Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enhance and Sensitive smooth increase your risk of tracking targets out. Keep your sweeps nice and wide across the target area or just hold down the quick track button to Fix the tracking.

Just a point in your settings, you are only ever operating in one timing - whatever the position of the front panel switch is.

A lot depends on the shape of a nugget as well as the weight with the GPX series. This is why the SDC is so good at mopping up where GPX's have been, GPX's just seem to miss some targets depending on shape and size.

Goldfield Joe said:
Hi Rick, I picked up my 4500 this week and took three test nuggets out to the area I intended to detect.

I only did an air test with the standard 15x12 and it picked up all three no worries. The smallest piece was .2g not much bigger than yours and it gave a definite signal.

As for burying it I am still yet to try that. Not sure how deep the 45 would be able to detect a .2g piece with the 15x12 but will try that out as well. As new users of these machines we have a lot of learning ahead!

Been reading the manual this week and realised that I've got a lot to learn. Hopefully if the rain eases up a bit ill have another attempt this week with a few different settings and see what happens. So far I've basically only used the factory beginners settings so that's probably why not much success so far. Before getting this 4500 I've only ever had about 2 hours of detecting experience.

For comparison, on my last trip to Laanacoorie, I picked up a 0.1gr, about 1" down, with a 12x7 nugget finder on a 5000.

Settings were, Special, Fine Gold, I had the Rx and target volume higher than FP

Jin, check out the YouTube video by Nugget magnet on the 4500, I'm giving his settings ago..If the ground is not too hot, and you can run those settings I don't think you will miss much..Cheers

Have a search for threads in relation to the coil itself, some people have good success with it on the 4500 and 5000 detectors.

I can't give any feedback of my own; as there is a delay on supply of the coil and waiting for mine to be sent in the mail.

Worse case scenario is purchasing the coil and reselling second hand for somewhere between discounted cost price and the $450ish new value, should sell quickly as it seems to be in good demand.

Edit
Took another look around and found a video by Nenad. Watching that atm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mb1-zLbsxw

From a few things I have heard it is definitely worth it even at $450. One dealer has even said if you buy it and do not like it you can bring it back for a full refund. Can't get better than that.

Glad I could help someone else out with the same issues I had on the which detector puzzle. Hit up the same thread I linked in one of your previous threads for some more of my posts, where I pick the collective minds of the forum to get the most out of this detector. :cool:

I have got my Coiltek 14" Mono Elite in the mail today so they must be hard at work in the factory to meet demand for the coil.

W3bgold yes your help and posts were very helpful also they said it will be a week or so till i receive my coil as i was told coiltek are way behind and never thought i would be so popular thanks again

Gofind 60..I'm in Adelaide,also just got a new 4500 and camo coil,had a bit of a play already if you want to catch up and do some testing..yell out more than happy to share my limited experience..Mt Crawford has a range of varied ground and close to town..

Latest posts