Does anyone fossick for a career?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Shanni there are a few people who fossick for gold with metal detectors for a living. They usually work alone. The next step up is to find a good gold spot and take out a prospecting lease in WA and get the various approvals and shift some dirt with machinery and detect or process the dirt.

Fossicking for gems and minerals for a career is hard and only a few do it. Some have leases on gemstone and stone localities. Large tourmaline, orbicular granite, crysoprase, tiger iron, opal and other rock localities have been leased but you are probably too late to be able to easily find a great site. And in some states it is almost impossible for small miner to start a lease because of the costs and environmental hurdles involved.

There are some people who find, cut and sell gems and make a living. Opal and sapphires are the two gems that this mainly applies to in places like lightning ridge, and the NSW and queensland sapphire fields. I know a couple retirees who find and sell stones, gold and make jewellery to pay there way around.

If you know your minerals you could buy and sell and import minerals and maybe get into the big mineral shows around the world and become a mineral dealer. Maybe selling bigger austalian gold nuggets at shows or some minerals we have the best examples in world, that overseas collectors would want.

Or you can go out and find a good gold or silver deposit, lease it, prove it by drilling, and flog it off to a big miner for a couple million and some royalty from the mine. It worked well for Mark Creasy and started him on his way to 700 million.
cheers RDD

there was an article in gold gem and treasure mag last month or the one before about it.
and anything is possible/

Yeah, it is my second job. I'm pensioner, that makes prospecting and coin shooting easier because I'm not financially depended on it. Coin shooting is most secure sort of activity. Instead of paying for the gym I earn 30 to 70 bucks a week doing excersise. Peanuts for you who work but nice extra money if you are on pension. Gold prospecting is not so good. I need about a gram of gold to break even and often I get nothing.
Karl

Wally69 said:
I have been doing it full time a couple of days a month.

My wife has concluded that I need a real job. :eek:

I think you need to divorce :lol: :lol: :lol:

luckily my wife loves going with me, she enjoys it as much as me lucky :cool:

Danmuss said:
Wally69 said:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .........nah........she would get half my gold, and it was too much work just to give it away. :lol: :D :lol:

Wally69 said:
Danmuss said:
Wally69 said:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .........nah........she would get half my gold, and it was too much work just to give it away. :lol: :D :lol:
But,....Meta just gives it away anyway Wally,... to anyone :eek: ,.....(anyone who is a good guesser)(ha). :D

silver said:
Wally69 said:
Danmuss said:
Wally69 said:

But,....Meta just gives it away anyway Wally,... to anyone :eek: ,.....(anyone who is a good guesser)(ha). :D
Oi, I'm a pretty good cook too

Just wondering what my career prospects are for fossicking, lol smile

I often dream about this :)

But you would need a lot of luck to make a decent living from it and luck is typically not with me.

Seems to be with some people a lot more often for some reason. If amethyst were as valuable as sapphire or opal, ktmman's brother would be a billionaire by now :lol:

Yep.Im having a go.Do you want to buy some rocks. I mean sapphires. i really mean rocks? Give me another 8 weeks and ill let you know if I had to get a real job. Nothing better being out in the Tasmania wilderness without some boss telling when you can breath though. I'm hoping to find enough to keep me kickin along until I do score.Cheers

Shanni's last log on was
Last visit
14 September 2015 07:19 pm
That doesn't mean she won't be back once she is a geologist though. :)