old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In spite of the potential risks involved in mine exploration, the danger to the experienced mine explorer is relatively low: the majority of accidents involve people who are unprepared. When we explore deep underground away from sources of fresh air we carry gas detectors. Most of the mines we explore are relatively short and fresh air supply has not been an issue.

I have been underground with Dean 65 on many occasions and have always found him to be cautious and considered when venturing underground, he does also use a gas metre and goes underground with some very experienced people.
I have also been underground for the last 40 years and make sure of the integrity of adits before exploring.
Cheers Steve

It is possible to travel from the Devil's Kitchen to Happy Valley via this mine. However, caution is advised should anyone attempt to do so as the drive is silted up in a number of locations and significant crawling is required and the backs in several places are clearly cracked.

ILikeGold said:
After reading that a newbie came across this thread and went out exploring mines too I have to say something. Do not copy these idiots. I can guarantee they dont have confined space tickets and hence the required training and equipment to be doing this. I have never seen any of you carrying a gas detector which would be the first piece of mandatory safety equipment for every man, and its just plain stupid to be in some of the places you are showing in these pictures. I was going to point out all the saftey issues in the photos but it would take me a month there are that many. Promoting this on the internet is just retarded.
I am a full time miner with all the proper training and equipment and know what im talking about, these blokes will end up dead eventually doing this.
Gotta agree!!
One person above cuts & pastes from Wikipedia & tourist brochures which is alarming to say the least. Using Wikipedia + brochures without even quoting it as a source only lends itself to confirming an apparent lack of experience. This thread is a worry & the fact that people are starting to do their own exploring based on it is even more concerning.
Not carrying a gas detector is only one issue & that isn't even the tip of the iceberg.
As a minimum you should be following the Australian Speleological Federation Safety Guidelines but they wouldn't cover the extra risks involved with abandoned mines.

Wouldnt catch me going down there to bloody dangerous :eek: , on another note the confined spaces course is a hell of alotta fun :D

stoyve said:
I have been underground with Dean 65 on many occasions and have always found him to be cautious and considered when venturing underground, he does also use a gas metre and goes underground with some very experienced people.
I have also been underground for the last 40 years and make sure of the integrity of adits before exploring.
Cheers Steve

same mate but not 40 years more like 17 years

This mine has a long silted up drive that seems to travel back into the Devils Kitchen. However, there is not much room and crawling underground for several hundred metres is not my idea of fun. The mine has a number of rises and declines that are not clear from the pictures due to their 2 dimensional nature. Once again caution is advised given the age of the workings.

Any tips from experienced mine explorers ? After seeing this post I think it's something I'm going to have to try.

Where abouts do you live Augoldmember? I might be able to help you out.
Cheers Steve

I live in Flowerdale in king lake national park. I do a lot of 4wding and have found a heap of caves just haven't had the balls to go into any.

Augoldmember said:
I live in Flowerdale in king lake national park. I do a lot of 4wding and have found a heap of caves just haven't had the balls to go into any.

Are they caves or old workings?
It's good that you haven't gone into them by yourself regardless if there caves or adits/tunnels especially being inexperienced.
Once you've posted 10 times I will send you a pm.
Cheers Steve

You all need to be aware that we take adequate precautions to minimize all risks when exploring old mines exercising great caution at all times. If a working looks too dangerous we don't proceed. We also advise inexperienced people not to explore underground or to go with someone that is experienced. A number of our group are or were professional miners.

dean65 said:
You need to be aware that we take adequate precautions to minimise all risks when exploring old mines exercising great caution at all times. If a working looks too dangerous we don't proceed. We also advise inexperienced people not to explore underground or to go with someone that is experienced. A number of our group are or were professional miners.

Well said. There's nothing wrong with exploring old mines as long as you take precautions and don't take any risks. It's always good to have someone staying on the outside of the mine also, just incase something does happen then they can go for help!

Martin said:
dean65 said:
You need to be aware that we take adequate precautions to minimise all risks when exploring old mines exercising great caution at all times. If a working looks too dangerous we don't proceed. We also advise inexperienced people not to explore underground or to go with someone that is experienced. A number of our group are or were professional miners.

Well said. There's nothing wrong with exploring old mines as long as you take precautions and don't take any risks. It's always good to have someone staying on the outside of the mine also, just incase something does happen then they can go for help!

A person staying outside is a very good idea. We also try to let people know where we are going.

A couple of the local mines around my area had me confused with rectangular notches opposite each other at head height within the adits. I didn't venture far into these mines, and I'm glad I didn't.

I found out off a local old time miner that they used to have wooden or steel ( most the time old train track ) bars at short intervals for a rope or cable to follow over to the winch at the entrance of the adit. If there's these notches along the walls at head height, there us a massive chance that a winze is in that mine, a deep hole somewhere along the adit.

Be warey of this indicator, I've been told the notches may be visible, but the winze collapsed with a quick dynamatie charge when the mine was abandoned and possibly hanging ground.

Hope ya read this HTY, we were talkin bout it on the phone. It confused me for quite some time as they seemed like holes for timbers...but at an odd height with closer intervals. Each hole laying as horizontal long rectanges would be 7" x 12" roughly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts