portland victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi every one my name is mark I live in Portland Victoria, and have collected fossils my whole life we have some beautiful spots down here, and some are right in the middle of town ,you can drive your car past them and view the 8 million year old fossil echinoids sticking out of the limestone,.,i just thought id write this if there are people out there that are interested in fossils, im always happy to share info, and most locations ha ha, we have Australian megafuana site ten minutes from my house , with some awesome fossils coming out mainly teeth and bone fragments, inbedded in a layer of clay ranging from a metre thick to half a foot,ive ,.

some include marsupial lion teeth,gaint wombats,kangaroos,lots of different stuff,, at the moment im having a lot of trouble uploading pics,.,

we have right in town ,big cliffs full of marine Miocene sediment, with some beautiful sharks teeth coming out of it, whales teeth you name it, ,,

also , I have just found a new spot ,whitch holds megladons teeth an extinct shark that was over 50 to 60 foot long and over 20 tonne, there teeth can range from an inch up to 7 inches,,

I am always happy to share info and help out where I can., also willing to take people out if they are prepared to travel to Portland and show them around a few spots, well all of them but the megs teeth spot is a hard walk threw snake infested bush,, but well worth it,if a tiger snake doesn't tag you on the way that is lol..,... hope you enjoyed the read . mark :)

Hi Mark I would love to know more about the area that you mentioned with the Megladons teeth. I am also from Portland, but never knew that there was so much history around the area. if you could help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Hi Mark,

I live in Mt Gambier and I believe there are some good spots around Dartmoor, although I haven't been myself as I'm usually chasing gemstones. I wouldn't mind a few fossils though, seeing there is so much diversity in our local area.

Hi Mark,

I'm heading through portland later in the month and I'm hoping to go look for a shark tooth. I've heard about these for years but have never looked. It's only since I've had children and one of them has a huge interest that we are going for a look. I'm staying at the narrawong caravan park. I've heard that they are along there and it's best to go after a big swell? Also what about diving for them? Any help would be great.

Stewart

H i Mark, welcome. Great to have more interest in Paleontology in the forum. It's not my thing but other members will be happy to join in your exploits.
Jaros :p

Hi Mark,
My name is Michael and I would like to go fossicking for megalodon teeth sometime this year.
I'm from South Australia, but have been living in Melbourne for a few years now. Thanks for sharing ?
Kind regards,
Michael

We have a place in Portland and friends of ours always walk along the beach after a big blow and find ancient shark teeth. Some are quite large. Very interesting.
GT

G'day Mark,

I'm interested in looking around the Portland Area and will be staying in Warnambool for the exit week or so. Some more pointers would br great! Thanks

snookie said:
hi every one my name is mark I live in Portland Victoria, and have collected fossils my whole life we have some beautiful spots down here, and some are right in the middle of town ,you can drive your car past them and view the 8 million year old fossil echinoids sticking out of the limestone,.,i just thought id write this if there are people out there that are interested in fossils, im always happy to share info, and most locations ha ha, we have Australian megafuana site ten minutes from my house , with some awesome fossils coming out mainly teeth and bone fragments, inbedded in a layer of clay ranging from a metre thick to half a foot,ive ,.

some include marsupial lion teeth,gaint wombats,kangaroos,lots of different stuff,, at the moment im having a lot of trouble uploading pics,.,

we have right in town ,big cliffs full of marine Miocene sediment, with some beautiful sharks teeth coming out of it, whales teeth you name it, ,,

also , I have just found a new spot ,whitch holds megladons teeth an extinct shark that was over 50 to 60 foot long and over 20 tonne, there teeth can range from an inch up to 7 inches,,

I am always happy to share info and help out where I can., also willing to take people out if they are prepared to travel to Portland and show them around a few spots, well all of them but the megs teeth spot is a hard walk threw snake infested bush,, but well worth it,if a tiger snake doesn't tag you on the way that is lol..,... hope you enjoyed the read . mark :)

Hello mark .. I need to talk to you I have an eleven Yr old daughter crazy about this stuff I took her to portland and surrounds but had no luck, from what I have heard I was in the right place but honestly I had no idea where to look !! ! Please help I'm all for helping my daughter get into this stuff..she s so interested in it

Seems I will be spending a couple of days down in Portland for work this week.

Any tips for a newb, or just wonder along the beach?

Sounds like a good trip, Since I've got to go down there too I'd be keen to know where this beach is, My kids are keen as!

Hi Mark

I am travelling down to Portland with my young son Thursday evening to look for shark's teeth - particularly megalodon if possible. We are very new to this but would be interested in any tips you could provide. We will be there all day Friday (18th Dec).

Cheers - Ian K

Hi Atomrat. Thanks for the link, i was after a spot to find some fossilized sharks teeth. I have a few ideas now where to look.
Hi Fishwell, let us know how you get on, hope you are successful..
Sheryl.

Hi mark
rosscoe here have been interested in fossils for a number of years now
have been a member of dinosaurs dreaming.
am going to be down there about late this month or next moth.
plan to retire there would like to meet up with you and look at your collection
hope to see you soon
ross

I'd love to hear more about dinosaur dreaming rosscoe?

I've still gotta go check it out. Can you get access without paying a charge to get to fossils or is it very tourist based

Hi AtomRat

the Inverloch sit was closed down several years ago
dont know why
but it is knowen as flat rock it is between eagle nest rock
and Inverlock the bed is right on the shore line and very difficult
to to get to the fossil bed with out jack hammers
but along the cliff there are fossil fish bones and turtles
if you are interrested you could ring Monash uni and see if
Lesley Kool is still there she did was the field reports
may be able to get some old reports from her

they are now digging some where at Otway

I hope to be able to catch up with then soon