Minelab GP3000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure that the tracking on machines up to the GP3000 would be about medium speed.
You may need to initiate a quick track if the tracking isn't keeping up with the ground by going to fixed then flick back to tracking while pumping the coil. This initiates a 5 sec quick track.
Might be better in these areas to use fixed & regularly re-ground balance or periodically switch from tracking to fixed & check the machine is staying balanced by pumping your coil. If it's out do the quick balance above.
Unfortunately in some areas the older machines are more prone to picking up the odd hot rock.

Pretty sure I remember Jonathan Porter saying that he believes the tracking speed on the 3000 is like Fast on the 3500

Thanks for the advice guys, I have fitted a quick track button and will try and stay in fixed as much as possible. The 3000 ran so well near tarnagulla I'm thinking a 14inch mono could be good away from the bigger hot rocks? Guess I'll find out :eek:

Nuggetbuster said:
Pretty sure I remember Jonathan Porter saying that he believes the tracking speed on the 3000 is like Fast on the 3500
Yeah your right.
Jonathan Porter said:
Fixed is the better option on a 3000 as the inbuilt single tracking speed is too fast, having a GB button on the handle will speed things up by saving you from having to reach forward and activate the switch on the front end cap. If the ground conditions are only shallow or the mineralisation extreme and variable then Tracking will be OK otherwise keep the 3000 in Fixed.

Yep, Tracking on the extreme and 3000 was equivalent to the GP3500 Fast. That's why remote GB buttons were fitted on the extremes, which eventually became standard issue on the 3500, along with a couple of slower speeds.

I was thinking about the SD2200's & assumed their slower tracking (more like med) carried through until they had the 3 options on the GP3500 - the options were possibly made available due to some people preferring the slower SD tracking but some also liked it faster on the GP's? Either way another small but good step along the improvements trail on the way to the GPX5000.

Hi, finally brought my first minelab gold detector, second hand but saved hard to get enough cash to buy it, (just quietly) im really stoked ,
do the two coils I have with it in photo cover most ground or do I really need another?
cheers and thanks in advance for any and all advice
1462824956_my_new___old_minelab_gp_3000_gold_deyector.jpg

Hi nick they are both monos what state are you in as the mineralization varies from state to state and may effect the way the detector behaves
have a think about putting a ground balance button on it , its easy to do I done it to a gp extreme and it made a big difference
may be a 11 DD commander it can be used as a DD or mono and with that coil it may be easer for you to get to know the detector regards john :)

Yeah I'd look at getting an 11"DD for it. You can pick the GP Series ones up cheap as a lot of people that buy the GPX4500 that it comes with just sell them as they want to use monos only.
In my opinion every Minelab PI should have at least one DD coil in the kit but for SD/GP series they are pretty much essential.

Hi Nick, good choice for a first detector. I started the same way, IMOP the 11"DD is the way to go,good depth, and not as noisy as a mono. And remember the old saying, low and slow, That one thing will definitely increase your Gold finds. Regards Mal.

thanks bud, ive just got Jonathon porters dvd in post this morning after watching those two video's last week and ordering it last tuesday

WOW you would not believe it after taking all your advice I found one,,, just brought a minelab 11"double d coil brand new for a great price from Mickybee here in the For Sale section ,pic is one from ebay I found as mb didn't have a pic

1462874711_double_dd_coil.jpg

I've been running a 3000 for several months now and have to say its a very good detector, the 11inch dd is a great coil very stable in dd and very sensitive at good depth if used in mono mode (can still use discrimination in mono and a very under rated coil). I use a coiltek dd pro 17x11 for new ground in virgin area's for the extra ground coverage and will still hit .5 gram bits easy in normal and dd at reasonable depth. Small mono's seem to run well in alot of area's in the golden triangle using sensitive and deep although i do find myself scratching at alot of ground noises around heathcote and rushworth area. Best mods are to fit a ground balance quick track button (not hard if you can solder) and a sound booster is great as i find the standard audio volume is very low. If you want to do the gb button mod pm me and i'll send you some pictures and advice on how to do it.

Regards Daryl :)

thanks daryl, it has voltage mod as far as I know there is another mod but cant remember what seller said, have sent him a PM asking whats done to it.

Hi, took my gp3000 for its first outing today to help a mate locate a buried treasure in poly pipe hes had in ground so many years he cant remember where he buried it, turned on detector as shown by john porter video and it went haywire, tried turning all controls and still going off hurting my ears,noticed the on off switch on back does nothing ,i assume because its got modded power supply box and on off switch velcrowed to the side, cant work out if machine is faulty or just too close to lots of metal fences and tractor in his small back yard

nicko if its in a back yard you will be getting interference from electrical sauce power line ever phone lines electric fences may be the trouble regards john :)

Latest posts