⭐ Fossil show and tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

This has to be my favourite sort of fossily thing - I own. When I showed my dad he said "I don't believe you (one) should covet anything but I covet that!". A table top I bought at the Gosford gem show a few years back when I was flush. It almost looks 3D (the mug and pen is ) in the way the shells want to pop out. I just yet have to make the table. Love to get it out every now and then.

Orthoceras (squid?) and Gonioceras from Tindouf basin, Morocco. Devonian 350M yo.

1442661136_table.jpg

Very nice Mr Magoo :p
If you live in that area , and dont know of ,or havent been to , there is a shop in Manns rd that has the most amazing fossils , gem stones and geods etc ,just like the stuff you would find in a museum. I spent over an hour in there ,in total awe of the treasures on show.
I think the lady was a bit peeved when i didnt buy anything though, but i just could not afford anything in there :lol:
Certainly worth a visit ;)

You could make her a fossil using colored cement and fine sand with an old coin in it,.. and swap it for something in her shop(maybe). :|

Sandta said:
If you live in that area , and dont know of ,or havent been to , there is a shop in Manns rd that has the most amazing fossils , gem stones and geods etc ,just like the stuff you would find in a museum. I spent over an hour in there ,in total awe of the treasures on show.
I think the lady was a bit peeved when i didnt buy anything though, but i just could not afford anything in there :lol:
Certainly worth a visit ;)

Thanks Sanda. No, I didn't know. Looks like a trip up there is definitely on the cards. Love that sort of stuff. But it carries a helluva price tag at time's. Only circumstance's afforded that table top at the time and it's not expensive in relative terms. A wife, two kids has now reduced the budget to coprolite. :)

Sandta said:

Sounds good, Will check it out soon. Another day to hurt my wallet...

Always best to buy fossils in person, so many fakes online nowadays... Especially fossils from from locations like Morocco.

Thought I would share this fossil I picked up on a motorbike trip.
It come from a couple of hundred kms inland of the great Australian bight, nowhere near water but has a few nice shells to see.
Location was along the Trans Australian Railway line near Forrest, WA. There were lots of other fossils in the rocks but being on a motorbike space was for essentials only :lol:
If anyone can identify anything I wold be interested, to me its just a couple of sea shells :cool:
1466495343_20160621_163609.jpg

1466495367_20160621_163555.jpg

Here is another one I also picked up while traveling on a motorbike trip. Once again limited space meant only the one :p
Not sure whats in this fossil, several oval shape creatures.
I found this in outback south Australia around lake Torrens :D
1466496042_20160621_172436.jpg

and the other side

1466496069_20160621_172452.jpg

Very nice Mr Magoo!
I just spent a weekend with my cousins in the gold coast and they moved into a new house where 3 of their bathroom showers and table tops are this exact fossil sheet. AMAZING! the things you can get with money these days! :)

headbut said:

hey mate, how big is the crab? I found one almost identical at Jervis Bay about 30 years ago, about the size of a nice mudcrab. I left it there, as I was backpacking out of a fishing spot, and at the time, the last thing i wanted in my pack was another 3 kg rock!

davent said:
headbut said:

hey mate, how big is the crab? I found one almost identical at Jervis Bay about 30 years ago, about the size of a nice mudcrab. I left it there, as I was backpacking out of a fishing spot, and at the time, the last thing i wanted in my pack was another 3 kg rock!

Hey Dave , just saw this post today LOL , the crab is about 1.5 "long & 3/4 " wide

Cheers Paul

Here's a couple of plant fossils.
The first might be Cladophlebis, but I'm not sure. It was part of my Mother's collection.
The second was found by me in a quarry in Horn Road, Aspley, Brisbane in 1972. It's now a housing estate.

1496712791_cladop1016801.jpg

1496712877_horn_rd_resized.jpg

I have a fair few fossils. I might photo some more some time.

Mike

Latest posts