Whites SPP Upgrading Batteries?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozziii said:
Pulled apart an old computer battery (laptop) on the weekend, got 6x 18650 batteries from it. On the battery pack it said 11.1v, 4000mAh, so whats the best way of working out the mAh rating of each battery. The multi metre I have is just a cheap crappy one & doesn't have a way to tell what the mAh rating is, not even sure if any multi metre's can but then I don't know much about them so maybe some can.

Because the voltage is close to half of the total voltage of the 6x 18650 (6x 3.7v = 23.1v) batteries would that make the mAh rating of each battery around half of the total mAh output, so maybe 2000mAh for each battery.
If I can't end up making a battery pack for the detector to use them then atleast I have some extras for my little torch.

Thanks for any help.
Paul.

2000mAh sounds right.
Karl

Looking at power banks on Ebay, has anyone looked into them for an alternative power source. Some run on the 3.7v (18650) batteries, from one to four batteries & normally around 5v output, but I found one powerbank that uses 4x 18650 Lithium ion batteries & can supply 13v at 500 Mah I think it was. Few different types available that have circuitry for 5v output so using 3 of them for 15v total may be an option.
Just something to think about for those clever electronics people out there.

I would be bit cautious about using those. To regulate battery bank output voltage they use buck ( step down) or boost ( step up) technology. Both are were efficient methods to increase or decrease DC voltage and kind of switching power supply. As such it's DC output can be bit noisy and may introduce extra noise in your detector. They also may emit quite bit of EMI, if not shielded properly.
I have not tried it, but that the theory.
Karl

Yeah I know stuff all about them, just thought with a regulated voltage they might be ok but if they cause other problems them best left alone I think.

Hi all, well I've been away for quite sometime and am keen to get back out there with my SPP. Not happy with the stock battery and want to know if anyone is using lipo batteries?
I already own a good balance charger and should make use of it.
Apparently the spp will run happily with up to 16+ volts so my question is , if anyone is using lipo then which battery in man should I look at buying and are they using the existing battery holder or a different solution.
Why lipo? well apart from their light weight they are pretty cheap and accessible and they should get good run times.

Yes I am aware of the potential fire hazards as well.

Anyhow just thought I'd put it out there for discussion.

Latest posts