Storms in South Auzzie land

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Storms, Lightning, and rain in South Australia.
all the water tanks are full, nice.
all the farms have sheep in the sheds keeping them dry
ready for shearing.
If you are on the road in South Australia, >>Take care driving,
Real wild weather here.

Hope the weather gets better in a couple months because it's been terrible over there for the past year, a lot of wind bcause it's so flat around Moonta/Wallaroo.

I was there for 3 weeks a month back and it was blowy nearly everyday and was bad for fishing and squiding most of the time I was over there... I was be going back for 2 months shortly and I'm hoping it will get better for the fishing :cool:

Nothing like a good blow to get the 60 cm KG elbow slappers on the chew around Moonta or Port Hughes mate , heading there myself next week only problem is the freezer is almost empty of Goolwa cockles until season opens again in November.
Best bait by far for the big whiting but price to buy them is now ridiculous since it got trendy to eat the bloody things :(

Cheers and tight lines

Bacchus said:
Nothing like a good blow to get the 60 cm KG elbow slappers on the chew around Moonta or Port Hughes mate , heading there myself next week only problem is the freezer is almost empty of Goolwa cockles until season opens again in November.
Best bait by far for the big whiting but price to buy them is now ridiculous since it got trendy to eat the bloody things :(

Cockles are great for whiting. Squid tentacles work pretty good also, stays on the hook good too. Caught a few with squid.

Going for whiting at Port Hughes beach is great, walk a kilometre down the beach to the left of the jetty has always been a good spot for beach fishing at night. Nice sandy spots about 50 metres out.

Only a couple of light showers down here so far in the South East of SA although I hear there is a bit more rain predicted for today

Yeah meant to be a bit crappy for a few days down here. Razor fish is what the fishermen use on the whiting over in KI. My mum and dad live at King score and dad use to have his moorings right on top of a whiting hole. About 100m out was a big sand bar where they breed up, heaps of razor fish in waist deep water on the way out to the moorings. We got 30 in about 2 hours. Great fishing. Big king Georges. :)

KI really is gods country Chewey and I assume you meant Kingscote not King Island :) ? Must be those great wookie paws of yours on the keyboard ? talking of eating bait , razor fish with a bit of chilli and garlic on a red hot BBQ for 30 seconds with a nice cold Coopers is about as good as it gets on a hot day

Cheers

Not wanting to hijack the weather thread but can you guys from the South East advise anywhere to go for a swing down your way ? In November we are going to Donovans Landing for some Glenelg river fishing and Kayaking and was hoping to take the SDC for a walk , the forests around that way look great on Google but have not heard of any gold bearing ground there abouts

Cheers

Yeah ya dead right about them razor fish being tasty, the locals love them. I call Kangaroo Island KI for short. It sux bickies down here for prospecting though. No known gold bearing ground anywhere around. The area is volcanic but very young, last eruption was about 5000 years ago at 1pm on a Tuesday I think it was. I have heard of old oil derricks drillingof oil deposits in days long gone in the Nelson/Donovans area, lots of caves down that way. Fossils seem to be what we have a lot of here. Lots of limestone (Calcium carbonate), thats what makes the the blue lake look like the water is blue. There was some exploration mob not long ago drilled down to about 70m and found some gold deposits up around Beachport I think it was. We all head to Vic. Lol Dad used to work for a local earth moving co and they found all sorts of fossils and even discovered an underground river. Lots of caves.

Probably end up with that weather over here in Ballarat in a day or two I would say, seems we normally get our weather coming from S.A way & the news said we were getting more rain coming.

Bacchus said:
Not wanting to hijack the weather thread but can you guys from the South East advise anywhere to go for a swing down your way ? In November we are going to Donovans Landing for some Glenelg river fishing and Kayaking and was hoping to take the SDC for a walk , the forests around that way look great on Google but have not heard of any gold bearing ground there abouts

Cheers

Probably better off looking for coins/jewellery, not much if any gold down this way as far as I know. Maybe try the SDC in the water around some of the boat ramps/shallows for lost jewellery would be your best bet. :)

Hopefully all that weather around Adelaide will bypass us down here in the SE, I want to get out for a detect! Looks pretty nasty on the radar, though no lightning associated with it at this stage. :(

Well that storm is still blowen hard here.
The razor fish, good burly for king george to If ya soak rozor hearts
in freash water they will swell up more then pickle em yum.
I love catching king george, thats fun fishing and I do know KI is good
fishing for king george.

Bring on the rain. Hope we got some of what you're getting there Cheese. Driest winter in 9 years here in SA, haven't seen our dams this low in a long time. In the central hills. Love to see the weather clear up for the fishing too but need a decent down pour. Had a little bit last night in Mount Barker. Myponga beach is always good for squid but not so much whiting. Can't beat KI for kidney slapper whiting when fishing down this end though.

Latest posts