duty on goods over $1000?

Seems like a very low estimate to me...

I meant just for shipping but you are right, If they charge about 10% on top that would still be a saving of around $700 I think ?? I wonder what GoldPick paid for the Duty on his Deus that would give you some Idea how the land lies, Aye.

Bottom line is people can get these machine cheaper else where and that is more sales GS will loose, even saving 300 bucks is not to be sneezed at, Aye.

I have a retail background, and I NEVER give warrenty a 2nd thought. As far as I know, warrenty is just something retailers use to give the product confidence.
retail warrenty only covers manufacturers faults, if you send your faulty product to them, with a life time warrenty, and they say, hang on it worked fine for 2 and a half yearss, its obviously not a manufacturers fault, it s wear and tear, we will fix it, but its gunna cost......this is the why manufacturers do this. I learned this when I bought a PENN game fishing reel in the 1990, s I put 1000m of fishing line on it, it was brand new item that I paid 800 bucks for in about 1992, pointed out that it had a lumpy drag and took it back, they then took my unused reel off me and sent it to The PENN distributor in Australia who said there was nothing wrong with it. From the time I bought it to the time I got it back was over 3 months, and I had to fix the thing myself anyway! Warrnety is no incentive for my purchaces what so ever, I never factor it in.

Having said that, and found a good price for a tdi, im still thinking mine lab. There is a distributor here in darwin, and one garrett retailer, nothing else I can find, so atm, im tossing up over an sdc and an atx. The sdc seems to be the big winner up here.
Tdi a better unit,?

davent said:
I have a retail background, and I NEVER give warrenty a 2nd thought. As far as I know, warrenty is just something retailers use to give the product confidence.
retail warrenty only covers manufacturers faults, if you send your faulty product to them, with a life time warrenty, and they say, hang on it worked fine for 2 and a half yearss, its obviously not a manufacturers fault, it s wear and tear, we will fix it, but its gunna cost......this is the why manufacturers do this. I learned this when I bought a PENN game fishing reel in the 1990, s I put 1000m of fishing line on it, it was brand new item that I paid 800 bucks for in about 1992, pointed out that it had a lumpy drag and took it back, they then took my unused reel off me and sent it to The PENN distributor in Australia who said there was nothing wrong with it. From the time I bought it to the time I got it back was over 3 months, and I had to fix the thing myself anyway! Warrnety is no incentive for my purchaces what so ever, I never factor it in.

Heres the funny part I asked Whites If I take my detectors back to OZ with me am I still covered by warranty and they said Yes, The thing is Some prospectors travel all over the world with their detectors So they have to cover the Warranty where ever that machine travels, And All It would take is One phone call and Whites US would hit the Roof so don't worry about that Because Whites will stand by you,

davent said:
Having said that, and found a good price for a tdi, im still thinking mine lab. There is a distributor here in darwin, and one garrett retailer, nothing else I can find, so atm, im tossing up over an sdc and an atx. The sdc seems to be the big winner up here.
Tdi a better unit,?

Well If you want Depth I would go with the TDI and if you want to find Tiny Shallow Gold then go with the SDC, and the ATX is a combination of the Two machines

With the TDI you can do a lot more and have the Choice of over 100 coils to fit it.

All Three are excellent machines, for shear power I would go with the TDI and then the ATX but if I was only going for Tiny bread and Butter Gold then I might be swayed by the SDC, But remember Both the ATX and the SDC are Factory converted Mine Clearance machines and there is nothing wrong with that and all 3 will find Gold

TDI Pro = over 100 coils, the ATX has 3 and the SDC has 1, So don't buy what others think buy the one that suits your needs, Like I said All 3 are first class machines.

Those hikes aren't good, may have something to do with supply/demand, or maybe to help boost SL sales, who knows, though a $700 increase on the SPP over the last year is pretty hard to swallow.

The TRX has also been bumped to $250, in line with the Garrett AT Propointer, though nothing has physically changed on the TRX other than its water proof rating.

Can't be the Oz dollar at fault, Garrett Detectors have increased their pricing a bit, though Fisher/Teknetics detector pricing has changed very little over the last year, with some detectors actually being sold a bit cheaper under the new distributor/dealer arrangement.

Import duties were around $330 from France for the Deus, though I didn't pay a cent due to issues with the Oz distributor on the purchase. ;)

Goldpick said:
Those hikes aren't good, may have something to do with supply/demand, or maybe to help boost SL sales, who knows, though a $700 increase on the SPP over the last year is pretty hard to swallow.

The TRX has also been bumped to $250, in line with the Garrett AT Propointer, though nothing has physically changed on the TRX other than its water proof rating.

Can't be the Oz dollar at fault, Garrett Detectors have increased their pricing a bit, though Fisher/Teknetics detector pricing has changed very little over the last year, with some detectors actually being sold a bit cheaper under the new distributor/dealer arrangement.

Import duties were around $330 from France for the Deus, though I didn't pay a cent due to issues with the Oz distributor on the purchase. ;)

I think you are right about the price hike, The thing with machines like the Deus and the Whites is they get people doing great things on an affordable budget and that is a good thing, Detecting is not about the brand it is about the company and the memories shared with loved ones and the finds, But most of all getting out there recharging your own batteries to get you through the stress from ya day job and enjoying life,

Over here I pay close to Whites List Price but in OZ people are now being asked to pay an excess on the SL $680.28 and on the MXT $481.00 and on the TDI Pro $794.04 compared to what I pay, and as we have seen here people can get a better price and still save up to 7-800 dollars,

Because that TRX is fairly new on the market we get stuffed here To, On the older whites Bullseye II, I paid 45.00 which is $96.45 AUD and I prefer it to the newer model because it has A frequency of 36khz so it sees smaller bits and also it does not up set my VLF and it is a third of the price of the TRX which is Cool,

john

Sure is a tough game this importing and reselling business and the fluctuations in the us dollar have hugely impacted on small business. I can tell you just one of my businesses we have 4 software as a service licenses which are us subscriptions $99 each. When we started them they would cost me about $84 now they cost me iver $600 for the same service.

I purchase goods out of china as well. A small box around a 5kg box cost me about $80 to get here.

In gs situation imagine hes paying $2000 aud per piece.

So he buys 10 = $20000 cost
Add duty and gst =$23000
Add freight
Min $1500
Total investment $24500
Now assume the bloke wants to make 30% return on his money.. very reasonable expectation.
So we have a price of $3185 but it doesnt stop there he has to collect gst from the consumer. Gov says so.
So we add gst $3503

Now you're starting to get the picture of how hard it is to be in retail in Australia.

These are all based on his assuming hid buy price but you can see how costs blow out. And it may take him 8 months to see that return on investment.

Peter at gold search is not a millionaire hes a hard working do it tuff but keep the doors open kind of bloke. If you knew him like so many of us do youd know dean and peter go way above and beyond to help out prospectors and if you want retail business like these guys to be open when you want to touch and feel a detector then they need to make a buck. Otherwise they will close down like so many before them and everyone can buy online. And remember the website wobt help you when you need it,they wont show you how to set it up and they wont service the thing for you. If Peter goes theres no service agent in Australia and all whites components will have to be frieghted to the us for repair.

By all means save a buck and buy direct but dont knock the bloke who has to pay rent so you can walk in and touch the product.

G0lddigg@ said:
Sure is a tough game this importing and reselli and business and the fluctuations in the us dollar have hugely inpacted on small business. I can tell you just one of my businesses we have 4 software as a service licenses which are us subscriptions $99 each. When we started them they would cost me about $84 now they cost me iver $600 for the same service.

I purchase goods out of china as well. A small box around a 5kg box cost me about $80 to get here.

Add duty and gst =$23000
Add freight
Min $1500
Total investment $24500
Now assume the bloke wants to make 30% return on his money.. very reasonable expectation.
So we have a price of $3185 but it doesnt stop there he has to collect gst from the consumer. Gov says so.
So we add gst $3503

Now you're starting to get the picture of how hard it is to be in retail in Australia.

These are all based on his assuming hid buy price but you can see how costs blow out. And it may take him 8 months to see that return on investment.

Peter at gold search is not a millionaire hes a hard working do it tuff but keep the doors open kind of bloke. If you knew him like so many of us do youd know dean and peter go way above and beyond to help out prospectors and if you want retail business like these guys to be open when you want to touch and feel a detector then they need to make a buck. Otherwise they will close down like so many before them and everyone can buy online. And remember the website wobt help you when you need it,they wont show you how to set it up and they wont service the thing for you. If Peter goes theres no service agent in Australia and all whites components will have to be frieghted to the us for repair.

By all means save a buck and buy direct but dont knock the bloke who has to pay rent so you can walk in and touch the product.

I agree with a lot of what you say, But the Dollar has been +/- 2cents for the past 4 months and the price has not Altered around the world and for them to jump the price to this is just wrong, what would people say if ML did the same with the ZED and added 25% = like 2700 to the cost being 13400 people would go nuts.

I am all for people making a profit but when they are the only company doing this It is wrong, and to do that right around the time when minelab released the 4500 is just cutting their own throats because if people are dead serious about finding Gold then at these prices they are going to Buy the 4500 or an SDC or ATX.

The thing that makes the Pro Special is it can do other things as well as being good at prospecting so the $2650 price point made it the most sensible choice, But at $3300 if Gold Is the Primary Target then the 4500 is going to fly out the door.

They are most likely paying between $1200 to $1500 USD per Unit plus duty and freight.

Nuggetbuster said:
Breath of fresh air in this thread, Golddigg@

Not Really,, 1st off GS tell people that the Pro is being dropped from the whites line up When its not just to con people in to buying from them and 2nd they then try to rip people off, There is nothing Ethical about Dean, No one has a gun to his head saying he has to be a Whites dealer and if he is having trouble then that's what you get when you try and take on ML in their own back yard,

Like other Dealers and Importers they take part in what goes on here, I have not seen one post by GS, I would of thought that this place would have been a priority to them and maybe they would have sold a lot more machines and not have to fleece people just to survive,

To me it would make more sense to be part of this place because it would give them a direct link with people with money to spend.

Ridge Runner said:
G0lddigg@ said:
Sure is a tough game this importing and reselli and business and the fluctuations in the us dollar have hugely inpacted on small business. I can tell you just one of my businesses we have 4 software as a service licenses which are us subscriptions $99 each. When we started them they would cost me about $84 now they cost me iver $600 for the same service.

Add duty and gst =$23000
Add freight
Min $1500
Total investment $24500
So we add gst $3503

I agree with a lot of what you say, But the Dollar has been +/- 2cents for the past 4 months and the price has not Altered around the world and for them to jump the price to this is just wrong, what would people say if ML did the same with the ZED and added 25% = like 2700 to the cost being 13400 people would go nuts.

I am all for people making a profit but when they are the only company doing this It is wrong, and to do that right around the time when minelab released the 4500 is just cutting their own throats because if people are dead serious about finding Gold then at these prices they are going to Buy the 4500 or an SDC or ATX.

The thing that makes the Pro Special is it can do other things as well as being good at prospecting so the $2605 price point made it the most sensible choice, But if Gold Is the Primary Target then the 4500 is going to fly out the door.

They are most likely paying between $1200 to $1500 USD per Unit plus duty and freight.

mate they dont set the world economy by any means these guys are just trying to keep their head above water, how many people do you think drive through dunnolly every day to buy stuff of them? you cant lump dead country town retail and online ex Melbourne ex USA in the same boat.

But the Dollar has been +/- 2cents for the past 4 months and the price has not Altered around the world and for them to jump the price to this is just wrong
Thats really got no relevance here, Peter most likely ordered the stock he had yonks ago was able to hold the price on what he had or balanced the losses by spreading the margin over new and old stock at some point the scales have to tip. add to that the steam has run out of the TDI so he has to make a decision on whats best for the business or shut up shop or do what everyone else is doing...boring...../

what would people say if ML did the same with the ZED and added 25% = like 2700 to the cost being 13400 people would go nuts.
Its doesn't work that way minelab is an aussie brand whites is not the scales are on the other side and we lose period. i'm not sure that you are getting the picture here, around the 2nd of july last year the same time retailers are implementing their tax reduction strategies the AUD/USD was peaking at around 0.943, around the 6th September it plunged to around 0.86 by the end of September. it continued to slip down to around 0.75 until April when we saw a recovery through may false sense of security before another plunge, i remember it well i made quite a bit in the short term money market becasue the rises were toy and falls substantial it only had to move 0.0001 of a cent to make $100 on a pip.

Did you pat them on the back and say geez guys you are really doing a great job holding the Australian whites prices with all this volatility? no .
so while you say 2 cents... your way off, we are talking about 26 cents on the dollar here plus duty plug gst plus must make margins.
we are talking about over $7000 difference just on what he would pay for 10 detectors 12 months ago without GST and Duty.

I am all for people making a profit but when they are the only company doing this It is wrong
they are the only australian whites dealer buying out of the us period so noone else is in their shoes.

I tell you what how about you give me $24000 and I'll give you $600 pm in return for your investment over the next 12 months..... and i'll email you and ask you 100 questions and never buy anything...thats what these guys do all day for us prospectors.... its not unfair mate they have to make a buck or they go broke. if they dont they dont exist and then who would you contact for your info? for help? who do you go to when you want to look and touch a product?

Ridge Runner said:
Nuggetbuster said:

Not Really,, 1st off GS tell people that the Pro is being dropped from the whites line up When its not just to con people in to buying from them and 2nd they then try to rip people off, There is nothing Ethical about Dean, No one has a gun to his head saying he has to be a Whites dealer and if he is having trouble then that's what you get when you try and take on ML in their own back yard,

Like other Dealers and Importers they take part in what goes on here, I have not seen one post by GS, I would of thought that this place would have been a priority to them and maybe they would have sold a lot more machines and not have to fleece people just to survive,

To me it would make more sense to be part of this place because it would give them a direct link with people with money to spend.

You are making alot of opinionated accusations here RR, I dont think you have the right to say who should be here and how people should run their business .
They have been here since 2007 and they do support minelab as well. For your information Dean has chimed in on the forum when needed in fact i used to swing a GMT dean replaced my coil under warranty even thought the detector i bought turned out to be an illegal import.... unethical? i think you are one person with his knickers in a knot there's plenty of happy customers here who have received great service.

Having been self employed since 86 I understand the pit falls of managing the books,

Looking at it from another prospective they do not only sell one detector per month, they sell other products too, As Ozzii point out that they charged someone $345.00 for a Coil that Brian sells for $219.00 which is another Item with a 50% increase, There is a pattern forming with these people, If Brian can do it why cant Dean, All I am saying is if they were more like everyone else they would sell a lot more Products and people would not be buying things from over seas and if they came here too, That in it's self would Boost sales, but when I asked that question I got told that they were not interested In this place, So if sales are down then they only have them selves to Blame, Because no one can take on minelab in their own back yard and win, So being here Could have been their ACE card and in the past few months about half a dozen machines have been sales that they have lost.

I don't care, But one thing for sure there is no way will I help promote them as a company if this is how they do Business,

Did anyone put a gun to that blokes head when he sold the coil? No

Do i have to pay $51 a kg for my ground coffee when i can get it from Aldi for $20 no but i choose to because i support a local ballart business who takes the time to roast hes own blends.

How do you know anything about brians buy price vs deans?

G0lddigg@ said:
Ridge Runner said:
Nuggetbuster said:

You are making alot of opinionated accusations here RR, I dont think you have the right to say who should be here and how people should run their business .
They have been here since 2007 and they do support minelab as well. For your information Dean has chimed in on the forum when needed in fact i used to swing a GMT dean replaced my coil under warranty even thought the detector i bought turned out to be an illegal import.... unethical? i think you are one person with his knickers in a knot there's plenty of happy customers here who have received great service.

Are they Over charging people ? = Yes

Did they Lie about Whites Saying they were Going to stop Making the TDI Pro ? = Yes

That's Two out of Two, That is not opinionated Accusations At All they are Facts.

I am not saying who should be here or not, I said it would be in their best interest in terms of sales if they were here, I don't give a hoot if they are here or not,

And the rest of you post I don't understand because I was sure this forum is only about 2 and a half years old and Tony use to Own GS until 2012 so I don't understand how they could of been here since 2007 ??,

Anyway the maths don't add up and I really don't care about them, People not getting stung is more the issue.