Old "school" adventure

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Went out to an old school site today long since a cleared site with the tell tale pines and peppercorns.
I half expected the site to be
a. Trashy beyond detecting or
b. Hunted out.
We'll you could have knocked me over with a feather, the steel junk was not nearly as bad as I had imagined, and the targets although a bit of work involved was easy digs and just a little more interesting than I might have guessed. The downside was I was a little short on time, today was my Mum's birthday and I was in transit. She has had a bit of a rough go of it of late with a recent breast cancer diagnosis and treatment and although I have taken her a couple of times for her treatment today was a good day to give her a hug and acknowledge her as a person rather than a patient. Any how....
The first couple of treasures out of the holes were shell casings and spent rounds, after the hunt all I can say is the site must have seen the typical rural shoot up that a lot of places used to before the guns were handed back. Interesting but not what I was after.

The first real treasure was a 1923 penny date side up, and then later a 1901 half penny. First seated half penny for me so a win despite both coins being toasted on the underside. The big plus is if there's 2 then I'm sure there is more. They were relatively shallow less than 6 inches so the site holds further promise. Picked up an harmonica inner which was a bit past it's best.

I hit a couple of strange lead pieces that have inscriptions stamped in. I'll have to get a pic up to see if anyone recognizes what they are....I simply do not have the slightest idea of what they are. There is a couple of numbers stamped in, and one has VIC imprinted in it, they are roughly the diameter of a 1c piece and rather thick. I'm excited as to what they may be, definitely a different era.

Rounded out the hunt with some relics of no great importance and a few buttons in poor condition. It's funny none of these things are particularly exciting but I felt like a treasure hunter out there today....and wonder what else might be waiting to be collected. The site is quite large and I think there's more than a few days of further fun ahead of me to go.

sound like a good day out GT,....where even the lead sounds interesting as well ! ;)

Very good , sounds like a site with great potential
The uncertainty of a hunt is what makes the really good finds that much more special

1440934626_img_20150830_213618.jpg
1440934645_img_20150830_213541.jpg

Any ideas....not from my school days that's for sure.

I missed the local historical society by 10 mins..... They are a cluey bunch so maybe next weekend. They have two small holes in them at like 10 and 2 position. That pic is upside down I'll donate the finds (as I always do) whatever they are. One day I'll buy a loupe so I can read the tiny things, it's been on the list for too long.

Ah yes....The puzzle is starting to come together. The school site is across the tracks from an older railway stop! Perhaps the junk is mixed up or the rail stored things at the school site or the kids might have picked them up. Looks like the site might be twice the fun if there's anything on the station side now. Cheers sandta, gave me a free kick there.
Looks like I have some history to learn, never seen a lead seal before.

Sounds like a good site GT. Hope your Mum feels better soon mate. My friend had it a few years back, so far has been fine since treatment. All the best.

this is a good indication the area you found them is worth investigating further. could be a very old site there early 1800's, maybe a holy dollar is lurking

Digger Danny said:
They are lead security seals, they were replaced with sealing wax.

Security seals for what? Sealing wax is brittle and weak, so it's only useful on an envelope, surely? Lead security seals were commonly used on mailbags, as they were tamper-proof and strong.

When I read the headline I thought you must have grew your mullet out, grabbed a couple of cases of KB & headed out to put the Whites Coinmaster 4B thru its paces against the "new" Garrett Groundhog ADS :lol:

grubstake said:
Digger Danny said:

Security seals for what? Sealing wax is brittle and weak, so it's only useful on an envelope, surely? Lead security seals were commonly used on mailbags, as they were tamper-proof and strong.

You have a point grubstake, I just remember as a kid finding some of the lead ones on the railway station and the station master told me what they were (Security seals for mail bags) and said "we do not use them now we use sealing wax instead. Its got me thinking now. May be they use paper bags for mail bags now :| :|

Cheers DD

Digger Danny said:
grubstake said:
Digger Danny said:

You have a point grubstake, I just remember as a kid finding some of the lead ones on the railway station and the station master told me what they were (Security seals for mail bags) and said "we do not use them now we use sealing wax instead. Its got me thinking now. May be they use paper bags for mail bags now :| :|

Cheers DD

I just goggled MAIL BAG SEALING WAX and there are few examples.

Cheers DD

Latest posts