Natural Copper

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IND59

Ian
Reaction score
I was crushing some Quartz the other day and got this
1447497865_image.jpg

I think it's natural copper is this possible. The quartz was from Wattle flats area

Hey IND59, is it possible for you to share as much info as you can about how you found this, as in what sort of quartz, was green visible anywhere in the quartz or rock? Its a metal I'm yet to source out and know its in my area. Any help is highly appreciated

We don't see many native copper finds here..congrats mate :)

Green like this:
1447540206_14475400605780.jpg

Still not sure it is copper, did the magnet test and two pieces were attracted but only by the black scale not by what appears to be copper. When i tried to pick it up from the copper side it will flip over to the black side every time. I then gave one of them a bath in white vinegar it is still attracted to the magnet but only by one edge.

1447557265_img_3381_3natural_copper_cleaned.jpg

Above photo is after the plunge in the vinegar

1447557265_img_4536natural_copper_close_up.jpg

1447556072_img_4537natural_copper.jpg

I collected the Quartz from Sofala NSW (Turon river) and Wattle Flat (Mates back yard). The quartz had a lot of red in it and seams of black. I have been told that Black in the quartz is what the old timers looked for. I don't have any left and I am starting to think it may have been something in the dolly pot due to the magnet test. So back to my original question can you find copper in Quartz?

Sorry I didn't see the question, the answer is yes copper can be in quartz but I'm not positive it the copper comes up with quartz solutions though
In the vinegar it looks exactly like copper to me mate as the oxidised layer was eaten off the the acid vinegar. Some copper doesn't look like copper and almost seems like a slag. To test it, if you have a little torch, try burning it in the dark to get a green glame mabey. Copper isn't magnetic..I'm not sure if you knew that and I've read it wrong. The magnetic side is an iron

Knew that ferrous and non ferrous metals, thanks for the interest AtomRat. I will defiantly be collecting more and crushing it with due diligence.

Latest posts