Minelab GP3500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have done the rounds and found a minelab commander 11 dd is the ducks gut for ,.1 to 5g sorry havn't walked over anything bigger or because I let that screamer go, but will try the coiltek you described because I believe it was made for the 35 and I want to try it as far as monos in the GT forget it go DD the 15 x 12 was outshone in depth by this i coil at 12 inches with 5 good men watching,,,,,,
really want to find a nugget finder dd elliptical but not sure they were made without being an xp cheers big ears :D

The best coil/detector combination I used on a GP3000 was a 11" Commander mono and that thing would just purr even in the heavy mineralized areas we have here in Vic, very sensitive on the small stuff and will only miss the bigger stuff at extreme depths but in saying this running a stable machine is key at hearing those faint deep targets.

Cheers,
James.

PhaseTech said:
Has anyone used any of the Razorback coils on a Minelab? Do they have a website?

I haven't used the razorback coils for the MineLab but can say the Razorbacks for the TDI are impressive' and I also know of a meet up involving testing done with the razorback coils for the Minelab and everyone was very impressed with the results! I'm sure we are going to see a lot more about the razorback coils very soon...

Hi All,

I have a moded GP3500 which I'm primarily using for beach hunting, it was purchased with only one stock 11"DD Minelab coil.
The GP has Woody's additional timings / extra depth settings.

I believe the 11" is working a treat, finding targets that are too deep to dig and handling EMI rather well. I've been reading up and looking at the Coiltek 14" DD Pro Elite Coil (I'm finding slithers of metal foil at serious depths maybe a 14" might overlook tiny junk?). I'd love to go out to the gold feilds but I'm sure beaches would make up 98% of my outings. The coastline changes from mineralised salt water beaches close to suburbia out to very quiet beaches.

I do intend to visit some local State Forests at some point but I'd have to travel for a good 2-3hours to get to any known gold bearing areas.

So I'm just wondering what would your first choice of coil be? I'm not looking at stocking 4-10 coils lol
Does it need to be a DD? I understand the benifits/draw backs so I'm guessing yes.

Any comments or links, suggestions & experiences would be greatly appreciated :D

Tim

For the beach, get yourself a 14" Salt/AI coil. Will run super stable, even on the wet salt and get very good depth.

Cool, more reading to be done then.

So from what I understand the AI is basically a figure 8 wound coil. Will have a significant loss of depth on large items but not so much on a very small shallow target. Great for mineralized soil.

Will read up on the AI and look for some vid's.

:D

G'day guys, just looking for input for coils for my 3500. I have a Commander 11inch and a 14inch Coiltek mono elite. I used a Sadie on it recently which worked very well ( I picked up 9 pieces for 2.1grams). I was wondering if the Joey coil was on par with the Sadie. I am looking at adding a small coil to the kit. Input appreciated. Thanks, Rick

Hi Rick,

There will only be a bees whisker of difference between the Sadie and Joey - too little to worry about owning both. If you were happy with how the Sadie ran then go with that.

Nenad

G'day folks, Can anyone tell me if the GP3500 can run the 15x12 Commander Mono Coil ? Also what could a person expect from this Coil on the 3500,

I have read here that there are some coils that the 3500 does not like,

Thank you.

John.

I ran a 15x12 mono on my 3500 when I had it, and it ran great unless I hit really mineralised soil...should be right for over there, I would think

Nuggetbuster said:
I ran a 15x12 mono on my 3500 when I had it, and it ran great unless I hit really mineralised soil...should be right for over there, I would think

Thanks mate, they are charging a bit much for it and I am not sure if it is new or not,

I like those Camo Coiltek coils and the 14" Solid NF Evo Coil or what ever it is called but I can't get them here so I am going to have to order one from from OZ,

John.

The 15x12 was my favourite general purpose coil until the new coils started coming out.

If I was you I'd be going for the DD version. Will give you the versatility of using Cancel, Mono mode and Iron Reject.
Both great coils on the 3500, a little heavy, but those skidplates are built to last

Thanks Nenad, that's a load off my mind,

Next One I want is a Good 14/15" and / Or an 18" also I having been thinking about something like the Platypus or something like that just for grubbing around for fine bits,

Thanks again,

John.

Hi and thanks for any help / feedback I have limited funds but I would like to upgrade to a better gold ( PI ) detector and I can get a GP3500 at a good price just in budget with 5 coils are they any good and how much better would it be over my Eureka gold or would a sd 2200 be a better machine
Thanks Roy

The SD2200's are a good low priced option but nowadays I think that the GP3500 would be a better buy. A few more options, quick track button as stock & very similar otherwise really.
I don't think it would be a case of it being better than your Eureka Gold as you would likely find the Eureka Gold better in some areas & more sensitive to very small gold. They would more compliment each other in that there would be areas of deeper ground, higher mineralisation etc. where the GP will prove better but for specking around mullock heaps, bedrock etc. then you could still use the Eureka.

roy cobb . If you can buy a 3500 that is affordable do it .Its an update from the 2200. A 3500 with 5 coils gives you options Have not heard a bad report on the 3500

3500 still a great machine. Great audio, has most of the adjustments you want, punches deep, and very good sensitivity with smaller coils in the Sensitive mode.

Latest posts