Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I picked up the new toy on Saturday and boy my legs are sore from all the up and down digging targets. Majority lead shot, got upwards of 100 for the weekend. At this rate I'm going to legs like a weight lifter. In saying this I also got my fair share of the good stuff 20 small pieces for about a gram so very happy plus Doug out the side of a reef for 8 pieces of quartz with with definite targets , only a few showing but have goes up for the rest.
Would of only found probably less than half with the 5000 and Sadie. I'm sure more experienced operators would have done better. Big question is one of the pieces would not register even when rubbed on coil. Weighed at .04 other pieces under that found easily? Only found it cause it came out in the same piece of dirt as a bigger bit? Will put up some photos if I can work out how.

Also a big thanks to the guy who helped me out and gave me the poly pipe to sort out the stupid arm rest, made it so much easier.

finds for the weekend. I think the 5000 will get a rest for a while.
1441171005_dscn0846.jpg
before and after crushing
1441171039_006.jpg
1441171047_dscn0847.jpg

Sorry about photo quality only just worked how to get them up and didn't work out too well. End up splitting the difference and mainly ran on 3, if got an iffy signal bumped up to 5 and was clearer , just seemed to suit my hearing that way.

Tough weekend ended pretty knackered but well worth it. Can't wait for the next trip. Worth noting that most of species came from well and truly flogged area.

Hi All, If you can find lead shot is a very sore point with the wife,when she is not with me I use the 2300 and bring home gold every trip (I use Threshold 4 Sens 4/5)Last trip she had been going all morning with the 2300 and not a thing so at lunch time I grabed the 2300 and about 8 mts from the car got a faint signal so with the pick I scrached a square about a Mtr Square and said to her there gold in that square after 20mins and reducing the size of the square 600mm she found it .1g and she said that sounds nothing like lead shot it was very faint but it was there (and she got hundreds of shot) so you have to listen for the very smallest change in sound,I find lead will give a bigger change and easy to find, we are using Sun Ray pro Gold head Phones from Nenad,So when someone says if you can find lead you can find gold maybe,so after this maybe more gold to come now she know the sound
Cheers Midlifecrisis

I agree from limited experience that you need to listen to the faintest sound but it you picked up a pice of gold the same size as a shot I think it would sound the same, as most people say dig everything. A couple of months ago picked up a piece of gold with quarts and ironstone in it 1.89 gr on a mullock heap not 6 inches from a older dig hole that sounded just like a piece of wire or tin , quite the surprise. I'm guessing the previous person thought the same.

Been keeping an eye on the other forum, all gone
quiet on coils for the sdc. The statement was the sdc
performed better with the 11" mono thean the orignial coil.

Hi I'm looking to buy a SDC 2300
My question is are they good for beach work and relic hunting?
I mainly plan to use it for gold hunting
But when I cannot make it to the gold bearing areas I'd like to play around locally,
Members that have this detector I'd love to hear from you
Thank you regards Roger

Without discrim its not too bad on the beach apart from bottle tops and alloys but it hasn't been too annoying...yet :rolleyes: tolerable as long as good finds are between the trash signals. Take a long handed shovel bucket with 1/4" or 1/2" holes drilled through it to sieve out sand to get targets faster. Takes seconds in the sand rather than kneeling down looking through clay balls and lumps of rolling dirt

Hope you like bobby pins :)

Ha ha thank you lads
I'm only new to this,so digging up everything I guess will be ok with me for awhile,
Good to get some experience

Maybe you'd be better off with a Whites TDI Pro Oz or a Whites SPP if you want a detector that's ood for gold and relics.

Whilst the a Whites machines aren't as magical at pulling small gold and specimens from flogged patches, they're great gold machines in the right hands...and I think either one of those would make a better coin and relic machine than an SDC.

Left home early this morning 10 min drive then 30 min walk through the blackberries to my fav spot , cranked up the SDC and wasn't sure if it was my ears or headphones but the volume seemed about 25 percent of normal. As I use Avantree Bluetooth sender and earbud phones I assumed this was the problem , plugged in my spare Jack Lange under chins that I carry and not even a peep , pulled out Nenads adapter to test SDC external standard speaker and was its poor ( IMO ) but normal volume .
Walked back to car to test with Minelab UR 30 supplied headphones and once again no sound , so it seems the machine has an issue so a drive down to Minelab later today. Main reason for post is to make others aware if you have a similar problem that I suspected for a few days that the volume had been deteriorating but just thought it was my ears , turns out not!

Still love the machine and the long warranty , hope they lend out detectors as I need a fix in more ways than one

Cheers

Latest posts