Minelab Eureka gold tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried boost AtomRat but i fix the ground balance next to the target and test from all directions. But, i will give that idea ago. I still get confused by those small ironstone hot rocks though, so using boost might sort them out? I am still learning the language of the Eureka myself.

Funny you mentioned the beach, i tried the Eureka out yesterday on the beach and it didn't run that crash hot. The best i could get it to run was in Fine audio and slow tracking or fixed. I did find a lot of targets but nothing real deep, the manual states that in fine audio that it can effect deep targets? But in fine audio i was able to run near max sens. in dry sand. I have to give it more testing, but from what i have seen in dry sand it could be a very good small jewelry machine. The wet sand was a totally different ball game, but once again it ran best in fine audio slow or fixed GB. I am going to take some coins and rings down with me next time and test at different depths both wet and dry, i will keep you informed how i go. Maybe with the 14.5" coiltek in fine audio it might go deeper than we think or maybe the extra size of the coil might make it run worse?

The coils are Coiltek 6" and 14.5" gold seeker(both waterproof), Minelab 8" , 11" and the 5x10" stock coil. If i can get the machine to operate on the beach then i might go the 14.5 coiltek, this will have a dual purpose for me than.

I like the Eureka a lot and if i can get it to do a specific job on the beach that none of my other detectors can do than that's a bonus. :)

No as far as I know the stocker 10x5 is not waterproof , the COILTEK 6 and goldseeker 14.5 he means is , not the others roscoe mentions.

Ive got a eureka gold also with the 10x5 stocker and the 11" goldsearch coil , haven't been able to really get out lately , would like to get the booster box for it , and have found that having the control box mounted under the arm brace at the end of the shaft is a lot more comfortable for swinging .

Would like to get the 6 inch and 15 inch COILTEK coils for it over time and have all bases covered with it so to speak .

Running the box back at the end of the shaft also helps with the cable wrapped round the shaft so there is not too much down the coil end.

That's right Dirtdemon the minelab coils are water resistant only. Dirtdemon i am running a treasure mate amp it clips to your arm cuff strap and so far its doing a good job. It has its own battery incorporated with an on/off switch and head phone plug. The sound quality is close to the b&z with Gme external speaker, the head phones hooked into it are on par as far as i can tell.

I run my box under the arm cuff also and its a well balanced machine like this, much better than forward of cuff that's for sure.

Ok, so I went out to a local park I've already hit with an old vlf where I gained $70 and I know two other people have detected there since. Taking Roscoes advice I set slow tracking, threshold to 2oclock and got it sounding smooth. It was harder without discriminating like my older vlfs, but I just made less signals in the area by digging up everything that made the eureka flutter even a little. I was very very impressed when it was finding bits of 1.5mm dia. wire only about 3-4mm long and also very tiny bits of alloy.

The previous detector should have found some of the targets I got today but the eureka certainly found what it missed or couldn't pick up. Only got to detect a 1/4 of the park as I found my self surrounded by a crowd which I hadnt realised, and a semi circle of mothers, fathers, grandmothers and children stood and watch me dig a few useless targets but luckily I got a 10c coin which gave some excitement to proove that detectors actually work.. they were very happy for me to be there as i showed them the dangerous metal spikes, nails and filings I was keeping in my bag for trash from the grounds.

Even though I gave away roughly $2 to interested children who eagerly watched me dig the finds from below, I scored $4.75 I think it was and still 3/4 of the park to detect.

It played up very strangly under a 30cm square section under the tambark and I'm guessing it was a couple of big poles from previous equipment close to each other as it sounded like it bounced left and right

Also I do realise I havnt fixed the cable yet ;)

Seemed to run well though. Forgot to swap to fast tracking to see the diffrrence so ill do it tomorrow unless its raining.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs7R6tbLPVY[/video]

1441525949_14415240703620.jpg

( who's the seaky bugger watching my vids on youtube before I upload them here.. I see you ;) )

There were a lot of signals everywhere, like I said I dug most but I started to get lazy and only dug the screamers and ones that 'looked' like a coin..if ya get what I mean..and most of them were coins or something shaped like a coin, so still easy hunting there. I can't wait to detect my real grounds where the old coins come from ;) mission of the week I think! Hopefully score all the pennies I missed and hopefully I recon ill score a gold ring or two!

What was the Eureka doing to make you think it was to mineralised? Was its threshold dropping out all of the time?

Ok no worries mate sounds like some real bad ground then. All the best in the hills. :)

Ok were gonna hit the goldfields tomorrow around castlemaine. If anyone can throw recommended settings or I just use what I've been doing with coins and only adjust sens and thresh when I need to?

What frequency will be best for single sweeps ( not going over ground again on another freq ) to hopefully find us any sort of gold size.

I've let dylan know if we even find one bit were off to a great start. I'd be happy to come across leadshot which I'm sure won't take long.. and also to see what depth the detector will pick up any tiny metal fragments.

Iafter today and realising I havnt charged the battery yet, where is the battery charge indicator? Do we have an LED or a warning signal of any sort for low batt?

Id be putting the battery on charge as early as posiible , as they take a while , there is a green LED on the battery that is supposed to get dimmer once the battery is completed charging , but I struggle to see any difference from charge to full really , a simple red LED for charging and green for full would be a better system .

Dirtdemon said:
Id be putting the battery on charge as early as posiible, as they take a while , there is a green LED on the battery that is supposed to get dimmer once the battery is completed charging , but I struggle to see any difference from charge to full really , a simple red LED for charging and green for full would be a better system .
Cheers mate. I've got a recharable and a battery pack too so I'm pretty sweet in case. The green light is ratger bright so that means I should charge it until it dims down? Rather.. 8)

Latest posts