Minelab CTX3030 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like most of the top of the line coin/relic detectors these days, they are set up with factory programs making them relatively turn on and go detectors. This allows for easier learning when first starting out. Later on when more experienced is gained, you can delve into the various other settings and customised programs to suit the areas/targets you detect.

Best to go to a dealer for a demo first before outlaying your cash. Nothing like handling a new detector in the flesh to see whether it suits. :)

I also reccomend downloading manuals to familiarise yourself with a detector before purchase, I'd been reading the CTX manual months before buying one.

Hi all, I have just purchased my 3030 and am getting my head around the id charts. So this will help me big time thank you.

Are there any other coils around for the CTX?

I know there's the CTX 06 and the 17 Smart Coil from Minelab, are there any other coils from different brands for the CTX?

Just a heads up for 3030 owners after chatting with a Minelab technician the other day. When detecting it is advised that you tighten the the nut where the coil attaches to the shaft and to not let the coil rest flat on the ground everytime you recover a target from the ground. All the constant movement will make the coil cable wires break, the technician said they will replace coils due to breakage but said eventually it will run out of warranty and said coils are expensive to replace regularly.

Anyway I think that cables should be tougher than that but that was the advice given to me. I use my detector very often so I have just tightened it up a bit to stop the cable flexing all the time, hopefully I will have no more cable breakages.

goldwright said:
Thanks Heatho, I figured they would of changed the CTX coil and lower shaft to be the same as the GPZ, eliminate this problem all together.

Would be perfect if they could make them the same, makes you wonder why they don't change it, couldn't be too hard or expensive to redesign???

I just called ML to ask about the upgrade and the service dept aren't too sure about it yet as it hasn't been implemented just yet but in a few few weeks more info should be available. The tech said it will be a new seal on the battery so if looking to upgrade a new battery will be needed, anyway batteries dont last forever so when/if mine dies I'll be upgrading for sure.

Heatho said:
I just called ML to ask about the upgrade and the service dept aren't too sure about it yet as it hasn't been implemented just yet but in a few few weeks more info should be available. The tech said it will be a new seal on the battery so if looking to upgrade a new battery will be needed, anyway batteries dont last forever so when/if mine dies I'll be upgrading for sure.
If they built it properly it shouldn't need upgrading.
If i had one and it leaked and now they are upgrading that would be a manufacture fault. I wouldn't be happy

jarrahrules said:
Heatho said:
If they built it properly it shouldn't need upgrading.
If i had one and it leaked and now they are upgrading that would be a manufacture fault. I wouldn't be happy

Generally it was people getting sand into where the seal sits and then immersing it again without propper cleaning. Minelab probably got sick of fixing them and created a better seal and battery setup. Definitely a bit of a design issue that sand could get in there in the first place.

Latest posts