XP Deus vs Nokta Fores core

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like honest opinions from the owners of these machines, and can they even be compared. Please list the good and bad points if any as im looking to upgrade and i want something that i dont say i wish i had this if you know what i mean :cool:

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/p2ovwAnJKsA[/video]

Do you need the best? I reckon the deus is better. But for your needs? The deus will find everything your looking for, but so will the core. The core is heavier, but the deus is crazy light. The core can wade in water, the deus cant, unless you buy a wired cord kit. The deus is sent back to france for warranty repairs.The core is repaired here in NSW. You dont seem to be concerned with price,but clear winner is the Core. Both machines should be handy on the goldfields as well. Wireless components, is where the Deus wins practicably over other detectors. The ability to upload programs, to the deus control box is cool, and seems to be a feature of highest end machines. So I say go Deus, if you really want one :)

Hey Rocket i am leaning to the Core as price is a big issue but like all hobbies the choices pull you around a bit and make you think i'll save a bit more :) , I've seen the above youtube clip and a tonne of others my head is spinning :D that's one of the reasons i asked for other members opinions, its a bit like when you were tossing between the racer and core, the more informed the better or is it the more informed the harder the decision gets :D

cheers Havinago

Your point about the dues coil not being water resistant is a big turn off for me, but i do like the program ability and multiple frequencies, I really like what you have been doing with the Core. When your at the park what have you found to be the best DI mode and settings (i realise this changes with ground and trash but im extremely curious). I am almost bent over towards the core (and having detector dreams) :D but as you know i was also looking and asking about the xterra 705 because i could get 1 about 5min away (impatient bugger) lol. The thing i hate about tech is that the moment you get something, something better comes out and is sometimes cheaper :(, and the purchase i make will be the last for a long while so i want to be 100% in my decision. The nudges i feel are pushing me to the core lol

forgot about the multiple frequencies on the deus, its a very good feature. I ran DI2 yesterday, and DI3 today. Both go deep, fast recovery etc, but I do really like 3 tones for parks, ignoring the multitude of mid tones, when shooting for coins. DI2 for low trash areas, then digging the mids for gold rings. The deus coil is waterproof, but you need a wire to the control box. No big deal, but what will salt eventually do to the contacts on the coil?

The Deus coils are in fact waterproof, it's just the wireless signal from the coil to the headphones or control box that is compromised underwater without the optional aerial kit. So it should be fine for dry/wet sand duties at the beach, just not underwater - there are more appropriate detectors for that task vs a VLF (for beaches). As for the charging contacts, they should be fine if washed off under fresh water after any beach outings, just as you should do with any other detector coil in such circumstances. A small tab of electrical tape over the contacts will also help protect them.

Every time the Deus is upgraded, all that is required is a free download from XP's website,. No more having manufacturers forcing you to upgrade detectors to get the latest features, drip feeding you minor improvements at a substantial cost on what they claim are "new" detectors.

If on a tighter budget, I probably would have opted for a Racer or Core.

Ok, it's a bit long winded, but here's my take on the Deus so far:

Regarding repairs on the Deus, I'm not too fussed on Oz warranties/servicing going by past experiences, aside from that, the service I received so far from XP France and related retailers was excellent. What is unique to the Deus, and more important to me, is that I can literally purchase any replacement part for this detector, and see it here in a bit over a week from France. I can't think of any other detector manufacturer where this is possible. No more wasting time waiting for dealers getting their act together ordering parts at their convenience. ;)

If you do need to send in the control box for warranty repairs, the headphones can be used to control the detector in the meantime, or use the control box if the wireless headphone module requires repairs. No need to send the whole detector off for repairs.

If you purchase a second coil and shaft, you instantly have two Deus detectors - one can run off the headphones, whilst the other is operated via the main control box. If it rains, take the control box off, and just use the shaft, coil and headphones (the headphones are weatherproof). The main control box is fully upgradable via USB, has a loud inbuilt speaker, small headphone jack, backlit screen, and as soon as you turn it off, the headphones take over as the main controller for the detector.

The sheer amount of adjustments you can make on this detector really is astounding. Though it can also be very simple to use via one of the several inbuilt programs. These can be easily customised, renamed, and saved to a new slot for future use. There are four frequencies to play with at the press of a button, no need to change coils, and battery power will last for days on a single charge of the lithium batteries. You do not require a 240v power source to charge the detector, all can be done via any USB port or portable power source, and charging time is a also very short compared to your regular Nicad battery packs on other detectors.

As for ground balancing, you can chose auto tracking, pump (ground grab), beach or manual adjustment, most of the time manual adjustment is the best to use, especially in junky areas. The manual adjustment has a fair bit of resolution to it, so accurate adjustments can be made.

This is by far the lightest detector I have ever used, even lighter than a stock Ace 250 (1.2 kg) by 213 grams, 313 grams lighter with the control box removed. Even with the larger 11"coil, it still weighs 150 grams lighter than the Ace. For comparison, the Makro Racer weighs 1.4 kg, the Fors Core heavier again at 1.6 kg, and the Etrac at well over 2kg. :eek:

This ultimately has a huge effect on the enjoyment of detecting, and how much ground you can reasonably expect to cover within a given amount of time. Sorry Minelab, might be a good time to invest in Lithium batteries for your coin/relic detectors to get the weight down. :|

For gold detecting there is a separate program to suit such activities. The pinpoint button is now allocated as a ground grab button, frequency is set on 17kHz, and from what I have seen so far, it operates quite nicely in the GT from a few trials last weekend, certainly a lot better than my G2 (Goldbug2). Also included is a feature to discriminate out hot rocks, plus you have the choice to use the lower frequencies to search for deeper gold, whilst handling mineralisation better than the 17kHz frequency.

You do have to keep in mind that these are tone based detectors, so they will not get accurate TID's on deeper targets like a CTX, hence you will be relying more on tones to pick out desirable targets. Either way, it is preferable that you would want an excuse to dig rather than not to dig, so TID's can be a hindrance in that respect.

The mode/program I current use is called fulltones, which is essentially a sliding scale of tones depending on the conductivity of the target. You also get the choice of using 5, 4, 3, and 2 tones, and pitch mode which is similar to a VCO response, but based on depth not conductivity.

There are so many things to like about this detector, I honestly struggle to find much wrong with it so far. A minor criticism regarding the lightweight wireless headphones is that they can be a bit sharp around the back of your ears after long periods. I was going to criticise the pricing, but I honestly believe in this case you get what you pay for. :)

I thank all that contributed to my question but at the end of the day it did come down to budget, and like most of us we want more for less so i opted for the Fors Core as i dont think i could go wrong with this decision, and i got a good deal from Central west prospecting supplies in mudgee. I just cant wait to burn the ground up with it :D

Cheers All

The Core is in line with the F75, MXT and the 705 and the G2 etc, But the Deus is in a world of its own because of how it talks to the coil and the phones and It is the fastest VLF on the planet there is nothing going to compete with it and in the right conditions it will give lower end PI's a run for the money under the right conditions, I just wish I could get more info on that depth test they did, everyone talks about it yet trying to find a Video on it is murder,

I would have gone with the Core too as I like the GP/X Styling, But I have no doubts which machine is Boss, and Goldpicks results have opened up his grounds and Robert opening up a can of whoop Assss with his, So I yield and give them the floor when it comes to the Deus, I still got my old faithfull,, lol

John

I have found stuff quite deep with the Fors Gold... coins and other items. I had an old belt buckle the other day that had my whole Nokta pointer in the hole and then some.
The vibration function I like... you can set the vibration to 5 and the volume to zero and with vibrate activated on the pointer you are literally detecting in complete silence without headphones. I prefer no headphones in the dark especially, keeps your wits about you better. Sometimes even in daytime I like to be covert.
I suppose at the end of the day everyone justs wants to 'find stuff' and with the Fors you will find stuff, wether it's better at doing that than the Deus I don't know.
C

Great thread. I love the gold but spend a lot of collective hours in the month coin shooting. Might have to find a dues user/hire and give it demo or 3, so many positive comments.

I may get a deus 2, must be one in the works. I think nokta is making a deus-like machine as well.

Before I throw my self off the Roof, I would like to say once you master the Deus you will be finding things beyond the reach of other machines,

Now has anyone got a Ladder I can borrow,,,, I can't believe those words come out of my mouth.

Alas it is true, john

It's OK RR, like all detecting there are variables. Machine is just one of them. If your looking at the high end all you really want is good performance that matches the outlay. The dues seems to fit that category. I already get some digs much deeper than the pinpointer if the dues goes too much further I'll be yanking some poor Chinese man out of the hole. :D

Goldtarget said:
It's OK RR, like all detecting there are variables. Machine is just one of them. If your looking at the high end all you really want is good performance that matches the outlay. The dues seems to fit that category. I already get some digs much deeper than the pinpointer if the dues goes too much further I'll be yanking some poor Chinese man out of the hole. :D

Ok you talked me out of it, I'm afraid of heights anyway, lol

One thing I noticed with these deep machines is that you cant dig a hole in the normal way, In order to dig those deep targets you have to widen the hole which makes one heck of a mess, lucky for me my sites are mostly farm land, they get real upset about digging in parks over here,, lol

john

I have a couple of nice old spots and every time I go to these places I deliberately dig bits that I know are trash as well as what looks like good stuff. It does my head in just digging trash, so I'm doing it in stages... when I feel the trash and shallowe goodies are pretty much gone I'll hit the areas with the GPX4500 for the deeper goodies (and trash :rolleyes: ).
C

I ran into a bloke a while back on the Goldfields running a 4500 but in a really odd spot. Turns out he was coin shooting. He showed me some of his finds backing up his story. I gave him a few sites to have a go at but walked away thinking he must love coins. He was no more than a few hundred metres from one of the richest old mines in victoria.
If I had a 45 the last thing I'd be looking for is coins lol.

Latest posts