old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That one doesn't look too long abandoned - you could imagine the boys could have just gone to church for the Sunday and be back tomorrow ...

Ajax Mine workings, consisting of shafts, open cuts, tunnels and large mullock heaps. Near one of the heaps is a levelled platform with worked stone and brick. Also one large loading ramp and well defined carting track. Sadly, rubbish has been dumped amongst the workings.

Ajax mine Castlemaine - Spring Gully Junction Mine is the entry point for one of Victorias most intact collections of historic quartz mines. The area contains five mines, with well-preserved foundations and mullock heaps.

dean65 said:
Found this abandoned mine in Blackwood today. Because I was on my own I was not able to explore the drive beyond the entrance area.

There's a video on youtube that someone has taken walking back out of the mine. Unfortunately it doesn't extend too far in anymore as it appears the roof has collapsed.

I haven't made enough posts yet to be allowed to post a link, but a simple google search of 'struck oil mine youtube' will take you straight to it.

jakar said:
dean65 said:
Found this abandoned mine in Blackwood today. Because I was on my own I was not able to explore the drive beyond the entrance area.

There's a video on youtube that someone has taken walking back out of the mine. Unfortunately it doesn't extend too far in anymore as it appears the roof has collapsed.

I haven't made enough posts yet to be allowed to post a link, but a simple google search of 'struck oil mine youtube' will take you straight to it.

Thanks. Here is the link:

https://youtu.be/XGduhBv1PbI

Out and about today.
Oh what have we here.
1440591443_1.jpg

Original wooden 1800s wooden rails through the whole place.
1440592663_5.jpg

Side tunnels, yeah, a few.
1440592682_4.jpg

Gday magneticsand,
Love the post mate,
Is that somewhere in the GT?
Looks like a nice adit.
Cheers Steve :D

stoyve said:
Is that somewhere in the GT?

Yep. I have family that have been visiting this one for 30 years.
It has already been bulldozed in once. Its a shame, as a kid I remember the tracks came all the way out and some of the partial outbuildings were still there.

Here are a couple more.

Back towards the entrance.
1440649569_11.jpg

Highly suspect rise above a side tunnel.
1440648186_6.jpg

Quartz covered in pyrite.
1440648210_8.jpg

Not much timber. Some of the remainder looks charred.
1440649383_9.jpg

1440649496_10.jpg

The end of the main drive. I was surprised to get to it, usually flooded.
1440648198_7.jpg

Thanks for these pics. Will have to visit this mine at some stage.

Gday Dean,
Thanks again for your great picsmate, there always awesome.
I love the old infastructure from the Golden Duke Mine particularly.
Sorry we haven't caught up for so long but I've been just to busy.
When I know I'm free I will give you a call, probably in October.
Keep the posts coming.
Cheers Steve :D

Status
Not open for further replies.