Detech Coil information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually came from the Dandenong area. I was able to get a transfer to Bris. in 1994. I might get to Vic. every 5 yrs or so.
See how we go.
Cheers

Hi Guys

Just a quick note to let you know after successfully testing our new 14" Ultra Sensing Mono
and te Detech Patent 15" Ultimate Spiral DD both coils are 100 % Waterproof

these coils are now released to the market and will be soon listed on our site

Both of these coils are Spiral Wound, super sensitive Mono and the 15" Ultimate DD
The 15" Ultimate punches extremely deep with the stability of DD

Over the same 13 oz target depth was increased by 100 -150 mm over the 18 Round DD.

this coil will run in DD and Fine Gold and see .05 @ around 30-40 mm so extremely sensitive for a DD of this size but still has outstanding depth.

Regards Pete

Hi guys,

I've done a bit of testing on the DD Spiral coil, and had my first swing session with it on friday.

I first did a range of tests on a selection of nuggets, comparing timings in Mono and DoubleD modes to get a feel for the coils capability.
All-round for depth and sensitivity, the best combo was Double D and Sens Extra. DD/Normal was better on a 28 grammer. Mono / Fine Gold had a slight edge over Sens Extra/DD on bits under half a gram, so this would be best utilised in hot ground. Mono/Fine Gold also fared better on a 1.8 g porous bit (found with a GPZ), but wasn't as deep on a 5g specie in ironstone. I later tried this combo on a couple of hot clay runs and it purred like a kitten.

I went for a detect in some hot variable ground, and played around with various settings. Got it to run very nicely on Double D, Sens Extra, Tracking (slow), Rx Gain 11 , Stabilizer 11, Slow Motion. It was nice being able to try different Coil/Rx and timing combos again. Running in Sens Extra, DD and Slow Track, with Slow motion sort of made it feel a little like the GPZ with it's big Super D coil.

EMI handling was somewhere between what you'd get with an 11" DD (very stable) to a mid-size mono. Double-D coils have always been good at this, and with the bad emi activity we've been having lately in the Adelaide Hills it was good to be able to cut some of it out.

Won't get out again till later this week, so I'll report more when I get more time on it.

Other general things to note:

1. All coils use litz wire
2. They are fully waterproof
3. the skidplates fit very snug, no need for coil tape, so you can clean them out regularly
4. The coils are white, so you won't have any heat related issues
5. No touch sensitivity/falsing

After spending a bit of time with a selection of Detech coils in SA and Vic (thanks StinkyPete for the opportunity), I think they bring something new to the market,
and represent good value for money, and as a result I have put my hand up to be an agent for Detech here in S.A.

So if you're interested in buying one, you can go through StinkyPete in Vic, or me here in Adelaide.

Hey Nenad,

Congrats on the distribution deal and I know you will do well as the coils are indeed a great product and very well priced. I actually picked up a 15" spiral [Good to meet you Pete] on the weekend and spent Sunday getting used to the coil. I must say so far I have found it to be very stable and sensitive and I am happy with it, actually picked up a .04 with it about 1 inch down so I was impressed. Will post further findings as I get to know it better. The area I was in I found running DD/Normal/ Gain 9/ Stab 8 was very stable.

RGds

Mark

Does anyone reckon it's worth using a mono anymore? As this new Detech coil seems to be about the most versatile coil you could want for a GPX, you can use pretty much any timing and all 3 RX settings and if it gets nugs down to 0.04 what's the point of using a mono unless you need to use the rim of a coil? From the vids that StinkyPete posted I can't really think of a good reason to actually use a mono anymore. The DD will run stable on hot ground, will eat EMI for breakfast and you can use discrimination if needed, is there a negative aspect of using this coil??? I can't think of any negative aspects.

Any and all thoughts on the subject would be interesting?

Hey Heatho,

One negative I can think of is space required to swing the 15" coil, this is the reason I also use a NF 12x7 which is awesome for poking around mullock heaps and were the undergrowth is heavy. That's my bag of coils (2) in total.

Thanks for the comments guys. Good questions Heatho, interested to hear what people think.
I haven't spent a lot of time with the DD for fear of missing the smaller stuff which seems to be the majority of what's left in the ground and as such forget that the DD is an option but lately have been having so much trouble with ground noise that I end up cutting the day short through frustration. If these new DD's can solve some of that and still pick up the small stuff then that equals more time on the ground and hopefully more finds.

In theory a monoloop coil will go deeper than an equivalent size DD because the transmit winding is wider in diameter, but it all comes down to what settings you can run, and what targets you are after. Also what machine you have dictates what settings or timing options you might have at your disposal. The 15" DD spiral may just be the best thing to have come out for GP series users for a long time, as the focus has been on monoloop coils for a long time, which older machines without any "smooth" timings options haven't been able to use except in much milder soils.

PhaseTech said:
In theory a monoloop coil will go deeper than an equivalent size DD because the transmit winding is wider in diameter, but it all comes down to what settings you can run, and what targets you are after. Also what machine you have dictates what settings or timing options you might have at your disposal. The 15" DD spiral may just be the best thing to have come out for GP series users for a long time, as the focus has been on monoloop coils for a long time, which older machines without any "smooth" timings options haven't been able to use except in much milder soils.

I'm with you there Nenad in regard to GP series.

I'm mainly thinking GPX series though, I'm really keen to get one of the new Nugget finder 12" Evolutions and I'm seriously thinking about a Spiral 15" DD Detech now too for noisier ground but I'm wondering if the Detech DD will cover all bases I suppose? Probably wishfull thinking on my part though and I guess both coils will have their merrits for different ground and timings. The Detech site says that the Spral DD can run with Fine/Gold which other DD's could not do too well in the past set to DD Rx which sort of gives me the idea that it's a Swiss Army knife type coil, except in tight swinging conditions of course.

0.04g with a DD is down in SDC territory, I'm seriously not even interested in nugs that small but it's nice to know that a DD can now ping such small pieces.

Yes the 15" DD works in all timings in DD or Mono modes so you can use it anywhere.

From the testing I have done so far it is perhaps the most versatile coil currently available but the size and weight are the limiting factors. At 1.3 kg it isn't light, so can't see too many people using it as as patch coil, more of a patch cleaning coil, or for use on really bad ground or bad emi days etc.

If the GPX was still my primary machine, the 15x10" mono would be my primary patch coil to replace my old favourite 15x12 commander. It'll do everything the commander will but is more sensitive and about 300 grams lighter! I used it in vic during a night session behind camp and pinged a small bit in red clay at very good depth after about 30 mins, so I know it's a very capable coil. For an open web coil it is also very immune to bump noise (it will if you hit it hard enough).

For anyone who has resisted the urge to get one of the newer style monos, the detech 14" Ultimate mono is worth a look in. About $55 cheaper than its nearest competitor, and performance wise they are pretty neck n neck, with the Detech being fully waterproof.

For anyone in Adelaide, I may have a demo coil or two you can try out, no obligation.

Nenad

Latest posts