Rock with gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to fossicking. I found this rock last week and think I'm on to a rock laced with gold. Is this gold ?
1441032140_image.jpg

If it is,.... I hope it's just a small bit you chipped off the mountain. :eek: ;)

HI CF and welcome to PA.

There is an old saying mate.....if there is any doubt that what your looking at is gold, then it isnt!

Gold is very distinguishable and would be quite obvious in the amounts you beleive are involved with your rock.

Read some of the other threads mate......good advice in the only way to tell is crush and pan!

Even if its a bit distorted color wise by oxidization, weathering etc , You must utilize its specific gravity to tell you for sure.

But sadly no....it dont look like gold to me dude!

Regards

Meta ;)

Ways to determine gold include:
1. Compare its weight to a similar host rock of the same size. A VERY noticeable weight difference will get you excited, but will not be definitive.
2. Specific Gravity Test, but you have to know precisely what the host rock is.
3. The Scratch Test - scratch the "gold" areas and see if the scratches and caused by brittleness or deformation. Silicates are brittle (including Pyrites) providing chips and dust, whereas gold is ductile and will only deform.
4. Measure conductivity with an ohmmeter (this is my favourite). Put both probe tips on the same target grain without touching each other and if you get a reading of a few ohms or less, then get very excited. Try on other grains. Sometimes these grains are connected within the host material. This would be gold.
5. Crush and Pan. This will destroy a potentially valuable specimen, but is a definitive test.
6. The final test is really for the experienced and careful. Etch with a dilute (5%) concentration of Hydroflouric Acid (HF) for a few days to 1 week. This will dissolve ironstone, silicates (Mafic and Felsic) etc, but will not touch the gold. Be VERY careful with using and neutralising/disposing of this acid. Use proper body protection! Use only Nitrile gloves!

I'd be giving a small section a scrape with a knife to see how soft it is and whether you get a nice bright gold showing as opposed to the seeming dull look as shown in the picture.
Good luck

Latest posts