Manual or auto

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grunta69

Grant Stewart
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm upgrading my 4x4 and I've allways had manuals .the dealer reckons automatics are better for up the bush! So does any one drive and auto ?

I converted mine from Auto to Manual. From my experience in the Vic High Country, Manuals are much better for the long descent. Thats about the only negative point I could bring up about Autos, especially if towing or carrying a lot of extra weight. I prefer letting the engine slow me down rather than being on the brakes the whole way down.

I switched to auto with a Prado in the mid-90's after an unhappy experience with a grossly underpowered, manual, non-turbo diesel 4Runner. Since then I haven't even thought of going back to a manual gearbox 4WD, with the Prado followed by an auto RAV4 and now an auto turbo diesel HiLux. I love my autos and an auto + turbo diesel is a marriage made in heaven, IMHO. :)

But I haven't been into anything particularly rough and tough with my 4WD's and I guess the answer to your question in part depends on how and where you intend to use your vehicle.

NeoGeo said:
I converted mine from Auto to Manual. From my experience in the Vic High Country, Manuals are much better for the long descent. Thats about the only negative point I could bring up about Autos, especially if towing or carrying a lot of extra weight. I prefer letting the engine slow me down rather than being on the brakes the whole way down.

Some of the newer autos have a downhill braking feature. Just saying :D

With an auto you can always select the lowest gear anyway and use engine braking, actually the Prado manual states that you actually should do this going down a steep decent to preserve your brakes. I do it all the time and my transmission is fine, people who say it destroys transmissions obviously don't read the manual.

If extra steep I'll stop, put it in low range then select 1st and just crawl down, only needing to brake very gently when necessary.

As RJ said some newer models have "crawl control" which does basically the same thing with the press of a button plus automatically uses brakes too.

Heatho said:
With an auto you can always select the lowest gear anyway and use engine braking, actually the Prado manual states that you actually should do this going down a steep decent to preserve your brakes. I do it all the time and my transmission is fine, people who say it destroys transmissions obviously don't read the manual.

If extra steep I'll stop, put it in low range then select 1st and just crawl down, only needing to brake very gently when necessary.

As RJ said some newer models have "crawl control" which does basically the same thing with the press of a button plus automatically uses brakes too.

X2

Many 4WD AT's have a sport mode button which alternates as "manual mode" when low range is selected and this locks the torque convertor and allows you to take advantage of engine braking without fear of the "runaway" that is experienced when descending in D[rive] or D for [datway] :lol:
so lock the centre diff, select low range, pull it out of D(rive) and into 1st gear + Point the nose downhill and let it walk down... perfect for Vic High Country long descents :D

NB: remember cos the AT is not in automode if you brake to a stop you can stall the engine...

numpty said:
I don't have a 4x4 and never owned an auto, I always liked the idea of knowing I can roll start the car if my battery go's flat.

Does roll/push starting work with modern computer-controlled engines and fuel injection systems?

grubstake said:
numpty said:
I don't have a 4x4 and never owned an auto, I always liked the idea of knowing I can roll start the car if my battery go's flat.

Does roll/push starting work with modern computer-controlled engines and fuel injection systems?
Good question! Now I think of it I've never had to push start or help push start a newer vehicle.

Edit: had a quick look & it seems that it is possible but manufacturers recommend not doing it.

grubstake said:
numpty said:

Tow start maybe.

I always had a manual 4x4 since my first Navara in 1998. I have an auto now because of the missus and it's actually just as good and I prefer it now.
The only downfall would be you can't rock back and forth when stuck in the mud but there are other ways around this.

- clutches need changing.
- manuals get better fuel economy like with say a NS Pajero. 9.2 L/100 for a manual & 10.5 for the auto. That's more than 10% difference. A 4000 klm trip could see a difference of about $70.
- some manual versions go without a DPF which would be nice to avoid maintenance wise.

bushpig said:
grubstake said:
numpty said:

Tow start maybe.

I always had a manual 4x4 since my first Navara in 1998. I have an auto now because of the missus and it's actually just as good and I prefer it now.
The only downfall would be you can't rock back and forth when stuck in the mudbut there are other ways around this.

:/ ...why can't you? - I can

Car theives are less likely to steal a manual , so they say . Seems the modern day crims need some driving lessons .
Towing with an auto can have heating probs ,an dearer to repair transission probs but auto's are supposed to be good on sand , particularly hill climbs .
Thats my 2 bobs worth :cool: .

Spot on with sand and auto's.
My Hilux I did a conversion to a Commodore motor and Auto.
Fantastic when you either have sand, mud or tricky hill climbs but, A manual gives you better fuel
and less heating problems.
Pretty much a horses for courses and really depends on what you use your vehicle for. :D

Tathradj said:
Spot on with sand and auto's.
My Hilux I did a conversion to a Commodore motor and Auto.
Fantastic when you either have sand, mud or tricky hill climbs but, A manual gives you better fuel
and less heating problems.
Pretty much a horses for courses and really depends on what you use your vehicle for. :D

My model Hilux is renowned for generating massive amounts of heat through the torque converter and because the transmission cooler is in the radiator, it is prone to overheating when towing up long gradual hills and on sand. I could have done a mod to lock the converter, but that can be problematic. Clearly the newer lockable model autos are built the be able to withstand the extra forces generated and the new common rail Hilux is great with an auto. Though is still prefer a manual and I will till I'm too old to use one. Love my manual 3ltr turbo Diesel Hilux and with its 3" dump pipe and 3' mandrel bent exhaust it sounds like a tractor and the sound of the turbo through the 3" stainless snorkel is awesome :D

Latest posts