MINELAB F1A4 ex military metal detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Au man ,
Thankyou for your rundown on the level 3 . We are getting rain here (I bought a crow bar) so next time I go out the grd. should be softer. Also how long do you think the battery should last? do you think it worthwhile getting a spare.

Hi all,

Newbie here and hope I'm posting this in the right area. Just starting out been interested in buying a detector for awhile and finally in the position of freedom via divorce pursue detecting. Ive been looking at the F1A4 being sold by gold-detectors com au. They quote on their website "Our systems use the same Minelab PI Super Detector Technology as the top of the range $6000 models, but at less than a fifth of the price!"
Can anyone let me know if they are legit? Should i save my $ and buy a GPX 5000? Complete newbie so would appreciate some advice

Cheers

Kav

I am by no means an expert, but what I know is, these are the ex Army units used for bomb detecting, so they would be pretty good in general you would think. They have then given them an upgrade to newer specifications. I believe they are pretty good but cannot offer anything more than that sorry having personally never used one.

HI P924, In the absolute most power hungry settings(Big, large, 8.4v) The detector should run for around 8 hrs. However you will probably find that the big timing is better in STD or small for more average sized nuggets.
Running in Fine, Tiny the battery should last around 24hrs.
There will be 9Ah batteries out in a month or 2 to use as a backup unit to the 12Ah.

Good luck hunting around the old Church site, I'd imagine there is a lot of trash there. Was the Church built on a known gold producing area? Or just near?

AuMan

AuMan, Thankyou, The church site is a known gold area,lots of mulloch heaps & from what I can find out they do pull the odd nugget from the site. Last Sat. I went there again,got lots of old small pieces of iron. There must have been lots of camps there in the old days. P924

mond said:
h
Blind_Freddie said:
Just fit my F1A4 onto some fibreglass/composite shafts, man it looks sweet and it's more evenly balanced now. Love it... :D https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3194/1414391691_f1a4newshafts.jpg
hi how did hook up the control box of the f1 to the new shaft
want to do the same thanks mond
Can you advise what parts, where to get them from and assemblage for the owners of the F1A4's. Would love to do this to my own whilst recouping.
Jaros :p

I used one of these and trimmed it to size, then used a gp/gpx arm rest to clamp it on but then I found that someone had done this. which I thought is a good idea, they've just cut the top off the top of the original piece that was around the original shaft and used a gp/gpx arm rest.

I was speaking with someone who has this unit and has it modded to Level 3. He's been in the game a long time and his returns are up there with the best. So the Level 3 mod would iron out a fair few of the lumps being spoken about.

Hi guys im new here, ive got an F1A4 level 3 detector and im having trouble getting started, eg; what is the proper procedure when turning it on and grounding it? i know it sounds silly but like i said im new at this,, i would love some feedback please, Russ :(

russ g said:
Hi guys im new here, ive got an F1A4 level 3 detector and im having trouble getting started, eg; what is the proper procedure when turning it on and grounding it? i know it sounds silly but like i said im new at this,, i would love some feedback please, Russ :(
Hi Russ, Can you please clarify one thing for me. What type battery does it have? If it has the Aluminium battery with a voltage adjustment, this is a Jack Lange Level 3 which I can give you instructions for. If it has the plastic camcorder type battery it was done by detectormods who might be able to help you out. They are not the same machine and the instructions will be different.

Jaros, the link you have given is just for testing and minor maintenance of the standard F1A4 detectors and has nothing to do with the Level 1, 2 or 3 that were sold by Jack Lange. I guess it is a bit confusing considering the same names, but the level system was used just so one would know what they were getting in terms of the modifications done if purchased from Goldhunter Detectors or one of its distributors. The others out there doing them and calling them a level 1,2 or 3 didn't/don't necessarily do the same mods, mods to the exact same specification or workmanship on the inside as the JL ones.

AuMan

Thanks for your replys,

Hi AuMan,
I have the aluminium battery pack with the voltage adjustment, (bought machine from Goldhunter ). I know there is a process to go through, but not sure on the order. I have checked for manuals and video's but haven't been able to find something that will guide me through the process and give me clear instructions.
Thanks

Hi Russ,

I have sent you an email...

I am assuming that you have the stock coil you want to use(dark green 8" coil) and this is coil you want to use?
Turn the battery on(charge it if you have not done so already) and set it around the 7v mark.
Turn the detector on!
Start out with the timing switch to either std or fine and set the frequency switch to tiny. If you want/need to you can change all settings while the detector is running. However be prepared as the detector will wail/moan while making adjustments, so you probably want to turn the volume down a bit.
Gain, set to the Fp mark(factory preset. With the detector set here it has the equivalent gain as standard)
Channel switch set to "both" to start off with.
Volume, set it to where you like it.
Threshold, set to just breaking so you can still hear the threshold tone a bit.
Tone, set to your liking.

If the machine is warbling or unstable, rest the detector on the ground, coil down flat and press the "noise cancel" button. Wait 70 seconds for the frequency scan to complete.
The "audio reset" was the original way the threshold was set. It was necessary as a way was needed to set the threshold back to the factory intended state if the electronics drifted a little. You now have the threshold control, but if it makes you feel good, press the "audio reset" before adjusting the threshold control.

Now you need to ground balance the machine. Push and hold the green button on the handle and raise and lower the coil to the ground(pump up and down) until the detector no longer picks up any response from the ground. If you have a look on youtube you will find many gold recovery videos that in them will show the user ground balancing a detector, however I don't know that you will specifically find a vid on how to ground balance a detector.

Then go forth and find nuggets :D and junk and those goddamn pesky shotgun pellets!

AuMan

AU man
I have a stock standard F1A4 would like to upgrade but I don't know how to pm you to get an idea on cost and time, your help would be appreciated
Karl

Latest posts