The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip book by Larry Sallee - GMT/Goldmaster

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
Hi guys, I noticed there is an ebay listing for this sought after book in the US, it has valuable info on gain/SAT settings specifically for the GMT and Goldmaster series of detectors. It is currently out of print and extremely hard to find, hence it often achieves rediculous prices up to and over $250US. The seller of this original copy had it listed for US only, but I persuaded him to sell overseas, needless to say, I can't afford it anymore due to recent detector purchases, but if anyone is interested, here's the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Complet...978?pt=US_Metal_Detectors&hash=item5af9f2499a

Sorry David it was a US posting not AUD posting. I am not allowed to post links for some reaon or I would have given you the link. Can you shot me an email? I'll send you my copy to read.

gedanate said:
Thank you. That is very generous. :)
I have just sent you a message.

David

No worries David but yah its ridiculous how much the book cost these days. On the other hand if it helps you find a gold nugget or two that you normally would have found then it could be worth it. Anyway Ill you be able to see my copy of the book soon.

Far out, I had that book when I was running a V/sat. It was good, but really I worked most if it out in the field.

Seems like the book is worth more than the actual detectors!!

PhaseTech said:
Far out, I had that book when I was running a V/sat. It was good, but really I worked most if it out in the field.

Seems like the book is worth more than the actual detectors!!

"This book really is the "bible" of all metal detecting books"

Is it really that good? :eek:

Only one on ebay atm at $160 or make a offer is tempting, unless of course a member here has one for sale cheaper? :p
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zip-Zip-...698190?hash=item1a140f528e:g:7wwAAOSwixtXQsLs

If you are anyone serious about gold prospecting with a metal detector than you really should look no farther than Larry Sallee's The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip. This book really is the "bible" of all metal detecting books and is two books in 1. It is true that the book does focus much of its use and knowledge around the Whites models and in particulary the Whites Goldmaster models and even more specifically the GMT model with the super nice autotrack and auto ground balance features. This is because in my opinion that detector is probably among the best in the world especially for the price. This book is out of print and extremely hard to find. When you do find it expect to pay anywhere from 150-300 dollars. If you find a few spares online for 100 bucks or less let me know because I will buy all of them up right now. What makes this book so great is the actual detail that the author goes into about cross screening, ground balancing, slight variations in ground and massive time spent on coil control. This book is not like the hundreds of others out there that are 200 pages long and the first 170 of them are about how some guy and his wife were introduced into metal detecting back in the late 70's and how they just fell in love with all the culture and other aspects. It is real technical knowledge with graphs, skethces, measurments, coil desricptions and everything. He goes into exact settings for the detector for particular soil conditions and how to hunt exactly within those conditions. There is a large chapter on mental focus that goes beyond sleeping good and eating your Wheaties everyday. What I am saying is that there is no book on the market for the raw gold hunter using a metal detector that is better--absolutely no way. I don't think anyone who knows anything would argue this either.

JakeofallTrades said:
"This book really is the "bible" of all metal detecting books"
Is it really that good? :eek:

Only one on ebay atm at $160 or make a offer is tempting, unless of course a member here has one for sale cheaper? :p
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Zip-Zip-...698190?hash=item1a140f528e:g:7wwAAOSwixtXQsLs
Here's some background, before you reach for your credit card/Paypal: ;)

Larry Sallee wrote two books, of which the one on eBay, Zip Zip - The Advanced Course, is the second. His first was Zip Zip - Mastering Your Nugget Detector (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1464301172&sr=8-1).

The much scarcer/pricier book discussed above, The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip, is a compendium of those two:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0965458423/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all
(It's interesting to see Jimmy Sierra selling his personal copy, autographed by the author!)
There's a detailed review here: http://www.amazon.com/product-revie...fferlistingpage_text?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Ok, I'm in Melbourne and have copies of The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip by Larry Sallee, as well as Zip Zip The Advanced Course. Pain in the bum to do a pdf copy, I'll look into it. Leave a close family member as hostage and I might let you borrow a copy.. just might..
The books go into technique, settings, mindset and other aspects in depth. For GMT users it's the bible. I use an MXT and find it relevant as would any VLF or even PI gold prospector.
1484551423_zip_zip_books.jpg

Crazy expensive for a book that originally retailed for US $24.99... and worse still very hard to find and then the good ol' boys in the USA don't like to post to Australia.. very frustrating. I feel your pain, I was there until I got lucky.

I'll have a go at scanning the book and converting into a book pdf format.. no promises but willing to have a go at it.

Just to give people an idea of what we are talking about in regards to The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip by Larry Sallee, the edition with everything..
I've got some images of the index, should be insightful. Not given up on a PDF copy.
1484618274_zipzip_p1.jpg
1484618291_zipzip_p2.jpg
1484618305_zipzip_p3.jpg
1484618321_zipzip_p4.jpg
1484618336_zipzip_p5.jpg

Hope this all proves helpful.

Bit of a catch 22, the book is out of print though most likely still covered by copyright laws. Last I heard Larry Sallee didn't want to print any new editions, nor had expressed any interest on selling the copyright to any others for reprint. If you are going to scan the whole book to PDF, best to keep it to yourself, or use the PM service for any further discussions.

Unfortuantely we cannot promote the copying of literature held under copyright on this forum, I know it is a pain, though so are lawsuits. ;)